Mark Knopfler plays his 1958 burst

RAG7890

Reaction score
Thanks Planks. :thumb: :applause:

Really interesting Thread on Mark's '58. :)

A friend has told me that this particular guitar is somewhat special & was one of the best Bursts that had gone through the store where Mark purchased this guitar in England.

I might see if he wants to elaborate on the background a little.

Cheers, Rudi

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always loved his tone on this one...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQW7V6OCPc]Tom Jones & Mark Knopfler - Feel like going home.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

Gunslinger

Reaction score
That's a Tone King Imperial, basically a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Tweed Deluxe in one. He uses one (set for clean on the rhythm channel) on his regular tour. Not sure whether he gets the overdrive from the amp here, he might as well have used a pedal.
Haaa Emiel, good to see you on here as well as Gilmour Gear.

Did he use the Tone King here and not the Reinhardt? I thought he always used the Reinhardt for dirtier tones and the Tone King Imperial for cleaner single coil stuff.
Perhaps they has stage space restrictions here...?

Var

Reaction score
I love Knopfler! Catch him every time he comes to the states!

Emiel

Reaction score
Haaa Emiel, good to see you on here as well as Gilmour Gear.

Did he use the Tone King here and not the Reinhardt? I thought he always used the Reinhardt for dirtier tones and the Tone King Imperial for cleaner single coil stuff.
Perhaps they has stage space restrictions here...?
Hey there! I just visit the DG forum out of habit... you should see my gear, for years it has nothing with to do with the old man! :)

Are you referring to the Hurlingham gig? Mark seems to bring only his Tone King amp for the smaller gigs, the Reinhard/Tone King combination is basically only being used for the big tours. There the Reinhardt is on most of the time... the Tone King is only used for a couple of songs where a bright Fender clean tone is required, for instance Sailing To Philadelphia. Have a look in the extensive diaries of Mark's keyboard player Guy Fletcher... at times he provides pictures of the gear they are using, plus information on which gear is used for which song:
Guy Fletcher, home of Dr Fletch, Mark Knopfler Keyboard Player and Solo Artist Inamorata

The website Planks posted, mk-guitar.com, is also very helpful here.

Creimke

Reaction score
Being a huge Knopfler fan myself, maybe i can add something to this great thread.

Mark playes the guitar part on Inamorata (the track, not the whole album) of his long time keyboard player Guy Fletcher. I checked with Guy what guitar Mark was playing and he believes it was his '59 Les Paul. So maybe a little 'off topic' but i thought i'd post it here nevertheless since all Knopfler info has been so nicely gathered here.

Check out the track. I really love the solo. So simple, yet so beautiful.

Inamorata - Guy Fletcher - YouTube

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What a great guitar player! Brothers in Arms is one of my fav records from the 80s.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This thread prompted me to pull out the first CD I ever bought and play it just now....Brothers in Arms. So beautifully dynamic, I mourn the days before the loudness wars.

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
A few years back I saw Knopfler from the second row. During the encore, I stood at the stage and was about 10 feet from him while he played his 58. Up close, you can see its age. He's also got a 59 and he tours with both.

Here's my favorite solo I've ever heard him do. And with the 58, to boot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm3K6JJtAOw[/ame]

zorglub!

Reaction score
For those interested in his '58 the serial number is 8 6811 and you can find it in the galleries here.

Before removing the added switch:

After the repair:

Walt_T

Reaction score
Wonderful stuff, thanks for reviving this thread. Not many players out there who can do what MK can do with a LP, he has the touch.
One that comes to mind is Toy Caldwell, some of the most tasteful playing in history.

Latest Threads