Make injured righty a lefty body?

greenhorn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some left wrist problems and I cant do much of anything anymore.

What little I can do goes to my work so I dont have time to make my own.

I'd like to learn left handed. Right now I have a strat thats reversed to see if I can do it. Seems that I'll be Ok so I'd like to start asap.

If anyone would like to make me a bare lefty strat body that'd be great.

I only need the basic body shape with belly and forearm contours.

I dont want the neck pocket or trem routes cut because I'll be throwing an oddball neck on that I have.

I would like a HSS pickup config routed though along with the control area too.

It can be made out of any basic strat wood like alder or ash.

If anyone is interested please let me know pricing and details.

Or if you know where I can buy a reasonably cheap lefty body please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

kfowler8

Reaction score
Hello future lefty brother!!!!!

Well if you're looking at switching, I'd recommend buying an inexpensive lefty vs. having a body made.

What kind of budget are you trying to stay within?

You can find used lefty Fender Squires all day for next to nothing. I bought a used MIM last year for just over $200. It's a really nice guitar for the price.

Off brands, you can look at Raven West Guitars or Dillion. Jay Turser makes lots of lefties and I've seen them less than $100 used.

So I think you have a lot of options. If you were near me I'd let you borrow one of my cheap acoustics.

Finally, I hope you have a the patience of Job to do this. It's very mental. I've tried learning righty in the past but once you know what you can do it's hard to start over again. Your fingers will eventually learn the muscle memory with no problem. It's just having the patience to get there.

One other note, I've seen lefties bodies on eBay for pretty cheap.

emoney

Reaction score
kfowler8 just gave you some great info. I'd concur on the "find a lefty body" idea. Should
be tons of options in the Strat style available.

LPBurst

Reaction score
Yeah some real sound advice by kfowler8 there. I'm always on the lookout for guitars, especially being a lefty we take what we can get. I'd always fancied a tele to go along with all the LP madness. I found a cheap, new, no name, generic lefty tele on evilbay and guess what... this thing has super low action and with a few little tweaks plays and sounds great! And not just great for a cheap guitar, I actually mean great! Call me lucky that I dropped on such a nice guitar for the price, but sometimes you don't have to get out a bank loan for good tone (rhyme unintended). This thing cost me like less than £100 and I still have it to this day for when I'm in the mood for some tele twang. I'm sure you can do the same for a lefty strat :thumb:

Also just a little food for thought.... I wonder as you get better at playing lefty, if it suddenly starts to feel strange playing righty? Or if you would be able to play both ways without issue? :hmm: It would be quite the party trick and personally I'd love to be able to do it.

Good luck!

kfowler8

Reaction score
Yeah some real sound advice by kfowler8 there. I'm always on the lookout for guitars, especially being a lefty we take what we can get. I'd always fancied a tele to go along with all the LP madness. I found a cheap, new, no name, generic lefty tele on evilbay and guess what... this thing has super low action and with a few little tweaks plays and sounds great! And not just great for a cheap guitar, I actually mean great! Call me lucky that I dropped on such a nice guitar for the price, but sometimes you don't have to get out a bank loan for good tone (rhyme unintended). This thing cost me like less than £100 and I still have it to this day for when I'm in the mood for some tele twang. I'm sure you can do the same for a lefty strat :thumb:

Also just a little food for thought.... I wonder as you get better at playing lefty, if it suddenly starts to feel strange playing righty? Or if you would be able to play both ways without issue? :hmm: It would be quite the party trick and personally I'd love to be able to do it.

Good luck!

Not to derail this post but my recent trips to the UK I've noticed a lot more lefties in the shops vs. what's here in the states. I was on Denmark street and every shop had 5-6 lefties. Some were really nice. Most shops here in Michigan have like 1 or 2. I asked a guy in the UK if there were more left handed people there????

kfowler8

Reaction score
Future Greenhorn...

Michael_Angelo_Batio.jpg

I remember this guy from the 80's. Michael Angelo Batio

greenhorn

Reaction score
Hello future lefty brother!!!!!

Well if you're looking at switching, I'd recommend buying an inexpensive lefty vs. having a body made.

What kind of budget are you trying to stay within?

You can find used lefty Fender Squires all day for next to nothing. I bought a used MIM last year for just over $200. It's a really nice guitar for the price.

Off brands, you can look at Raven West Guitars or Dillion. Jay Turser makes lots of lefties and I've seen them less than $100 used.

So I think you have a lot of options. If you were near me I'd let you borrow one of my cheap acoustics.

Finally, I hope you have a the patience of Job to do this. It's very mental. I've tried learning righty in the past but once you know what you can do it's hard to start over again. Your fingers will eventually learn the muscle memory with no problem. It's just having the patience to get there.

One other note, I've seen lefties bodies on eBay for pretty cheap.

Hello brother. Im actually a lefty from birth but thought it would be good to learn righty when I started because it seemed easier to find a good right handed guitar than left handed. This was nearly 20 years ago though. Plus, they're cheaper.

Unfortunately I've been fighting wrist problems for the last two years and can barely play once a week anymore. I used to play about at least 6 hours a day, so to drop to once a week was a struggle in itself. I cant solo like I used to at all anymore.

I simply CANT stop playing, and when I do, I feel like Im gonna blow up and kill someone. :wow::wow::wow: Guitar, its just the way I express myself and vent and without that creative outlet I'll go mad.

SOOOOO, I have no choice other than to get past the mental hurdle of switching hands. I think I'll have the patience to do it since it'll be the only way I'll be able to play at all. I've tried before (10 years ago) for the heck of it, but wasnt set mentally because I didnt HAVE to learn that way. At that time I could play righty with no problems what so ever so I had no motivation or need to play left handed.

