Made in Japan Neck Profiles

reborn old

Reaction score
Good idea Gammy.
My two Tokai LS's and late 1980 Greco EGF all have '59 dimensions based on the "original burst averages" table posted below. 22.4 + 24.5 (EGF was 24.25 at 11th fret).
I was actually amazed at how they are all within such close measurement tolerances everywhere (other than the Greco neck cutaway).

Attachments

freebird2

Reaction score
Here's what I have collected over the years for "traditional/original" Les Paul shaped MIJ guitars . I did not include data that I have for other MIJ "Gibson-style" guitars. I never measured width, just neck thinkness. In the table you'll see that I've included Gibson Les Paul data. That data comes from the Beauty of the Burst book.

Attachments

freebird2

Reaction score
Good idea Gammy.
My two Tokai LS's and late 1980 Greco EGF all have '59 dimensions based on the "original burst averages" table posted below. 22.4 + 24.5 (EGF was 24.25 at 11th fret).
I was actually amazed at how they are all within such close measurement tolerances everywhere (other than the Greco neck cutaway).
Yup, that's the table I'm refering to. Two minute apart posts.

GammyBird

Reaction score
I'm hoping to collect measurements from different LP's and put it in a table similar to the one in Beauty of the Burst. I got the urge to measure my guitars from all the questions regarding the ObG 59R being a 60's profile neck and not a 59 profile.

freebird2

Reaction score
Here's what I have collected over the years for "traditional/original" Les Paul shaped MIJ guitars . I did not include data that I have for other MIJ "Gibson-style" guitars. I never measured width, just neck thinkness. In the table you'll see that I've included Gibson Les Paul data. That data comes from the Beauty of the Burst book.
Just an fyi - all measurements were made using the same Cen-Tech micrometer.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Just an fyi - all measurements were made using the same Cen-Tech micrometer.
Thanks. Mind if I borrow your data? :)

jacco

Reaction score
I've got a lot of measurements too, but first; where exactly did you guys measure; proximal, distal or on the fret?

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a lot of measurements too, but first; where exactly did you guys measure; proximal, distal or on the fret?
I measure from the fretboard center, right behind the fret. I also use 100 yen plastic callipers so .5 mm is the most accuracy I get.:)

jacco

Reaction score
I measure from the fretboard center, right behind the fret. I also use 100 yen plastic callipers so .5 mm is the most accuracy I get.:)
Can you rephrase that Harold? Do you measure north or south from the fret?
I measure north from & against the fret, is that the way to go?

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you rephrase that Harold? Do you measure north or south from the fret?
I measure north from & against the fret, is that the way to go?
I always measure from the fretboard but the position where I measure is right behind the fret (headstock side) as opposed to in front (bridge side). If you mean north is towards the headstock it sounds the same to me.

jacco

Reaction score
Thanks, that's were I measure too

JDB

Reaction score
would it really make any difference what side of a 2-3mm fret you measured from?

joebonsai

Reaction score
To make it clear

This is the measure Mark's Guitar Loft does

:hippie:

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
The 11th vs. 12th fret measurement is interesting, any idea behind the reasoning for one or the other?

jacco

Reaction score
To make it clear

This is the measure Mark's Guitar Loft does

:hippie:
BOTB measures at 1st & 11th, if you want to compare to that, maybe it's best to do the same.

JDB said:
would it really make any difference what side of a 2-3mm fret you measured from?
No, not really, because it's still a hand measurement which won't have repeatable results & most of us don't have professional equipment, making margin of error even bigger. Uniformity helps a little bit though.

GammyBird

Reaction score
I always measure from the fretboard but the position where I measure is right behind the fret (headstock side) as opposed to in front (bridge side). If you mean north is towards the headstock it sounds the same to me.
I did my measurements dead center....should I re-do my measurements?