MacOS Monterey 12.01 -> 12.1 now

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Apple bought Penny & Giles two years ago.

...ok, not really (that I know of) but I've been thinking the same thing. There's some neat digital mixers out there for the live environment but, by comparison, there's none that can touch what a simple ITB home studio can do, other than offer a large physical rugged format to manhandle. Hardware control for video is in a somewhat similar state.

There's a vacuum in those markets that I never see discussed.

Sooner or later, I think the Logic Pro team at Apple will get the itch.... A DAW is simply a digital mixer....

When you look at the digital mixers out there do, it is very much like a DAW....

The FX are pretty much 'plug-ins' and some of em you can buy plug-in packs to load.... If you took at DAW and a compatible DAW control surface (dumbass mixer with sliders and such, built to act like a mechanical mixer for the 'virtual' mixer in the DAW.

Just like the plug-in 'slots' above a slider in Logic/ProTools/etc. interface, you have basically the same in a digital mixer.... Soooooooo, if one could buy a control surface that will natively interface with a DAW, then you have a digital mixer.....

Sat behind a Vi7000 a couple years ago for the first time..... With all the Harmon family labels on it, I was thinking 'the only thing missing is a built in full DAW.... and a coffee machine.... Ungodly desk....

The main problem with most digital mixers is 'processor horsepower, memory, and storage'.... That limits the OS capability of the mixer. Many digital mixers will only allow. couple of different FX plug-ins active... Use em on as many channels you want but still ya gots TWO slots for active FX.. Yeah, Operating System. It is as much a computer as your iPhone or iPad or Macbook or Windows machine.... Dedicated computer....

Now imagine an M2 Ultra based desk with lotsa RAM and internal redundant storage system....SSDs are getting very cheap. you could have multiples in the area required for 2.5" mechanical HD...

One can dream....

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I was going to wait, as I just put a bunch of the 2023 Adobe stuff on my machine but... I have lots of laborious type work to do. In a sick way, I'd probably welcome a bit of computer downtime (guaranteed, I'll regret saying that). Here goes nothing...

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
...and THE very first thing that I see in Ventura, after checking the "go away" box on the terms and conditions, is the "mylespaul.com would like permission to send you push notifications"

I agreed. Hopefully, it's just subscriptions and PMs. I'm cool with that. Just thought it was funny.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I worked, it was always, "wait until it's stable. The last thing you need is for it to do is shit the bed, while you're on the road in East Buttfuck Nowhere."

Now that I'm retired, it's, "wait until it's stable. The last thing you want to do is waste time fucking around with operating system settings."

So... wait I will.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
SSH "broken" in Ventura | MacRumors Forums

I ran into this today. SSH isn't working on my Mac. I compared it (and my keys) with my PC and all the settings and permissions are identical, but on PC I can SSH into the servers, on my Mac I can't.

Luckily since I can SSH with the PC I think I can generate a new key with a more secure algorithm and install it on the servers with the PC, then copy the keys to my Mac and hopefully then my Mac can connect to the servers again.

I'm 'lucky' I have a PC that I can use to do this. If I only used my Mac I'd be fucked.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
SSH "broken" in Ventura | MacRumors Forums

I ran into this today. SSH isn't working on my Mac. I compared it (and my keys) with my PC and all the settings and permissions are identical, but on PC I can SSH into the servers, on my Mac I can't.

Luckily since I can SSH with the PC I think I can generate a new key with a more secure algorithm and install it on the servers with the PC, then copy the keys to my Mac and hopefully then my Mac can connect to the servers again.

I'm 'lucky' I have a PC that I can use to do this. If I only used my Mac I'd be fucked.

Microsoft would call that a feature if it farked in a Win update... ;)

Latest Threads