Mark Agnesi Talks About The Les Paul Standard 50's Model

OBX351

Reaction score

Not exactly an historic but it's nice to see Gibson do this with their standards. It looks like it has a 2 piece back vs 1 piece, oh well. I am really glad they went with 500k pots too. I like PiO better than the orange dots but good on Gibby for the change.

For not a ton of money you could buy a really good sounding, good looking and lite one of these and drop $1 to $3k in and make it a really nice historic.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
For not a ton of money you could buy a really good sounding, good looking and lite one of these and drop $1 to $3k in and make it a really nice historic
Or you could buy a legit used historic from the start for this much. Sorry, but dressing up a lower model to be something it's not is a bit lame and often more of a money pit.

OBX351

Reaction score
Maybe, but if you find a really good std, add new pickups and electronics you'd have as good if not better sounding 50s spec guitar that is about 40% cheaper than many of the reissues I've played.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Welcome to the Irony Festival where we argue the value and legitimacy of buying features intended to create the illusion of real things made 70 years ago. Since none are genuine and all are merely reproductions made to varying degrees of obsession, maybe just do as you please. I'd love a Historic but certainly don't see the value for money in them, though I see and respect how others -- a small number of others -- do. "Real Historic" is an oxymoron.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I own a 50’s standard with p90’s. I can honestly say they are great guitars and IMHO are some of the best guitars the company has put out in a long time. I don’t know about the neck joint if it’s vintage style or what. I really don’t care either way. I’m luck 1st off because I got to try a bunch and picked the one I really fell in love with. 2nd because I have played real vintage Gibson Les Paul guitars. My dad has owned and still owns a few. My cousin owns a 57 GT. They are fantastic guitars no doubt. They have age I want say beautiful but more like a car ages. Lol. I’ve only played a handful of RI. I really had my heart set on a 56 RI. After playing my standard I changed my mind. Just my opinion but as compared as new I couldn’t justify the price difference. I also knew my guitar would be used in bars. Some very rough bars. I think the historical RI are great. And I get the spec thing. But they are still just new guitars as is my standard. My standard looks the part sounds fantastic and I saved a butt load of money. I did pull the knob pointers and top hats and put speed knobs on my standard. I just like them better and I go by sound not numbers. Plus I can’t see them standing anyway. My father and I talk a lot about the vintage guitars. He made a valuable point to me. Back when a lot of those classic song where recorded. The guitars weren’t that old. So who knows it maybe a historic RI or a Modern classic standard that makes the next iconic recording.

GRASS

Reaction score
I own a 50’s standard with p90’s. I can honestly say they are great guitars and IMHO are some of the best guitars the company has put out in a long time. I don’t know about the neck joint if it’s vintage style or what. I really don’t care either way. I’m luck 1st off because I got to try a bunch and picked the one I really fell in love with. 2nd because I have played real vintage Gibson Les Paul guitars. My dad has owned and still owns a few. My cousin owns a 57 GT. They are fantastic guitars no doubt. They have age I want say beautiful but more like a car ages. Lol. I’ve only played a handful of RI. I really had my heart set on a 56 RI. After playing my standard I changed my mind. Just my opinion but as compared as new I couldn’t justify the price difference. I also knew my guitar would be used in bars. Some very rough bars. I think the historical RI are great. And I get the spec thing. But they are still just new guitars as is my standard. My standard looks the part sounds fantastic and I saved a butt load of money. I did pull the knob pointers and top hats and put speed knobs on my standard. I just like them better and I go by sound not numbers. Plus I can’t see them standing anyway. My father and I talk a lot about the vintage guitars. He made a valuable point to me. Back when a lot of those classic song where recorded. The guitars weren’t that old. So who knows it maybe a historic RI or a Modern classic standard that makes the next iconic recording.
That's a wall of text, break it up and it's easier to read.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I’m no English major lol. To tell the truth I don’t even understand it nor do I write or had to for a living. I was just trying to be constructive. And join in so I will try and keep it short next time sorry.
That guy only (and always) acts as grammar nazy. Just ignore him. :)

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I can't look at this guy anymore and not have my inside voice continually say

Douche

Douche

Douche

Douche

Douche

It gets distracting and I don't actually hear what he's saying.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but.....

paragraphs lives matter :)
Still, you shouldn't really just tell people how to write or not write, that's annoying LOL. At least, if after a post that's all you have to say, just shut up and move on... (also, honestly, I see no problems in that text, maybe it's because I read a lot of books, lol!) :)

Anyway, from the same author, a bunch of really helpful and constructive posts, especially if you are a 9 years old kid just back from school ;

"Well CUT, not cutted."

"Definitely not defiantly."

"You're, as in you are."

"Didn't KNOW anything about it."

"Thought you were talking but the pick up ring screw" Makes no sense.

"Is this available in English?"

"Is "Epiphany" a new brand of guitar?"

"Other THAN."

"if YOU'RE happy."

"Is incorrect, it's a SQUIER jagmaster."

"TOO deeply, not to deeply. Even my four year old knows this."

"Cheap, birds go cheep."

"TOO bright, not to bright."

"you need to break up that wall of text."

"They're as in they are."

ptgold

Reaction score
I dont understand why Gibson doesnt just put long tenons on all production guitars? I know its a small thing but this small thing is important to a lot of us.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Ok I’m no English major lol. To tell the truth I don’t even understand it nor do I write or had to for a living. I was just trying to be constructive. And join in so I will try and keep it short next time sorry.
I don't think GRASS was making the douche statement he is being flamed for here.

He just commented, without any insult or flame, that it was 'a wall of text to read'

He is correct. It was.

There was not comment to shut up, or tone it down, or edit the words in any way.
It was all about formatting.
Check out almost ANY post from Roberteaux
You will get a good reference there.

A suggestion, not an insult, was made, that it would be easier to read if it wasn't one, runaway paragraph.
IMHO GRASS was just asking for a little formatting.