Maple arrived for the caps!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So cool. Collected on Friday from American speciality hardwoods, and received today!, at my house in U.K, so impressed, Laura at American hardwoods was excellent to deal with. This is their lowest grade ‘get what your given’, and it’s all good enough, one piece looks very nice, narrow flame, will make a nice pearly tribute. Build/builds will prolly start in april, things warming up in U.K. at last. Got all the extras to complete one guitar, and nearly enough for a second, think I need a stoptail, studs and a set a set of bridge posts with thumb wheels. So one mahogany BB and one sunburst could be done this year, (I’ll see how it goes).
Some pics.
A15C3C8C-81F8-47A2-95F7-554AEB9F1DFB.jpeg
96F92348-A42C-4426-92DF-1BE57FEB61AB.jpeg
41C8BB9B-10AA-4944-BA2D-360070E7B1BD.jpeg
C7E87573-5E9A-43B7-BCF6-ECB68F5CF62C.jpeg

this one is wrong halves lol.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If that's their "lower" grade, you did well. That's a beautiful top.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s great to read, esp coming from someone who builds them, a guy local to me in U.K. said their lower grade stuff was really good, and he was right on the money. Yeah I am happy with them the top one is real nice, I just need to go steady, and do it justice, I am not touching the best of the four till last.

I watched a guy use the top templates on YouTube that has got me over my initial, how the hell do you do that? feeling when I first read about using them. Crazy thing I got all 4 landed for less than one bought new over here. They seem to be well planed at the joint, pushing them together leaves no gaps so one less job to do. There is a bit of damage to one which should disappear once carved.

Last edited:

fmunoz

Reaction score
So cool. Collected on Friday from American speciality hardwoods, and received today!, at my house in U.K, so impressed, Laura at American hardwoods was excellent to deal with. This is their lowest grade ‘get what your given’, and it’s all good enough, one piece looks very nice, narrow flame, will make a nice pearly tribute. Build/builds will prolly start in april, things warming up in U.K. at last. Got all the extras to complete one guitar, and nearly enough for a second, think I need a stoptail, studs and a set a set of bridge posts with thumb wheels. So one mahogany BB and one sunburst could be done this year, (I’ll see how it goes).
Some pics.
View attachment 523147 View attachment 523148 View attachment 523149 View attachment 523150
this one is wrong halves lol.
Those look awesome, congrats, hope to see the finished work soon!

Can you provide a link to the actual item you ordered? or at least the actual name? those look great and I've been searching for something just like that.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks, I finally got my head round using your carve templates nuance97, regarding the orbital sander you guys use, what is the minimum power that'll get the job done?

the company I used is this one, hope this is not breaking any rules.
Laura is the lovely lady I dealt with.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
On the $18 bargain bin ones it's buy one get one 50% off lol. So you get 2 for $27. That's tempting because if I don't like them no problem doing an opaque finish.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to go for those originally Roxy, but thought what the hell, splash out. Very happy I did spend a bit more.

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks, I finally got my head round using your carve templates nuance97, regarding the orbital sander you guys use, what is the minimum power that'll get the job done?
I don’t know what the power rating is on my ROS...it’s a DeWalt. I like it a lot

Kennoyce

Reaction score
On the $18 bargain bin ones it's buy one get one 50% off lol. So you get 2 for $27. That's tempting because if I don't like them no problem doing an opaque finish.
Yeah, I recently picked up the two bargain bin ones for $27 plus one of the more expensive ones and I honestly couldn't tell you which was which. The only issue I had was that I received two bookmatched tops, then two boards that weren't even from the same tree based on the coloring. I'm not concerned about it as I will just resaw the two unmatched pieces and use them on two thinner tops, but thought I would mention it here.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, I recently picked up the two bargain bin ones for $27 plus one of the more expensive ones and I honestly couldn't tell you which was which. The only issue I had was that I received two bookmatched tops, then two boards that weren't even from the same tree based on the coloring. I'm not concerned about it as I will just resaw the two unmatched pieces and use them on two thinner tops, but thought I would mention it here.
I ordered 2 for $27 plus one of the $40 ones so we shall see what shows up. At the very least I can use them to get my feet wet and if they aren't superstar tops, I'm not going to complain, esp for that price. I happen to have quite a few plain top singlecuts too and I love them as well.

Kennoyce

Reaction score
I ordered 2 for $27 plus one of the $40 ones so we shall see what shows up. At the very least I can use them to get my feet wet and if they aren't superstar tops, I'm not going to complain, esp for that price. I happen to have quite a few plain top singlecuts too and I love them as well.
Yep, that's exactly what I ordered, and like I said, I was pleasantly surprised for the price!

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What were the shipping cost if you don't mind me asking? I assume inside USA?

Cheers Peter

Roxy13

Reaction score
Just looked and mine ended up being $33 for UPS ground shipping to UT.
I'm in Ohio so I am probably closer to wherever they are.

Oh, they are in Clinton, MI. That's within reasonable driving distance of me.

Kennoyce

Reaction score
I'm in Ohio so I am probably closer to wherever they are.
Yep, that's what I was figuring too, all of you in the eastern US have it so much better when it comes to hardwood selection!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned I used the contact us button and asked about shipping costs being a bit high on the website, if you message them before ordering they might be able to get that cost down a bit. I actually organised my own courier and they were cool with that.

Kennoyce

Reaction score
I should have mentioned I used the contact us button and asked about shipping costs being a bit high on the website, if you message them before ordering they might be able to get that cost down a bit. I actually organised my own courier and they were cool with that.
That is very nice. When I ordered I just paid the quoted price on the website which was like $44, but then they refunded me $11 so that I only had to pay the actual shipping cost.

LP1865

Reaction score
They want around $300 shipping to anywhere in Asia

Latest Threads