Marshall DSL 15

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I went to my buddies house last night and got to play his DSL 40 and fell in love with the tone.

I dont need something that powerful, so i did some looking and found the DSL 15, Im interested in the head to push a 2x12 cab i built with green back clones in it.

Anyone own one or gotten to play though one?

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Unless you want super fizz gain, the Ultra Gain channel is a waste of time. I only use Classic Gain and boost it. Not a bad amp, was the best I could find and try out locally, in the price range, when I got mine.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like the DSL40's tone, you might be unpleasantly surprised with the DSL15. Remember, the DSL40 has EL34s and the DSL15 has 6V6s, so they sound very different. The new DSL20 has EL34s, plus a couple newer features like emulated out and a better low power mode. I'd definitely check one out before buying the DSL15.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I always thought that Marshall dropped the ball with the DSL15. All the other amps in that series have an fx loop that one doesn't.
The newer DSLs should be better.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I always thought that Marshall dropped the ball with the DSL15. All the other amps in that series have an fx loop that one doesn't.

And also, the head version doesn't have reverb either, on top of no loop. The DSL20 has it all. Additionally, on the DSL15 the two different channels aren't very friendly to each other on that shared EQ.

Just My Take,
Gene

The Ballzz

Reaction score
A look at a schematic will show exactly why it does what it does, though different tubes may change it a little bit.

Just My $.02,
Gene

Pete M

Reaction score
It was enough for me to just watch a few videos on youtube to tell that the older DSL15 and DSL5 tone absolutely stinks. Miniature beehives. The DSL40C seems like it might work however the overall cheapness of it puts me off. I'd like to try the newer ones sometime.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I think if you changed out the 1 or all of the preamp tubes, (12AX7s), to 5751s or even 12AT7s, you’d tame a lot of that fizziness.
Went thru a few hoops with it, hence why I treat it as a single-channel now :yesway:

grayd8

Reaction score

Plus the speaker in the combo did that amp no justice, but yeah the no loop was a deal breaker for me as well.

vantage

Reaction score
I bought a like new DSL15 on eBay for $240 total because it was blowing fuses. I put a new fuse in after checking for obvious shorts. Turned it on and saw a flash from one power tube before it blew the fuse. Swapped out a matched pair of JJ tubes and the amp worked perfectly! Set bias at 21mv, but it was already set close to that.

I replaced the grille with plexi cloth as I always do because I like the look of it. Swapped out the horrible speaker with a Celestion vintage V30 and it sounds so much better than stock. Gain channel would barely adjust from 3-10 setting, you only heard it compress. I followed the gain mod that was posted online. It involves adding a resistor to an unused location and changing a resistor value. Result is less gain, but very controllable from 1-10 setting.

Marshall DSL15.jpg

Angry Possum

Reaction score
Loving the DSL15h so far with my MX212a Bottom. I'm going to swap out the original Valve 1 tube with a JJ ECC823 and see if that tones down the red channel a bit.

Reactions: JvZ

JvZ

Reaction score
That's what it did for me
Put a V30 in my DSL15c, and a ECC823 in V1 . (Just as i did in my JVM210).

I love this adorable little amp ..!!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both and I like the dsl15 clean channel best with an OD in front. I prefer it as it has no reverb and loop. But to be fair I would sell both and not miss either.

JvZ

Reaction score
Loving the DSL15h so far with my MX212a Bottom. I'm going to swap out the original Valve 1 tube with a JJ ECC823 and see if that tones down the red channel a bit.
That’s just all it needs.!
It’s one of the best. It has an extra preamp tube over the DSL20, and sounds better in my opinion. (Personal preference).

The day i need a FX in it, i’ll put one in.
It’s an easy job. So far i never missed it yet.

Latest Threads