Marshall DSL1 Head Amp-opinions wanted

laterider

Reaction score
Checking out tomorrow. Will break stay-at-home request to meet masked man in a parking lot. If going for a jog is essential, so is a NAD!
Good luck and stay safe!!! This is my favorite 'at home' tube amp, I've built several low watt amps and have had other low watt amps too but still like this best. I currently have it on top my 1936 2x12 and run it into just 'one side' as that cab is 2x12 at 8 ohms or each speaker separate at 16 ohms. Make sure you use 16 ohm cab as its only rated for that.

I'm actually thinking to get a second one to sit side by side on top my 1936 and drive the other speaker, either through slaving them or just for switching externally for practice with a looper.

Looking forward to NAD post!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yeah they are really quite nice. I did find it needed a totally different EQ to the dirty tones though. But the reverb you can turn up halfway and it doesn't get out of control.
Sweet! I use an Ibanez EQ pedal in the loop, so maybe I can tweak there to compensate. I also don't have plans to use both. I just like to try the cleans out on any amp. But my main desire is to get something approximating a JCM800 sound and learn and play every riff off of Ride The Lightning. :headbanger:
Good luck and stay safe!!! This is my favorite 'at home' tube amp, I've built several low watt amps and have had other low watt amps too but still like this best. I currently have it on top my 1936 2x12 and run it into just 'one side' as that cab is 2x12 at 8 ohms or each speaker separate at 16 ohms. Make sure you use 16 ohm cab as its only rated for that.

I'm actually thinking to get a second one to sit side by side on top my 1936 and drive the other speaker, either through slaving them or just for switching externally for practice with a looper.

Looking forward to NAD post!
Thanks, brother! Yep, both of my cabs and my Two Notes loadbox are rated for 16ohms. I'm also a pedal-whore, so the FX loop is sweet. My plans are also to just mess around with it at home. However, my band jams with IEMs, and if we ever get back to gigs will be the same. I can run this amp to the PA through the loadbox and any number of IRs I've accumulated...gnarly!!

Yes,I dig marshall cleans.
The only thing better is the JC120
WOW! When I first started playing, a friend got me into it by playing the cowboy chords he wrote into his original tunes (which sounded a lot like Neil Young). We rented studio space by the hour, and I always got 'stuck' with the JC120 in the room. That's where I first heard clean electric guitar and that magical Roland chorus circuit. I was just strumming simple progressions, and I thought I was a guitar god.

For you to make that comparison says something. I'm looking forward to this!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Sits in, right at home, with big brother Orange standing by.

722A0B58-6485-4E0E-94D0-0449A6374A21.jpeg

What a fun little amp. I’ve only had the opportunity to play it through some IRs that are set to the Orange. Hot damn, it sounds kickass. Very much looking forward to trying it out with a number of Marshall 4x12 cab IRs.
My first inclination on the Classic channel was to grind through as many Bon Scott-era AC/DC riffs. Killer! Then I switched over to the Ultra channel, tuned down to drop C# and got all doomy and boomy. Amazing grind! Main Metal ingredient. This channel is noisy when not playing, I suppose the same would be true, standing beside a cranked, high-gain Marshall.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sits in, right at home, with big brother Orange standing by.

View attachment 512428
What a fun little amp. I’ve only had the opportunity to play it through some IRs that are set to the Orange. Hot damn, it sounds kickass. Very much looking forward to trying it out with a number of Marshall 4x12 cab IRs.
My first inclination on the Classic channel was to grind through as many Bon Scott-era AC/DC riffs. Killer! Then I switched over to the Ultra channel, tuned down to drop C# and got all doomy and boomy. Amazing grind! Main Metal ingredient. This channel is noisy when not playing, I suppose the same would be true, standing beside a cranked, high-gain Marshall.
YES!!!!!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
And.....it's gone. Yes, this amp is fun through a cab and is a blast for playing Metal riffs. But through my headphone rig, this was one helluva noisy amp. Not a problem when grinding out riffs, but it was just plain awful with clean tones and single coil pickups.

