Magnolia White and the Red Bud Blues

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, Rob. Know that you were lucky to have someone like that in your life. I know I don't have to tell you that, but that's something a lot of people don't get.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My condolences bro. She sounds like a very special woman. So sorry for your loss.

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
Beautifully written to a woman with a beautiful personality - never take that relationship for granted. My deepest condolences from the bottom of my heart

lariat

Reaction score
My condolences Robert.
She seemed like a special woman.

That was a very touching tribute, and I'm sure she would have been deeply honored by it.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, all. I really do appreciate your words-- all of your words!

I'm sorry for your loss, Rob. Know that you were lucky to have someone like that in your life. I know I don't have to tell you that, but that's something a lot of people don't get.

Thanks, Drew... believe me: being close to her was a lot like hitting some kind of enormous jackpot. Lord knows I could never have deserved such a one as she to have been part of my life.

I was sitting around thinkin' all last night, and realizing that what the lady did for me was to protect me as much as she could-- even from myself, on such occasions as she found a way to contrive it. Meanwhile, she always stuck up for me-- sometimes even against the opinions of her own natural children. That, I say, is something that one seldom sees in real life, and was evidence of the uncommonly powerful bond of affection we shared. No matter what else was going on around us, this was one thing that never changed: Ma loved me.

Ma judged me in isolation, and as I really was, instead of by hearsay or (un)popular opinion. Her chiefest wish for me was that I would clean up and live in a more decent fashion than I was into at the time. I am incredibly grateful that she lived to see me knock off all the crap and to stop running with the sort of raggedy-ass crowd I once favored. I feel extremely fortunate to have done that while she still lived, and to have stayed that way for enough years that she was confident that the transformation was a reality. She was mighty pleased by this, and somehow left me feeling downright ennobled to have finally earned her approval.

We had some perfectly wonderful times together. One time, about eight years ago, she got really, really sick and was housebound for about a week. When that happened, I suspended my traditional nocturnal shenanigans in favor of going to her house each night to keep her company. During that time, I read the novel Confederacy of Dunces to her aloud as she lounged, swathed in quilts, in her easy chair.

I really enjoyed myself that week. She looked like a big, fuzzy, very colorful cocoon that somebody plopped onto that chair, and most of the time all I could see was the top of her head down to her eyes. However, every now and then something would happen in the book that would cause her head to pop into full view, usually as she giggled with delight. Though much of the humor in the book is dated, the novel itself is nonetheless hysterically funny, and so there were also many times when I could hear the muted sound of her laughter puffing out from beneath the quilt as she actually doubled over with mirth and all but the very top of her head disappeared from view. When that happened, I would croon, "Oh Maaaaa-aaah? You gonna be okay over there, sweetheart?"

Her muffled voice would float out from beneath the quilt, usually saying something such as, "Ah'll be jus' fahn, Raw-burt. Jus' keep readin'... ah have got to hear what th' big, crazy fool does next! Mercy!"

Later on, she told me that nobody had ever read a story to her like that before-- not even during her field hand, cotton-choppin' childhood. She said that she felt positively spoiled that somebody did that for her, and I will never forget the sudden surge of happiness that I felt when she thanked me. I was literally left swooning, and for once it wasn't because I was loaded on something.

That was one of the best times I ever had. There is something so sweet and perfect about sharing that sort of pure and innocent love that I simply do not know how to express the sheer joy of it. Man, I could go on forever about it-- and about her.

Thanks again to all. It's nice to have good friends, and I count many of you as being just that.

Easy,
Robert :)

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
r.gif

Latest Threads