MacOS Monterey 12.01 -> 12.1 now

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this might illuminate something about processors in general for somebody....

Had someone ask me to explain a processor using my famous redneck analogies....

I asked him if there was a livestock auction barn in his hometown.
Go there when they are down and climb up on a section of wood fence.
Notice you are not on a fence. Every section is a gate that can swing in multiple directions.

By manipulating gates, one could create a path from the back loading gate, all the way to the front where livestock goes into the ring. Then create a path BACK with a totally totally different path because as soon as you went into the ring, someone brought a different group of cows up behind you. You have to create a different path by manipulating needed gates to create said path.

Sometimes the gate is 'told' to send the cow that way. Sometimes send the cow this way. Sometimes to stop the cow,

The barn is the processor. Depending on how you manipulate the gates as in 'positions', the barn does a specific manipulation to the objects moving though it....

I send a command to a processor, the 0s and 1s unique combination in that command the barn to create specific paths...which will together will be a 'process'... Data can be manipulated about any way needed.... It ain't even close to magic.....

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, I did work some at an auction barn as a kid, moving livestock... I'd get up on fence and post to look at what 'pens' were occupied and ways around them to create the "logic picture" in my head to get from point A to Z then back to A... I could do it pretty quick... Some of the others that were older would blunder real time, have to back up a lot and go around occupied pens.... I knew where I was going already before I started... Little did I know what I was learning.....redneck style... ;)

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And yes, I did work some at an auction barn as a kid, moving livestock... I'd get up on fence and post to look at what 'pens' were occupied and ways around them to create the "logic picture" in my head to get from point A to Z then back to A... I could do it pretty quick... Some of the others that were older would blunder real time, have to back up a lot and go around occupied pens.... I knew where I was going already before I started... Little did I know what I was learning.....redneck style... ;)
1635787620857.gif

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
I'm still running Catalina 10.15.7 - I'm scared that upgrading would bork up my DAW software (Reason) or VST plugins

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I loved Big Sur. Catalina was a disaster for me. Never have I ever had to reformat and reinstall macOS more than in the Catalina period. I lost track. Maybe 8-10 times. It was never good for me. Big Sur however was just fine almost from the start. I'm now on Monterey and am loving it. I loved the visual redesign of Big Sur and that's improved in Monterey.

I'm actually running the latest on all my Apple devices - iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, etc. No issues.

I'm a day one updater and always have been. Never got burned. I get bored easy and I like new visual changes and a new coat of paint. I've never really had bugs with my Apple stuff. Nothing that would hinder productivity or what have you.

My Mac is a 2020 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. It's a great machine.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Big Sur. Catalina was a disaster for me. Never have I ever had to reformat and reinstall macOS more than in the Catalina period. I lost track. Maybe 8-10 times. It was never good for me. Big Sur however was just fine almost from the start. I'm now on Monterey and am loving it. I loved the visual redesign of Big Sur and that's improved in Monterey.

I'm actually running the latest on all my Apple devices - iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, etc. No issues.

I'm a day one updater and always have been. Never got burned. I get bored easy and I like new visual changes and a new coat of paint. I've never really had bugs with my Apple stuff. Nothing that would hinder productivity or what have you.

My Mac is a 2020 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. It's a great machine.

Are you not having any Notification problems in iOS 15 on any devices?

I've not updated from 14 yet on any devices, except, I just bought my wife an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Once activated, notifications don't work. A message sent doesn't light up the screen or make a sound when the phone is just sitting not being used. You only know that you have a message (or Messenger, What's App, etc.) if you pick it up and check the lock screen. Apparently it is EXTREMELY widespread. A few have gotten past the problems with some resets or setting changes, but most cannot find a resolution. So far, Apple has said and done nothing. Probably going to have to reactivate her old phone until this is worked out.
Sometimes I just want to fly to Cupertino and beat the shit out of a few people.

murmel

Reaction score
I have upgraded to Monterrey on my M1 Mac Mini and it runs smooth. Didn't have the guts to upgrade my i7 Mac Book Pro.

BSquared62

Banned
Reaction score
Sad…went to upgrade my iMac and was told it is too old. Stuck on OS X. (Late 2013).

I know, I know. Donating the computer to my nephew’s kid for games (he is 3), and will do with my Windows laptop for now. Ugh. Loved that computer.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Sad…went to upgrade my iMac and was told it is too old. Stuck on OS X. (Late 2013).

I know, I know. Donating the computer to my nephew’s kid for games (he is 3), and will do with my Windows laptop for now. Ugh. Loved that computer.

Check this out. I'm running Big Sur on a non-Metal GPU 2011 MB Air. Definitely not an officially supported model. It's the only way I could run some real simple but necessary software, like my package tracking software. Works great, but does require a little tech-ability to get it running at first.

BSquared62

Banned
Reaction score
Check this out. I'm running Big Sur on a non-Metal GPU 2011 MB Air. Definitely not an officially supported model. It's the only way I could run some real simple but necessary software, like my package tracking software. Works great, but does require a little tech-ability to get it running at first.

