Maple and Mahogany reversed in the body of the 1952 Les Pauls ?

akkermanfan

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone of you know of the fact that Mr. Les Paul himself claimed originally the maple wood was meant for the back of the body and the mahogany at the top, because the mahogany is the softer wood ?

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone of you know of the fact that Mr. Les Paul himself claimed originally the maple wood was meant for the back of the body and the mahogany at the top, because the mahogany is the softer wood ?
No, he said the maple top was meant for the fancier Custom, and the all-hog body was meant for the Standard. Gibson disputes this.
Al

akkermanfan

Reaction score
No, he said the maple top was meant for the fancier Custom, and the all-hog body was meant for the Standard. Gibson disputes this.
Al
Thank you zombiwoof for your reply, which is true concerning the Gibson Les Paul Customs of 1954 to 1960 with a body all consisting of mahogany without the maple top, but this assertion of wood reverse by Mr. Les Paul in the 1952 Goldtops bodies is what I remember to have ever read in an interview in a guitar magazine, hence my question.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I also remember reading where Les Paul claimed in the first converstions with TED about the Les Paul solid bodys design that he thought the body should be maple and Ted/Gibson later felt it would be too heavey and went with mahogny with a maple cap. Ted always said Lester had nothing to do with the actual design of the LP.

akkermanfan

Reaction score
I also remember reading where Les Paul claimed in the first converstions with TED about the Les Paul solid bodys design that he thought the body should be maple and Ted/Gibson later felt it would be too heavey and went with mahogny with a maple cap. Ted always said Lester had nothing to do with the actual design of the LP.
That is a good explanation, thanks jimi55lp ! Notwithstanding the heavier weight of the guitar, I am ever wondering how the Les Paul Custom with the ebony fingerboard and a maple body with a mahogany cap would have sounded ?
:hmm: