Made is USA perpendicular on “second” 81 lp std?

stedge

Reaction score
Apologies if my search technique is weak.

there is a guitar not too far from me that i am interested in. 1981 goldtop les paul. Marked “second” fairly low down the headstock. The”made is USA” stamp sits perpendicular the the serial number, which looks legit (and i have an inquiry in to Gibson).Womder if it was a second because of the miu stamp orientation or if this is fishy? Gather some other models had stamps oriented that way but cant find anything re les pauls.

appreciate any feedback.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies if my search technique is weak.

there is a guitar not too far from me that i am interested in. 1981 goldtop les paul. Marked “second” fairly low down the headstock. The”made is USA” stamp sits perpendicular the the serial number, which looks legit (and i have an inquiry in to Gibson).Womder if it was a second because of the miu stamp orientation or if this is fishy? Gather some other models had stamps oriented that way but cant find anything re les pauls.

appreciate any feedback.
This would indicate a Kalamazoo built guitar.........Nashville and Kalamazoo factories were both building Les Pauls and other models at the same time. This is one way of to identify the origins of similar models.

Like this RD

51395842731_b361803cc5_b.jpg

Or this all gold limited edition.

IMG_3572.jpg.73c6940ae38d301a8a8f64875e23a792.jpg

Of course Norlins with decal serials don't have the "made in usa" impressions....they are lettered in the decal.

And those made before late 1974 were all Kalamazoo made.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
Mudface is right, that just indicates it was built in the Kalamazoo factory. Factory Seconds were actually pretty common at the time and normally just indicate some or other, usually minor, finish flaw that by now would be undetectable if the guitar has normal wear and tear for its age. If everything checks out and it plays and sounds right don't let the Second stamp stop you.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Is it in Myrtle Beach South Carolina?

If so, you are a damn fool if you pay that much for that guitar.

Last edited:

stedge

Reaction score
Ha. It is but it is no longer a consideration. The gent has inflated idea of what a guitar is worth. No worries. Someone might buy it. He had not listed a price that i saw but i was just trying to find out about the guitar. Not many show up within driving distance

appreciate all the input.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
He’s a fucking dumb ass…
This idiot lives a few hours from me and I have emailed him this morning.
DA Vincent Oleman said:
This guitar was meant to be in the case it's in, not any chain saw case. There is a reason that you are contacting me about the guitar and that's because it's bad ass. It seems like you categorize guitars all the same.... by what year it is and by what the lowest price you see on the internet. If you could, don't buy any of my guitars, they are no good and you wouldn't like them. They are just like every guitar you see on the internet and I know if you search you can find one cheaper, it should be exactly like mine and you can get it really cheap, it makes more sense, Thanks and Best Regards ]

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I think they come up within driving distance fairly often, but not always at true market prices.

What are you looking for?

stedge

Reaction score
You might be better at finding them than i am.
I dont have one model in mind. And honestly would cons mij too. Just want a good lp with any neck except a massive baseball bat. Early 90s classic, early 2000 std le w ebony board, norlin/early 80s, std or custom or studio, or whatever. Great player dont mind mild and reasonable evidence of use. Not something I would take s bath on if i dont like it.
I have a 70-71 deluxe so mot a deluxe. But just a little off the beaten path.
Hows that for i’ll know it when i see it and price is right.
Fwiw cash or i can do a trade plus/minus for a 1984 fender esprit elite. Black. But that would need to be local.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I will keep my eyes out… Where are you located? Are you interested in getting rid of the deluxe?

Latest Threads