Makeover has begun

RAG7890

Reaction score
Awesome result & great overview of the whole process.

Something I would have liked to do on a 2006 R9 I owned but ended up selling it to a friend of mine.

Only comment I can make about the cost is that I'd want to keep the Guitar & never sell it. I have seen a lot of HM's sold over the years for way less than what the owner put in to it. But if you can afford it & keep it, it doesn't matter IMHO.

HNHMGD. :thumbs::applause::applause::applause:

Enjoy in good health.

:cheers2:

Gary C.

Reaction score
I don't see myself selling this one.
Be more likely to sell a few others to recoup some of the investment.
It's just a matter of degree, though. Anyone who has a Les Paul is a lucky person, no matter which model it is.

Ripgut

Reaction score
She looks amazing! Thank you for sharing your journey with your HM project. All the details and pictures really made us feel like we were right there with you. All the best and may you have many years enjoying your HM.

Gary C.

Reaction score
Sure, man.
Always a good thing for people to be informed about anything, before they jump into it.

Luboy

Reaction score
Now for the financial nitty - gritty.
Purchased the guitar from ebay for the purpose of sending it to Historic Makeovers.
Got it for a reasonable amount, considering that it was a 2010 LPR0.
(Actually, as we all know, NONE of this is actually reasonable here in 2019. It is crazy money!!)
3555-guitar
2250-HM 1st payment
2650-HM 2nd payment
510-Throbak SLE-101+ from Reverb
54.40-Retrospec tailpiece from Reverb
25.46-Retrospec tp studs from Reverb
38.31-Retrospec wheels and posts from Reverb
92.05-Grover tuners from Reverb
$9175.12 total investment

Owning a 'real' burst ain't gonna happen, so this is as close as most of us will get.
Worth it?
I'd say that it depends on your financial situation, of course.
Having stable employment at one place for over 18 years, and not being a youngster, I went for it, because it isn't affecting my situation in a negative way, and you can't do it when you are dead.
Can't say at this point whether or not I'll do it again, but sure don't have to. I may just slowly accumulate the other parts, like truss rod cover, knobs etc, and add them until there is nothing left to add, and call it done.
could have gotten a luthier replica for that money, maybe a yaron (if they're even on the market)

Gary C.

Reaction score
He stopped making them after receiving the cease & desist letter from Gibson.

moreles

Reaction score
I like RAG7890's point that you can think about cost in terms of value to you, rather than as an investment. I have often wondered about why people do the HM thing, given the price, but IMO, they really do produce colors and finishes that are consistently beautiful and, IMO again, nicer than most Gibsons. The mellowing and aging effects are incomparably superior to virtually everything out there. These are among the few guitars that look convincing to me. I can easily see someone enjoying the who process and result, as a personal experience and a keeper guitar. I can also understand how some people would not do this.

Latest Threads