Macy's Parade- Gibson Float

Mattyboy

Reaction score
Any of you just see that? A Gibson guitar float promoting the Gibson "lifestyle". :laugh2:

Would've been nice if someone actually played a guitar. Instead Jimmy Fallon and some rap dude sang We Will Rock You. :hmm:

Not saying it was bad, but they could've had a guitarist up there playing some Christmas carol or something to promote their guitars instead of the "lifestyle".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-eKQXepNY[/ame]

Mantis

Reaction score
some one with a black custom bigsby equipped playing sleepwalk would have been the way to go.

Electroman67

Reaction score
The 5 korean kids, all playing Jingle Bells on Gibson acoustics would have been more appropriate lol.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
It was the most excited I've got over a float in a long time (since I was a kid, TBH), tho. It was pretty fkn badass to see a Les Paul up there.... Regardless of the "band". A Sunburst Les Paul is just iconic in music. Probably the most recorded guitar in rock n' roll.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
It was the most excited I've got over a float in a long time (since I was a kid, TBH), tho. It was pretty fkn badass to see a Les Paul up there.... Regardless of the "band". A Sunburst Les Paul is just iconic in music. Probably the most recorded guitar in rock n' roll.

Yeah they did a great job of promoting the visual aspect of the guitar. Which is important to alot of people. However, since it's a musical instrument, they might've wanted have someone give a demonstration of it.

The Macy's parade is nothing more than an advertisement for almost every float that travels by. Gibson had what? About a minute and 50 seconds of airtime to millions of people?

Everyone here knows how a Gibson sounds, but to the 35-50 year old male casual viewer they are trying to appeal to; chances are he doesn't know the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul. And after almost two minutes of nationwide airtime, they still don't know.

I hope it pays off for Gibson, but I just don't see how singing a Queen song with practically no guitar playing will sell a guitar, let alone a lifestyle.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They should have got Robert Plant to sing it...:naughty:

sonar1

Reaction score
Shoulda had Phil X playing a Firebird X. That'd sell 'em. :laugh2:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

57VOS

Reaction score
Why would they want a rapper on that float? Gibson guitars have ZERO to do with rapping or rap music. That sucked.

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
I think those were The Roots - they play with Jimmy Fallon on his show, so that's why they're on there.

Yep, it's The Roots.

garweft

Reaction score
I saw it and instantly wanted to go buy a guitar........

a Strat. :laugh2:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not saying it was bad, but they could've had a guitarist up there playing some Christmas carol or something to promote their guitars instead of the "lifestyle".

It's not about playing guitars mate, it's about being cool. :thumb:

Hero-Lifestlye-Gibson-Support.jpg

Kids_votd1995.jpg

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
:wtf: :laugh2:
I didn't see this earlier,
but it seems rather backwards.
Whatever, Gibson is as Gibson does.

Toris93

Reaction score
few things are as rock'n'roll as advertising!

Gibson is a ****ing joke at this point.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Boy, guy who was working the "wearing their T-shirt means you're stupid" needs to find this thread for good meltdown potential.

LongBeach

Reaction score
That was stupid :laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously "rap" :eek: since when did that coincide
with people that actually play instruments :acoustic::slap:

Mad Scientist

Reaction score
This is the same reason I stopped watching The Rose Parade on New Years Day. The float has no other meaning or purpose than to be a rolling commercial.

Latest Threads