Manny's Music is No Longer Standing :(

KS 5150

Reaction score
I just saw a post from Joe Bonamassa, with a picture of an empty lot where Manny's Music on 48th Street in NY used to be. It makes me sad, as I never got there when it was open. I do have a Manny's t-shirt I picked up a couple years ago from Sam Ash in Midtown, but never got to see the mecca in person. I'm wondering if anyone has any stories of their experiences at Manny's over the years before it was closed, please share. I did manage to get a pic of the storefront in 2013, tho:

Manny's music.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
I just saw a post from Joe Bonamassa, with a picture of an empty lot where Manny's Music on 48th Street in NY used to be. It makes me sad, as I never got there when it was open. I do have a Manny's t-shirt I picked up a couple years ago from Sam Ash in Midtown, but never got to see the mecca in person. I'm wondering if anyone has any stories of their experiences at Manny's over the years before it was closed, please share. I did manage to get a pic of the storefront in 2013, tho:

View attachment 420146
Stopped there once on my only trip to NYC. Sad to see places go like that.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Truly sad. As a kid, growing up around here, Manny's was "the place" to go in NYC. I remember taking the train up to the city with friends when I was about 13 to see manny's for the first time.

I tried to visit every time I went to NYC. Over the past decade I have not made the time. Now, I feel bad.

The only Manny's story that I have is one time when I was up there in the mid-80's, someone told me that I just missed seeing Keef. He was in the store, buying something and he hung out & signed autographs.

I am sorry to hear that the iconic landmark store closed.

fry

Reaction score
I went to NYC 10 years ago with some friends. The one guy took us right down there to check out the store, and it was closed permanently then, if I remember correctly. Sam Ash was right across the street, we went in there and poked around a little bit instead. I heard later that Mannys was actually owned by Sam Ash the last few years and a lot of people didn’t even know it. People would go down there and ignore Sam Ash, saying they would only spend their money at Mannys. They had no idea they were actually shopping at Sam Ash.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
My father took me there when I was 15 years old or so.
I was more of a bassist back then...
I remember gawking at instruments that I'd only seen in magazines and catalogs, as well as stuff that I'd never seen before.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went there in '80. Wonderous place.

I remember looking at some old Selmer Mk VI tenor saxes they had, wanted $3,600 each which at that time I thought was crazy overpriced. In hindsight I wish I would have bought all of 'em.

All the landmarks and institutions from my youth are disappearing one by one.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Climate Change
Climate change brings a truck load of problems, but I don’t think it’s bad enough (yet) to cause business closings! Now, I never went to Manny’s — or to NYC anywhere for that matter. So I was just wondering if Manny’s prices were competitive with other major music retailers.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I haven't been in 5-7 years. Haven't all the 48th music stores closed or moved on?
Colony Music closing was a downer for me.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to go there every year during my annual NYC pilgrimage for the auto show at the Jacob Javitz Center. It was sad to see 48th street slowly fade away. Very cool legendary place.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the 80's had a lot to do with the decline in many things related to performing arts. The ecosystem of which institutions like Manny's was a part of was crumbling, and over time simply failed.

Latest Threads