Man in the Box Guitar Solo

redking

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm working on a cover of Man in the Box by AIC and there is one part that is giving me fits. On the second half of the guitar solo, Jerry plays a Hendrix chord with some "chunka chunka's" on the way out and it sounds so articulate but yet still dirty, it makes me think he recorded the second half of the solo with a strat and the first half with his G&L with the JB pickup. What do you guys think? Can you think of any way to get that part of the solo to sound so clean without it being a strat? And what pickup do you think it is on the strat? This part sounds like total mud with my humbucker guitar. I played it with my strat a few times and the other parts don't sound as good, but the Hendrix chord sounds better. The rest of my rig is a treble booster through a Plexi type amp.

Check out the section at 3:29 of the video

HogmanA

Reaction score
I think you've got it really close, and agree that second gyutar doesn't sound like Bridge pickup - but I do think it could be a humbucker, ie the position of the pickup is doing more for this sound than pickup itself.

The sound of the second guitar is Marshall + 4x12 bread and butter isn't it? The cab is captured, with enough headroom in the amp to push the cab without fizz.

I think yours would get to the next level by reducing gain, (maybe compensating with a touch of compression), - to get rid of upper mids fizz you've got going on.
Also, ambient effects will put it in the same "space", which I think will make a difference that you've not fully matched up yet.
Last but not least - how you've played it!
Your playing is great, but requires a slightly different approach I think. Lighter and looser!
His is rhythm based in that section, ie get a James Brown on, to really bring out the chunka quality. Also, he does this in sync to the rhythm guitar which accentuates the 'chunka'.

redking

Reaction score
I think you've got it really close, and agree that second gyutar doesn't sound like Bridge pickup - but I do think it could be a humbucker, ie the position of the pickup is doing more for this sound than pickup itself.

The sound of the second guitar is Marshall + 4x12 bread and butter isn't it? The cab is captured, with enough headroom in the amp to push the cab without fizz.

I think yours would get to the next level by reducing gain, (maybe compensating with a touch of compression), - to get rid of upper mids fizz you've got going on.
Also, ambient effects will put it in the same "space", which I think will make a difference that you've not fully matched up yet.
Last but not least - how you've played it!
Your playing is great, but requires a slightly different approach I think. Lighter and looser!
His is rhythm based in that section, ie get a James Brown on, to really bring out the chunka quality. Also, he does this in sync to the rhythm guitar which accentuates the 'chunka'.
Thanks for the comments. I agree that his feel makes that solo sound so great especially in the chunka chunka parts. LIke old school funk guitar almost. Before I settle on a final mix I will try it with a few more amp / pedal combos and gain stages. I have a hunch if I put a mic in front of a low output amp and put the mic back a bit from the speaker I might get the best sound for the second part.

mr. moon

Reaction score
Funny, I thought Jerry used a talk-box for the wah parts in that tune?

redking

Reaction score
Funny, I thought Jerry used a talk-box for the wah parts in that tune?
I'm certain he did also. Dave Jerden confirmed it in this video. I think Rick was going by how it sounded and also Jerry used a wah live for years, although I think more recently he has used the talk box.

redking

Reaction score
Ha! Listening back to the first solo take above - since then I re-recorded it with the neck pickup instead of the bridge (and maybe different amp and pedal combo?) which I thought sounded better at the time, so I scrapped the original take. Now I think the original is better! I may have to go back and record this again LOL.

Latest Threads