I just started 2 days ago and Im doing better than when I originally learned righty 18 years ago. At that time, I taught myself, and I didnt really know what to do. Now, after years of playing I know what I should and shouldnt do so Im training my hands the proper way right off the bat this time and I think thats whats helping.

Its funny though, many times when I try to do a vibrato or a trill, my brain doesnt know what to do and I end up like anchoring on the bridge and wanking my left had all funny like THATS the hand on the neck and not the right one because Im so used to wanking the string with my left for vibrato. Funny for now anyway, if I cant break it it'll suck. Should be able to though, as I said, its only been 2 days so far.

And yes, trying to keep the budget low....for now.

Good luck!

Im wondering this as well. Im thinking of stopping right handed all together so I dont get those brain signals crossed like when I go from righty drums to lefty drums.

Im hoping that, IF I can do this, Im hoping that I can get it to feel as natural as right handed is.....used to be for me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually was cruising the bay after I started the thread. Slow going on dial up though.

Im using an upside down strat with the strings flipped ALA Hendrix right now but sitting down it balances uncomfortably so thats why I'd like a lefty. Maybe I should just stick with the reverse strat for now.

Oh yeah, another reason I wanted a body made is because a lot of the cheap strats have a fretboard radius that I dont like. The knockoff Im using actually has a 12 inch radius that I like so I was gonna throw that onto another body. Hence why I didnt want the neck pocket cut since I dont know if my neck is a standard fender heel.

I'll be lucky if I can play Sweet Home Alabama after all is said and done....never mind MAB! :laugh2:

kfowler8

Reaction score
I actually consider myself to be a true righty. I write right handed and it was more natural for me for the right hand to do all the fingering in guitar. That seemed to be the hard part. I supposed I'm just screwed up because the only things I do left handed are guitar, shoot pool, and shoot a rifle. But I shoot a hand gun right handed. Go figure. As the great NC State basketball player said "I can shoot it with my right hand. I can shoot it with my left hand. I'm amphibious!!!"

blamo

Reaction score
good luck sir.

sorry to hear about your wrist. mine is slowly giving out on me too.

greenhorn

Reaction score
I actually consider myself to be a true righty. I write right handed and it was more natural for me for the right hand to do all the fingering in guitar. That seemed to be the hard part. I supposed I'm just screwed up because the only things I do left handed are guitar, shoot pool, and shoot a rifle. But I shoot a hand gun right handed. Go figure. As the great NC State basketball player said "I can shoot it with my right hand. I can shoot it with my left hand. I'm amphibious!!!"

HaHa, yeah, Im ambisexual when it comes to shooting a Pistol.

I eat lefty, play sports and use most power tools righty. Shoot a rifle only left though.

Wierd huh?

greenhorn

Reaction score
Its currently in the mail en route to me.

Its just a plywood Aria body. But its lefty so I can bolt up my neck and have a properly balanced guitar. The upside down strat copy just felt too akward. The neck tipped down because the front strap pin is now on the short horn rather than the long one. The forearm area felt like I was using an acoustic. Just crappy feeling all around.

At this point Im not too concearned with tone. I just have to get comfortable playing lefty and see if I can do it long term. Hopefully in the mean time I'll have time to make a lefty PRS so I can be at home with my tone again.

Sorry no pics because Im on dial up and it takes FOREVER. Besides, who wants to see a plywood body anyway. Altough I do like its unique shape.

kfowler8

Reaction score
Its currently in the mail en route to me.

Its just a plywood Aria body. But its lefty so I can bolt up my neck and have a properly balanced guitar. The upside down strat copy just felt too akward. The neck tipped down because the front strap pin is now on the short horn rather than the long one. The forearm area felt like I was using an acoustic. Just crappy feeling all around.

At this point Im not too concearned with tone. I just have to get comfortable playing lefty and see if I can do it long term. Hopefully in the mean time I'll have time to make a lefty PRS so I can be at home with my tone again.

Sorry no pics because Im on dial up and it takes FOREVER. Besides, who wants to see a plywood body anyway. Altough I do like its unique shape.

Dial up still exists?

My first electric was a righty strat strung lefty. I hated it. I know hendrix liked it but the knob drove me crazy.

When you get acclimated to lefty, check out Southpaw Guitars in Houston, TX. It's the Mecca for lefties.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
HaHa, yeah, Im ambisexual when it comes to shooting a Pistol.

I eat lefty, play sports and use most power tools righty. Shoot a rifle only left though.

Wierd huh?

I hope you mean ambidextrous? Or was it a joke that went over my head? :shock:

greenhorn

Reaction score
I hope you mean ambidextrous? Or was it a joke that went over my head? :shock:

Yeah, it was a dopey joke. Thats what I call ambidextrous...I mix the two to make ambisexual...maybe it should be ambisexuous....IDK.

I can't believe it took this many posts down for someone to pick up on that. ROFLMAO :laugh2:

To the OP - one word - Warmoth...

Im all set now, I got a lefty body.

BUT, does warmoth offer bodies without the neck pocket routed?

Thats what I needed since I was using a Yamaha neck, I had to cut the pocket to match that heel. I lucked out though and someone offered an Aria lefty body and the neck pocket measurements worked out along with the scale length measurements so it was direct swap!

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a dopey joke. Thats what I call ambidextrous...I mix the two to make ambisexual...maybe it should be ambisexuous....IDK.

Im all set now, I got a lefty body.

BUT, does warmoth offer bodies without the neck pocket routed?

Thats what I needed since I was using a Yamaha neck, I had to cut the pocket to match that heel. I lucked out though and someone offered an Aria lefty body and the neck pocket measurements worked out along with the scale length measurements so it was direct swap!

Warmoth offers basically every accomodation you could think of- except a 3d model (or even 2d).

Latest Threads