Magnet Stuck to bobbins

LP1865

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,273
Hey Guys!
Opened up my old Epiphone HOTCH pickup to swap out the A5 mag for an A3.
Took me an hour to dewax the whole thing, and when I could reach the magnet, it wouldn't come out.
I removed more wax, and it still didn't come out.
I then completely removed the baseplate screws, and lifted the bobbins apart. One side of the baseplate stayed attached due to the wiring.
I pushed and tried with a knife, but the damn thing won't budge?
Any tips, or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Tagging @cooljuk here coz he knows a lot about pickups
 

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
25,641
Well, opening it up and taking the bobbins off would have been my first step. You'll never get al the wax out. Just open it up and break away any cold wax in your way. That's faster and cleaner than melting or whatever.

So, now that you've got the bobbin separated, put your knife away before you stab yourself in the hand, lol!

If magnet is stuck to the bottom of one bobbin - Grab the bobbin from the top with one hand, grab the half of the magnet not attached to the bobbin with the other and roll it off, rather than pulling it off.

If the magnet is stuck to the baseplate, and you're skilled and brave, hit it with a small butane torch, like the kind they sell in chef supply shops or Bed Bath and Beyond. Not a cigarette lighter, you need a much wider area of flame. Heat around the perimeter of the magnet, where it's sitting on the baseplate. The magnet will fall off. Is things turn blue or red, you've gone way too far. Give up.

If you're not so skilled and brave, unsolder the bobbins/hookup lead so you've got just the baseplate/magnet assembly separated. Throw it in some boiling water (it'll mess up the pot you put it in, don't use stuff you care about). The magnet should fall off. Then, you'll have to solder the other parts back on and reassemble.
 

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
25,641

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
25,641
Some magnets are glued on.
Ah. I see very few Epiphone pickups. They are gluing the magnets in? Wow.

If it's glued to the baseplate, the torch or boiling water should still work, unless it's epoxy (which would seem a waste of time and cost for production). If it's glued to the bobbin, just throw it out and start over rather than trying to fix or mod it. If you break off the bottom of the bobbin with the magnet, the pickup is toast, anyway.
 

ARandall

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
15,476
Reaction score
12,345
I'm not sure about Epis, but it doesn't strike me as unexpected.
But I think dimarzio did/does. Along with consistent magnet size, It's just another way for more modern pickup designs to reduce microphonics.
 

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
25,641
Oh, ya. DiMarzio always has. That thick glue is mostly what holds a Super Distortion together. I think the screws are just there to keep the parts in place until the glue sets. :)
 

LP1865

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,273
Well, opening it up and taking the bobbins off would have been my first step.
The soldered wire appears to be coming in the way.
If magnet is stuck to the bottom of one bobbin - Grab the bobbin from the top with one hand, grab the half of the magnet not attached to the bobbin with the other and roll it off, rather than pulling it off.
I'll try this. The magnet is stuck to the bobbins
You could just replace it,
I already have.
This is just the old pair I ripped out and wanna experiment with.
They appear to be decent learning platforms, as they are humbuckers.
Some magnets are glued on.
Might be possible. I hope its not the case tho.
 

LP1865

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,273
So I got it out. It was stuck due to the wax, and just needed some coaxing with a flat head screw driver.
I also noticed another thing, that is there were two small strands of copper wire coming out of the edge of a bobbin. There appears to be a small semicircle and I can see the copper winding from there. Is this normal or is the pickup broken?
 

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
25,641
Is this normal or is the pickup broken?
If you only see "loops" and not "ends" of the wire, it might be normal-ish. If the pickup doesn't work, it's broken. If it works, it's not. Sometimes you can't see a break, but it may be there. Sometimes you see wire under the tape, but it's not broken.
 

LP1865

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,273
If you only see "loops" and not "ends" of the wire, it might be normal-ish. If the pickup doesn't work, it's broken. If it works, it's not. Sometimes you can't see a break, but it may be there. Sometimes you see wire under the tape, but it's not broken.
Got it thanks. i'll be testing this pickup soon
 


Latest Threads



Top