I will check that out! Thanks.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Are you not having any Notification problems in iOS 15 on any devices?

I've not updated from 14 yet on any devices, except, I just bought my wife an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Once activated, notifications don't work. A message sent doesn't light up the screen or make a sound when the phone is just sitting not being used. You only know that you have a message (or Messenger, What's App, etc.) if you pick it up and check the lock screen. Apparently it is EXTREMELY widespread. A few have gotten past the problems with some resets or setting changes, but most cannot find a resolution. So far, Apple has said and done nothing. Probably going to have to reactivate her old phone until this is worked out.
Sometimes I just want to fly to Cupertino and beat the shit out of a few people.

My grandpa had that problem last year and it was that for a few of his contacts, the people sending the messages were put on mute for some reason to where they could send a message, but it wouldn't ding or show up in the notifications on the lock screen. I'd make sure that isn't the case. Here's an article on how to turn that mute function on and off in iMessage:

https://www.imore.com/how-mute-block-and-report-imessage-spam-iphone-and-ipad#mute

I have a 13 Pro Max and I have not had that issue on mine, but when my grandpa got his 12 Pro Max last year, he had that trouble start about a month after he got the new phone. It was only 4 or 5 contacts, but his 4 or 5 most common contacts.

It wouldn't explain the trouble with WhatsApp and Messenger though. I don't use WhatsApp but I do use iMessage and Messenger frequently and haven't noticed any trouble. I would say if it's a known issue, it will get fixed. Make sure to update the phone to iOS 15.1 which is the latest update. 15.1.1 or maybe even 15.2 shouldn't be far around the corner.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandpa had that problem last year and it was that for a few of his contacts, the people sending the messages were put on mute for some reason to where they could send a message, but it wouldn't ding or show up in the notifications on the lock screen. I'd make sure that isn't the case. Here's an article on how to turn that mute function on and off in iMessage:

https://www.imore.com/how-mute-block-and-report-imessage-spam-iphone-and-ipad#mute

I have a 13 Pro Max and I have not had that issue on mine, but when my grandpa got his 12 Pro Max last year, he had that trouble start about a month after he got the new phone. It was only 4 or 5 contacts, but his 4 or 5 most common contacts.

It wouldn't explain the trouble with WhatsApp and Messenger though. I don't use WhatsApp but I do use iMessage and Messenger frequently and haven't noticed any trouble. I would say if it's a known issue, it will get fixed. Make sure to update the phone to iOS 15.1 which is the latest update. 15.0.1 or maybe even 15.2 shouldn't be far around the corner.

Yea, I checked the obvious things, like muted conversations.

Turns out, it was because her iPad was nearby. She never uses it. It's normally put away. But, she's using it now. She watches something on it, with AirPods, sitting next to me, while I watch baseball.

Since the last time either one of us had multiple devices near us at the same time, Apple instituted a change. If you have multiple devices capable of accepting an iMessage sent to you, the OS's decide which one would be the best to display a message. For instance if you have an iPhone, an iPad and are wearing an Apple Watch, it used to be all 3 would "ding." Now, if you have latest or near latest OS's, only one will "ding." The OS's decide which device seems to be most logical to show a notification.

Her iPad volume was almost to zero. Sitting on the end table next to the couch where we were. The notifications were going to it, instead of her phone. I've deactivated Messages on the iPad. She doesn't have an Apple Watch (and never will.) So now her phone is receiving proper notifications as expected since it's the only device that accepts notifications to her phone number and Apple ID.

A lot of time wasted figuring all that shit out. Overturned a LOT of rocks before finding the actual answer.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Yea, I checked the obvious things, like muted conversations.

Turns out, it was because her iPad was nearby. She never uses it. It's normally put away. But, she's using it now. She watches something on it, with AirPods, sitting next to me, while I watch baseball.

Since the last time either one of us had multiple devices near us at the same time, Apple instituted a change. If you have multiple devices capable of accepting an iMessage sent to you, the OS's decide which one would be the best to display a message. For instance if you have an iPhone, an iPad and are wearing an Apple Watch, it used to be all 3 would "ding." Now, if you have latest or near latest OS's, only one will "ding." The OS's decide which device seems to be most logical to show a notification.

Her iPad volume was almost to zero. Sitting on the end table next to the couch where we were. The notifications were going to it, instead of her phone. I've deactivated Messages on the iPad. She doesn't have an Apple Watch (and never will.) So now her phone is receiving proper notifications as expected since it's the only device that accepts notifications to her phone number and Apple ID.

A lot of time wasted figuring all that shit out. Overturned a LOT of rocks before finding the actual answer.

Ah, sorry about that. I didn't think to ask that..

Yes, if you have other Apple devices like iPads, Macs, etc - it will send the notification to the device it thinks you are using at that moment or to the one it thinks you used most recently. It's part of Handoff. Signing out of iMessage on that device is definitely the right call.

My Apple Watch will ding when I'm wearing it, and not the phone. When it's off of my wrist, it goes to whatever device I'm using at the moment or the one I used most recently.

Latest Threads