Marshall Contour Control

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me how the Marshall Contour Control works? I have an older Valvestate 30 and it sounds almost the same to me no matter where it is set.

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe its not operational any more, or has been negated by eq controls already in operation. Its a mids control anyhow......generally a scoop.

freefrog

Reaction score
Contour controls on Valvestate's are extremely efficient IME. Almost too much. So, if this control has no effect in a given amp, there's probably a problem in the circuit.

dodona

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me how the Marshall Contour Control works? I have an older Valvestate 30 and it sounds almost the same to me no matter where it is set.
then its broken.
Basically its a early version of the ISF control of modern blackstar amps.

Reactions: TM1

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys. I think I'll just use the clean channel with a pedal in front of it. That sounds pretty good to me.

wildschwein

Reaction score
The solder on the Contour pot is probably cracked. VS amps often have issues with this because the pots are soldered directly to the the board and if the pot washers get loose the pots can flex at the mounting point. Take it it to a tech and they can check this.

Latest Threads