Marillion

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that there are a few Marillion fans around hereSaw some posts from years ago, but nothing recent. I stumbled upon them in college in the late 90s somehow. More of a fan of the Fish era, but I really do like everything up to and including Brave.

I saw them in a small club in Boston in 2005. I was standing next to the tour bus when Pete got off. He looked up at the marquee and noticed that one of the letters had fallen off the Marillion lettering up there. He just gazes up there, and then dead panned to over to me “Well, that’s not right!”:laugh2:

Clutching at Straws is one of my top ten albums off all time and the solo to Sugar Mice is something that always tumbles out when I try out a guitar!

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw them in 1990 in a tiny bar. I have no idea how “real” bands got booked into that place.

Guns and Roses played there on the AfD tour. Tiny place. I can’t imagine it holds more than 200 people.

This wasn’t the show I was at, but it gives perspective.... this pic is from the back, and ceiling tiles are only 4 feet long.

Up front you’re just leaning on the edge of the stage.

The night was fantastic.

I feel like I’m not a “real fan” because Misplaced Childhood is my favorite album of theirs. But the whole album is perfect. Every second of it. “Blue Angel” gives me chills or brings me to tears every time I hear it, still to this day.

In no small part to how deeply in love I was at the time. That album was part of a beautiful soundtrack to a part of my life I cherish but do not miss.

No album I’ve ever heard before or since has such an attachment to me.

Reactions: huw

Who

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread made me look for an old thread of mine.

I just read the first post and I am in tears again.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
It’s amazing how music can really represent a time and a place, and specific people to us. I do think Fish has a way of getting human emotions down perfectly.

I saw Marillion at The Paradise in Boston which is also quite small. Maybe 350?

And

• Love
Reactions: Who

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So this is weird - back in the (Fish) day I was a huge fan - saw them eight times, mostly at the Apollo in Manchester, starting with the Fugazi tour. Awesome live band, great audiences etc

But when Fish left, so did I & I haven’t listened to them in a long time.

But then earlier this month I reconnected with a girl I knew at the time, thanks to BookFace. She & I would sit listening to Missplaced… for hours so for old times’ sake I got out the album…
Holy Shit I forgot how much I love it! Spellbinding from start to finish.

Not to mention that the themes of lost love seemed to fit perfectly;)

• Love

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
So this is weird - back in the (Fish) day I was a huge fan - saw them eight times, mostly at the Apollo in Manchester, starting with the Fugazi tour. Awesome live band, great audiences etc

But when Fish left, so did I & I haven’t listened to them in a long time.

But then earlier this month I reconnected with a girl I knew at the time, thanks to BookFace. She & I would sit listening to Missplaced… for hours so for old times’ sake I got out the album…
Holy Shit I forgot how much I love it! Spellbinding from start to finish.

Not to mention that the themes of lost love seemed to fit perfectly;)
Sweet! Go pick up the deluxe reissues of Script for a Jesters Tear and Clutching at Straws. Lots of great extra materials plus 5.1 mixes!

Who

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
But when Fish left, so did I
I remember the first time I heard of "Phish" (the band).

Fish left Marillion in '88.

I started hearing about "Phish" from people in '89-'90?, and I of course thought they were talking about Fish. I got excited thinking that Fish had released a new album.

I was disappointed when I finally learned they were talking about Phish.

• Haha
Reactions: huw

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I actually really dig that first Fish album Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors. 1990 I think? It’s defiantly got a Clutching at Straws vibe.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first I heard from Marillion and was blown away, band AND production....
Rothery amazed me... exactly what the tune calls for, nothing more nothing less. Perfect... Hell they all play that way....

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favourite bands back in the Fish days. La Gazza Ladra still gets a lot of play-time in my house.

• Love

Latest Threads