Mark V vs Dual Rec vs JVM410h vs Roadster

gabsonuro

Reaction score
So i want to get a new head and originally it was mark v vs yjm, but ive spotted the other 3 amd wanted your opinions on them. I currently do not gig and only.play in my basement, (but one day i want to play live, its just hard to find a band) and i was wo dering which would be the best for me. I can currently crank my tubemeister 18 to maximum without pissing anyone off at full 18 watts. I play all types of music, but mostly rock (gnr, acdc, aerosmith) to thrash (mostly metallica, ozzy)

From what ive researched

Mark V - can get new for 2100
+very very versatile
+plently of options to shape your tone how you like it
+ good wattage settings
- can do everything, just not as good as the actual thing
- heard of people complaining it doesent have the bottom end that the dual rec has

Dual rec -can get for 1800
+ THE metallica sound
+ huge bottom end
+ lots of options aswell
- heard of people saying bass is a little uncontrolled?
-hard to dial
-maybe a bit too loud? Only has 100w/50 switch
-needs to be cranked loud to get the tone

JVM -can get for 1800
+all the marshalls in one
+trillions of options
+ 2 volumes making it easier for lower volume situations (true?)
+THE rock sound
-not enough umph compared to mesas?

Roadster -can get for 2100
Havent heard anything about this head. It seems people are buying recs and mark v's instead.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Dump the dual Rec and the Roadster.!!

I have actually tested those 4 amps, the owner of the Roadster also has a Soldano and its a killer amp!

Mark V and JVM, different amps, both killer sounding. But if i could have one it would be the Mark V, its sound and its portable size are truly welcome.

Rhust

Reaction score
Mark V listen to Corrosion of conformity and you'll know why I love that amp ;)

David Corrales

Reaction score
+very very versatile
+ good wattage settings
- heard of people complaining it doesent have the bottom end that the dual rec has
The Mark V IS the sound, not trying to be another thing :)

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tried a lot of Mesa amps too, but I got the Roadster. It's more versatile than the other models and can pretty much get the same tones as them...and then some. It's got 4 channels which can be voiced very differently covering just about every style of music. The combo is kind of heavy at 100lbs but the head should be fine. I wish they had a lower wattage setting (it has 50w/100w only) like the Mark V but the amp still sounds excellent at low volumes. To me, it's the best of the Mesa line.

BigAl

Reaction score
+ THE metallica sound
+ huge bottom end
+ lots of options aswell
-hard to dial

Don't kid yourself, friend. Metallica didn't start using Rectos live or in recordings until after the Black Album. The Rectos have more bass than the Mark V, but the Mark's is much tighter and controllable.

The JVM is OK, but the build quality compared to the Mesas seems cheap.

Here's a few videos to get you started with deciding whether you want the Mark V, Roadster, or Dual Recto: (Mark V vs. Dual Recto, & Dual Recto vs. Roadster)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAbCLZrxG8

gabsonuro

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself, friend. Metallica didn't start using Rectos live or in recordings until after the Black Album. The Rectos have more bass than the Mark V, but the Mark's is much tighter and controllable.

The JVM is OK, but the build quality compared to the Mesas seems cheap.

Here's a few videos to get you started with deciding whether you want the Mark V, Roadster, or Dual Recto: (Mark V vs. Dual Recto, & Dual Recto vs. Roadster)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAbCLZrxG8
for me the roadster sounded better clean, the dual rec way better distortion.

from the MK V vs Rec, i thought the rec sounded more heavy and brutal wheras the MK V sounded brighter and not as heavy, but the guy did have the bass lower on the MK V than on the rec (12:00 vs 8:00)

gabsonuro

Reaction score
the only thing im really concerned about is loudness.... how much louder is 100 watts than 18 watts? i know 50 watts is 26% louder than 18 watts.

yawny

Reaction score
the only thing im really concerned about is loudness.... how much louder is 100 watts than 18 watts? i know 50 watts is 26% louder than 18 watts.
A x10 increase in power doubles the perceived volume, assuming the speaker setup is the same (efficiency and size). 180w through the same efficiency speaker as an 18w amp will only be approx twice as loud. I'm not even sure 50w would be 26% louder. Not even that.

Do the math, I've already done calculus today and I'm burned out and don't feel like providing an equation :laugh2:

Rhust

Reaction score
easy... if you are worried about loudness, 100w is too loud... ;)

zslane

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the speaker cabinet you pair up with any of those heads will make a huge difference in the tone you get. Anytime you make general statements about this amp or that amp having more or less bottom end, looser or tighter bottom end, fizzier high end, etc., you have to ask what speakers you are listening through. For every amp that has some perceived weakness, there is a speaker that will eliminate that weakness--though it may be in exchange for some other tonal compromise.

gabsonuro

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the speaker cabinet you pair up with any of those heads will make a huge difference in the tone you get. Anytime you make general statements about this amp or that amp having more or less bottom end, looser or tighter bottom end, fizzier high end, etc., you have to ask what speakers you are listening through. For every amp that has some perceived weakness, there is a speaker that will eliminate that weakness--though it may be in exchange for some other tonal compromise.
if i get any of the mesas i will be pairing it with a 2x12 v30 rectifier cab

marshalls with 1936 2x12

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you can run 18w at full tilt, then you should be fine with 100w. I have had numerous amps from 35-100w and couldn't tell the difference when it comes to volume really....I guess the 100w will have loads more headroom but unless it's dimed, you should feel at home with it. You can never have too much....haha, just don't need to use it all.

18W cranked is LOUD....so you could just enjoy a 100w amp without cranking it.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I own a Mark V, Dual Recto and Roadster.

+very very versatile
+ good wattage settings
The Mark V does an outstanding job of sounding like a Mark V. What it doesn't do we'll is sound like something other than a Mark V.

Bottom end is the bassists job.

+ THE metallica sound
+ huge bottom end
+ lots of options aswell
-hard to dial
THE Metallica sound is more Mark than Recto, but either amp will achieve it without that much difficulty.

Bass is only uncontrolled if you dial it in to uncontrollable levels.

The amp is only too loud if you dial it in too loud.

Almost all amps need to be loud before they give up their goods, but both the Recto and Mark will do decent moderate volumes (the Mark V is better at low volumes).

JVM -can get for 1800
+all the marshalls in one
+trillions of options
+ 2 volumes making it easier for lower volume situations (true?)
+THE rock sound
-not enough umph compared to mesas?
Never played one.

Roadster -can get for 2100
Havent heard anything about this head. It seems people are buying recs and mark v's instead.
It's a little darker and smoother than your standard Dual Recto. It seems you need to get out more.

Reety

Reaction score
The Mark V will
- nail metallica tones
- get pretty damn close for ac/dc and GNR tone
- knock your socks off at high volumes
- impress you at how awesome it is at bedroom while your wife is sleeping volume
- It has it's own voice, it's not a modeling amp trying to be something else.

Do note that the mark v has a Line level effect loop (not instrument level).

the mark v got my $ and i was comparing with the same lineup.

Syn

Reaction score
Mark V out of your choices.

Have you also considered a 5150/6505?

Latest Threads