Marshall Class 5, first tube amp?

GhostToMost

Reaction score
I bought a C5 about a month ago and I love it. It is not a bedroom amp. I have to bring it to my warehouse at work on the weekend to crank it and let it roar. I love the tone. I keep it low volume at home and will run OD through it.

singlecut

Reaction score
I bought a C5 about a month ago and I love it. It is not a bedroom amp. I have to bring it to my warehouse at work on the weekend to crank it and let it roar. I love the tone. I keep it low volume at home and will run OD through it.

mike cooley fan?

MagPel

Reaction score
This may not be the case in your particular scenario, but I've found that small rooms (like the carpeted, acoustic tile-ceilinged finished basements many people use for band practice) tend to suck clarity, making it seem like you're not as loud as you really are. I used to have a Peavey Classic 50 4X10, actually that was my only amp back when I was in high school. It was stupid loud when cranked. Way louder than anything I needed at that time. We used to have band practice at our drummer's house, which had a carpeted room in their basement dedicated to music. Part of it was the drummer not being the most sensitive player, but that amp never seemed loud enough to keep up with the drums. Between the treble getting sucked up by the carpet, and the fact that the sound waves had nowhere to travel and were just refracted back to you by the walls, it was like the sound just was magically getting sucked into a black hole. Every band practice, me and my brother (playing out of an also-way-too-loud 1970's Acoustic bass stack) would both be reaching for the volume knob every 5 minutes while playing. Then afterwards we'd wonder why our ears were ringing so badly when we couldn't hear a single thing we were playing. And of course the drummer was just oblivious (f*ckin' drummers, lol). "I thought we (I) sounded grrreat, gdduurrhh." Anyways, long story short, I hate playing in rooms like that, and with drummers like that. That combination can make any amp sound like it's never enough.

Funny that you mentioned that. Untill last sunday we have been rehersing in an old office building where the acoustics were pretty good. Not studio dead or concrete wall echoing, but something rather nice inbetween. Now we have moved into a smaller room that has walls and ceiling covered with sound deadening material. We had a little time to practice after moving in and we were astouned by how different everyone sounded. This might actually be to my advantage if the other guys gets toned down a bit... We'll see. I COULD go for a boost pedal for the lead stuff but i am desperatly trying to keep a minimalistic rig and just work the knobs on the guitar. The other guitarrist has a pedalboard that weighs twise as much as my head (just the chassie though, no box yet). We have different philosophies. But it works soundwise.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the C5-01 at $350.00 (what I paid) is well worth the price. The C5 is a true all-tube, made in England Marshall, with great Marshall tones, a .1 watt setting (that sold me), in a nice vintage looking real-wood cabinet, and quality tolex and speaker cloth.

I am really happy with my C5 at the price that I paid. It is now my most used practice amp and is perfect for a quick grab-and-go jam session without dragging out my big Marshalls for an hour of jamming.

I doubt that I would have bought the current C5 at $499.00 but if it had a Master Volume and 12" Celestion Speaker I would have probably paid up to $500-$600.

Chondropython

Reaction score
I have the C5 head. I like it, but I'm not overly impressed. I does do that classic Marshall sound pretty well, but that's it... forget about cleans if you want to play at moderate volume... it starts to break up when you turn it to 2.

There are definitely more versatile amps for the price (the Fenders mentioned above), but I still think it was a good deal for what I paid for it... quailty seems to be there and it looks very nice.

Latest Threads