So, I traded it last night for a Friedman BE-OD and a BOSS Harmonist PS-6. The Friedman is a pedal that I should have never traded away, but I do not regret getting my Yamaha Revstar in return (plus $100 on my end). It was a deal I just couldn't pass up at the time. However, I sort of knew I'd end up with another. FWIW, it sounds FAR better through the Natural channel on my Orange than the Marshall ever did, at least through headphones.

The BOSS pedal is likely far beyond my simple playing skills, but I'll give it a shot. If not, they seem to hold their value, and there's not a lot of them on the used market. All in all, a good experience and it all ended very well. :)

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to hear that. I bought it because of the USB/headphone/Line out aspect. I hate to admit it, but I haven't messed with any of it. I've been having so much fun with it through my C10 Marshall cab, I haven't gotten around to it. That's gonna disappoint me, but it will still be worth the ticket price for me as a bedroom amp.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I hate to hear that. I bought it because of the USB/headphone/Line out aspect. I hate to admit it, but I haven't messed with any of it. I've been having so much fun with it through my C10 Marshall cab, I haven't gotten around to it. That's gonna disappoint me, but it will still be worth the ticket price for me as a bedroom amp.
Don’t be down on my experience. I was running it through a load box into my Mac. This setup was the noisy one I’m bitching about. I have tried the line out direct to headphones and it was very quiet. You may want to run it to a small board or headphone amp to get more volume.

I agree, through a cab, it’s a helluva lot of fun. Recording with a mic, I bet this sounds like a beast.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
As someone who's tried numerous headphone setups, I don't think there's many great options out there to be honest, especially with tube amps and getting a decent clean sound without headphone clipping. Right now I have a load box + DRRI and OD pedals. It's okay for now, but I'd like to try a new setup eventually.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cabs (other than the Vox mentioned earlier) are y'all using. Mine has been sitting idle since I purchased it. I don't have much room on the left for a cab but I hate to waste it. The emulated output leaves a lot to be desired imho when using headphones or direct into the DAW.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
What cabs (other than the Vox mentioned earlier) are y'all using. Mine has been sitting idle since I purchased it. I don't have much room on the left for a cab but I hate to waste it. The emulated output leaves a lot to be desired imho when using headphones or direct into the DAW.
Look for an old Marshall Micro Stack (sometimes called "mini stack"). You can occasionally find them cheap on Craigslist and other online sales sites. I managed to snag a Korean made micro stack for $180, then netted $250 parting out the head and speakers. I then used that money toward the DSL1 and a pair of Celestion G10-V's. You just have to build a 2-to-1 serial splitter box to make the 16-ohm output match up with two 8-ohm speakers. Or you can find a single Micro Stack cabinet pretty easily, and just replace the speaker with a nice 16-ohm speaker. When you're done, you have a killer looking amp that will sound great at a decent volume, or very, very loud if you want.

I'm sure the current marshall 112's will sound great with it too.

IMG_1303a.jpg

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
As someone who's tried numerous headphone setups, I don't think there's many great options out there to be honest, especially with tube amps and getting a decent clean sound without headphone clipping. Right now I have a load box + DRRI and OD pedals. It's okay for now, but I'd like to try a new setup eventually.
Sorry to hear that! I LOVE my headphone setup:

Guitar--->pedalboard--->Orange Rocker 15 Terror--->Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16--->Mooer Radar--->Presonus interface--->Macbook Pro w/GarageBand

murmel

Reaction score
They are pcb. It's just the whole "Limited Edition" and "50th Anni" and "Made in UK" Schtick.

I believe that Marshall actually said that they would not remake them. But they did do the DSL1 (good move).

It will be interesting to see what they will do next year for the 60th Anni???
Next year? OMG I feel old now. 50th feels like yesterday. Jim died that year, when I remember it correctly. I have a JCM 1 combo, a JCM 1 head and a JVM 1 head. I like the JVM best.
IMG_7324.jpeg

Latest Threads