Manny's Music is No Longer Standing :(

KS 5150

Reaction score
I haven't been in 5-7 years. Haven't all the 48th music stores closed or moved on?
Colony Music closing was a downer for me.
I went to Rudy's Music back in '13 as it was still open. I know that store moved since, so there probably isn't anything left on the street, sadly. Same thing with Denmark Street in London. Went there this summer, and there aren't many guitar shops left, with Hank's being the most prominent as it had a '58 Burst for sale. A few, but if you wanted to shop for Les Pauls, not too much. Of course, I walked right by Charing Cross Road without noticing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

prs97

Reaction score
I think they're all gone on 48th St. now but haven't been up that way in a bit.

Sam Ash moved to a big store on 34th between 8th & 9th.

fry

Reaction score
I think they're all gone on 48th St. now but haven't been up that way in a bit.

Sam Ash moved to a big store on 34th between 8th & 9th.
Yeah, I went to Sam Ash 10 years ago at the old place. I was back in the city last summer, and they had moved. That must’ve been a hell of an undertaking to move all that stuff. I gotta confess that I went to the Guitar Center off Times Square, and it was far and away the best GC I’ve ever walked into. It was packed with inventory, and some amazing closeout prices, and great used stuff.

Wailing

Reaction score
I was told my 1960 Melody Maker was originally sold at Manny’s went to Belgium and is now in the UK. Can anyone confirm this is their label/sticker ?

D058A893-0924-4B73-86E2-069C3DCA51FC.jpeg

Wailing

Reaction score
Now I look at the label closely.. the third letter looks like a T !!!

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got kicked out of my favorite rock n roll bar recently for being a dick. While I was waiting for my uber I played 15 barry manilow songs on their jukebox with my AMI app
When hitting the Diner you could always tell who just got dumped by his girl, he was the guy dropping quarters into the jukebox at his table. Especially Weekend in New England.

fry

Reaction score
I got kicked out of my favorite rock n roll bar recently for being a dick. While I was waiting for my uber I played 15 barry manilow songs on their jukebox with my AMI app
On the subject of driving people crazy with the jukebox, this is one of the funniest bits I’ve ever heard. If you have not heard it, take six minutes and give it a spin.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I used to go into Manny's all the time, when I lived in NYC. There was a whole row of music shops on 48th street.

Real estate in midtown Manhattan is on fire right now. Street level retail is in the dumps. Put up a high rise and cash out.

Rorer714

Reaction score
wow-talk about an iconic store. even tho I've never been there, it's rep precedes it. hate to see it go away. if only those walls could talk....

Last edited:

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
48th St was quite the place, went there in the 80's, guitars everywhere: Mannys, Sam Ash, We Buy Guitars, Rudys, 48th St Custom...

peach64

Reaction score
I studied guitar at the New School For Social Research down in the village back in `85. Jorma taught there after I left..it was a very cool place to learn really cool guitar technique. I already formal theory, reading, transposing and jazz chord melody..but IU needed to learn Chuck & Jimi...so I visited 48th street once a week for years. I bought an L series Strat from Rudy back in `85 for $1200, then a few months later I bought a Boogie Mark III before anyone ever heard about them.
What a wonderful time it was being on that street...You had Alex Music he sold guitars to Clapton, We Buy Guitars with vintage guitars directly across the street from Manny';s that was Richie Friedman's store, Sam Ash next door. All great places to get gear, all packed with customers. I remember seeing pictures of every great musical in history in Manny's...The Who, Cream, Jimi, etc...James Taylor was listening the Boogie while I demoed it.

A few years ago I had time to kill before I saw The Book Of Mormon, I was speechless walking up and down 48th street. All those empty building, even 48th Street Guitars was next to Manny's they had all the cool japanese guitars like Tokai, Espies, etc...and Right Track Studios was next to them , the Stones recorded Dirty Work there. All gone, the vendors, the musicians, all reduced to memories...it's very very sad to see, but it only illustrates where we are as a society now, live music, musicianship, ethics, all out the window. My buddy John builds Trainwrecks, he has more orders for 1/2 power amps than full 36 watts..the trend is going in wrong direction. I guess we're relics of an era long gone bye...rock clubs, strip clubs, and cool bars are all closing down. We all have to do our part to keep music an art that needs live interaction.

Latest Threads