mail order?

diesel99

Reaction score
Looking for an R9 or possibly an R8. Would you purchase an instrument by mail from a reputable seller? Or only the ones you can play first? I'm thinking about tone variations between guitars, as well as how safely they're packed.

geddy

Reaction score
With a les paul I would want to try as many as possible; it's likely they will all feel different. Not a guitar I would personally buy un-played.

diesel99

Reaction score
With a les paul I would want to try as many as possible; it's likely they will all feel different. Not a guitar I would personally buy un-played.
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. The guitars I have now I bought decades ago before there was an internet.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Trying out a guitar is the perfect way in a perfect world. Many of us live in an area where there are no guitar stores. Where I live there are only two stores. One only has used stuff at vintage prices, dim lighting, and no air conditioning in the nine months of summer. The other store is a small, broken down Guitar Center that only has junk. If you want new, they’ll try to pass along every floor model they can get their hands on. The closest good store is two to three hours away.

JMP

Reaction score
I’d only do mail order if you didn’t have a store, with stock, within 3-4 hours drive. If you’re considering spending $5-6 K on a guitar, try in person if possible.

VidPro

Reaction score
Just bought a 60's LP from Sweetwater and it's been a great experience (Except the wait for them to get stock from Gibson) and I'm very happy with the guitar. Even still I guess in a perfect world playing before buying is probably best.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can express the details you are looking for to a dealer with a number of them in stock you may have a better chance of finding your instrument.

Like neck size and shape as well as a tone you are after....all the little things a picture can't express.

Playing style or anything that can help the guy on the other end pick out what you need....then have a dealer provide pics and sound bites that can help,,,,,

It's a lot to ask and most dealers don't want to dick with.....but there are some great ones here on this forum that will.

That is the only way i would go mail order.

Or contact @LtDave32 and have him build you one.;)

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
When I got my 2010 Trad Pro, GC had just put it out so that no one had even played it yet. That is the exception, though. Most guitars have been played, and it is nice to have a more virgin instrument (at least to me). So, while it is great to play 'em before you buy 'em, it is nice to be the first person to play it, too. No problem with mail order ... I say, "Send it!!!".

sonar1

Reaction score
I’ve had excellent results from Sweetwater.

On the other hand, the Guitar Center in Chico will be glad to sell you B-stock for new prices.

The R4 I got from Sweetwater was what it was supposed to be. No problems.

bum

Reaction score
I got my 335 VoS from Andertons, couple of reasons:
They have entertained me for years on Youtube, they've earned my money.
I knew if there were issues they would sort it.

Anyways, no issues, all good. They did email me after I bought it and congratulated me weirdly, saying it's a beautiful guitar and they just wanted to check everything was OK

Not long ago I was watching an old vid and my guitar was on the racks behind them :laugh2:

it's the natural one, second right top pic, far left 2nd pic

335 andertons2.jpg
335-andertons.jpg

peobryant

Reaction score
I've bought 4 guitars from Wildwood, both my Gibson Les Pauls, my Fender Jimmy Page Telecaster, and my Epiphone Hummingbird. All 4 arrived flawlessly and perfectly set up, and when I'm in the market for an R9, I plan on purchasing that from Wildwood as well.

I've also had good experiences with Sweetwater. I bought my Epiphone '59 Les Paul through them and it arrived perfectly fine, too. Not set up, because I didn't pay for it (something Wildwood does for free) but no issues with packing or damage.

geddy

Reaction score
I guess Im lucky in the UK that distances to guitar stores are not a far as they can be in the US, with us being a tiny country.

DaveSG

Reaction score
As a lefty, I don't have much choice. I REALLY lucked out with my last purchase (in my avatar). It has the looks, the feel, and the sound. Purchased without having it in hand and hearing it. Wonderful, incredible guitar.

That said, there is nothing better than sitting down with a bunch of guitars and finding 'the one'.

Last edited:

bungle

Reaction score
You definitely have a much better chance at a great guitar with the reissues than the cheaper ones. Still would be nice to play because there is so much variation between guitars.

Latest Threads