Marshall 1960a Cab help!!

Reaction score
ok so I want to run a 8 ohm head into the 1960a cab BUT there is only 16 ohm and 4 ohm mono inputs.. but there is a stereo setting that is 8 Ohm each side (2 speakers ) Can I safely turn the cab to stereo and use my head with just 2 speakers without damaging the head or the cab ?

Any help appreciated I need to know before tomorrow night and Marshall will probably take days to get back to me

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You have a mono/stereo switch. So, then yes - you can, easily. Plugging the output of your amp in one input of the stereo pair is 8 ohms. The other pair will not be in the circuit. Make sure you flip the switch to stereo.

If your head is SS, you can just run it into the full 16 ohm mono load. I suspect that is not the case here, though.

Tubes? Right?

Reaction score
dude thank you!! it is tube, it is an 1966 YBA-1 by Traynor... vintage so I don't wanna go blowing any transformers out or blowing speakers or anything. I have been asking around on forums and my friends all night for this answer so thanks!

I can't wait to see how it sounds!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No prob... I have a 1960a and sometimes, I use it with 2 different heads (each 8 ohm output). I just flip the switch to "stereo" and plug one amp in L and the other in R.

Remember that each side of the cab will only handle 150W in this mode. And, make ABSOLUTE CERTAIN that the switch is in stereo. If not, you risk damaging your head from an impedance mismatch.

L & R... they will each sound different, perhaps only a minor difference. But, you may prefer one side more than the other.

Enjoy!

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I love my 1960a! Great for two amps mixing effects, and effects with dry! All the standing on my head to triple check where the switch is set and what is plugged in gets tedious. But the versatility is worth every nosebleed!

Reaction score
Yeah they are great lightweight cabs ! thanks ALOT Steve.

I actually use a 2x12 with greenbacks at home and for giggin so this setup will be closer to my actualy setup anyways!

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
If your amp has 2 speaker outputs, you can plug one output into one side of the cab and the other output into the other side. Just make sure the switch is on "Stereo" like SteveC said. That way, you can utilize all 4 speakers.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Smedley Smorganoff,
YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. That will put him at a 4 ohm load!:noway:
Gene

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
If the output on the head is 8 ohms, plugging it into the 16ohm (mono) load would still be an acceptable mismatch.

It may not have the oompf that a matched head/cab provides, but you will be safe, and you'll get all 4 speakers working for you.

BB

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
BB... I do that all the time with solid state amps. My SS amps are all all 8ohm out and I run them into the 1960a set to 16ohms. Virtually zero risk of damage.

If you're going to mismatch impedance on a tube amp, that's the side to err on, too. A higher impedance is a lower risk. Running into lower impedance is generally a very bad thing.

That said, I wouldn't do either with my (tube) gear, at stage volume. At those high power settings, it's pretty stressful on the OT.

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
Smedley Smorganoff,
YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. That will put him at a 4 ohm load!:noway:
Gene

My bad, I forgot the OP's amp was fixed at 8 ohms. I was thinking of the Marshall heads that you can adjust the ohms on them (4, 8, 16).

I used to run both speaker outputs from my JCM 800 (with the ohms set to 4) into a stereo 1960 cab. Sounded very big.

This might be possible for the OP if he upgraded his output transformer to one that can switch between the different loads...

Reaction score
guys I used it with just the 2 speakers in 8 ohm stereo last night.. SOUNDED GREAT! and loud as hell with headroom for days. I had the amp on 1.5 out of ten and I play in a loud stoner rock band

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked out for you! :)

Which side did you use? Was there a difference?

Reaction score
I used the left, I did not try right because we had alot to work on and I totally forgot but it sounded good on left, I will try it on the right tomorrow night for my other band and see how it sounds.

My big muff never sounded so BIG... I love this YBA head !

Reaction score
but I did notice something weird at the jam last night. The amp would hum semi loudly on and off like for 5 mins then stop for half hour and do it again for a few minutes etc... not sure if its the power in the old building where we rehearse. Should I replace the tubes the sound was good and volume was not an issue just this random hum

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Probably just a power/interference thing. See if it does it again, in a different location, before you rush out and try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Reaction score
good point, It has not done it here at home but I'll play for over an hour tomorrow and see if it comes up at all. The place I rehearse at usually has weird digital beeping like sounds come out of their amps sometimes so could just be the building

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
good point, It has not done it here at home but I'll play for over an hour tomorrow and see if it comes up at all. The place I rehearse at usually has weird digital beeping like sounds come out of their amps sometimes so could just be the building

Digital beeping coming through the amp is usually coming from cell phone interference - often even the incoming text/sms messages can produce this. Especially when someone leaves their cell phone on top of their amp head. Or sometimes when the cell phone is in a pocket near an unshielded guitar / pickup.

Weird how radio signals can interact with sensitive amplification equipment. :naughty:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I have an old stereo 2x12 cab. It has two 4 ohm Celestions with a separate jack for each. I wanted to use it as an extension cab for an 8 ohm amp. I went to radio shack and got one of those little plastic project boxes and three 1/4" jacks.

I mounted and wired two of the jacks to the third, in series, in the box. Then I plug each speaker into the two (series) jacks in the box. The third jack then gets the amp signal. Since the cab is covered with the furry stuff, I just put velcro on the box and slap it to the back of the cab.

So now I have a 2x12 4 ohm stereo cab, or a 2x12 8 ohm mono cab with no modifications. Don't know if that might help with your configuration.

BTW, I tried this setup with a Peavey Classic 30 amp. Wow. :wow:
I disconnected the internal 16 ohm speaker and ran the cab out of the extension speaker jack, which produces 8 ohm.
Alternatively, you could put a dummy jack in the extension speaker outlet and connect the cab to the internal speaker leads.

Latest Threads