machinehead repair

marantz1300

Reaction score
Is it possible to repair my waffle back machineheads?
They still work ,but feel a little loose.
/SDC11176_zps89aac385.jpg.html]
[/URL]

crazygtr

Reaction score
Haven't work with them before, maybe someone with experience with them will chime in.

tnt423

Reaction score
Anything is possible, whether it's a good idea to try or not is a whole nuther story.
Feeling loose is not a problem as long as they hold tune well. Do they only feel loose when they don't have string on them or is there a lot of backlash under tension?

marantz1300

Reaction score
I can't see the picture.
It's a 69 Les Paul Custom.They are waffle backs.

Anything is possible, whether it's a good idea to try or not is a whole nuther story.
Feeling loose is not a problem as long as they hold tune well. Do they only feel loose when they don't have string on them or is there a lot of backlash under tension?
They hold tune,just feel a little vague.
I want to improve the feel if possible.I like machineheads that feel tight.

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Can you bend the tangs out to disassemble?
I've repaired vintage Klusons by doing that.

If not I'd look at getting higher quality repros.

tnt423

Reaction score
You can carefully bend the tangs out to remove the back the see if you can remove the gear from the shaft and install a very thin washer under the gear to tighten them up then reinstall the gear and reassemble.
I had to hone some very small washers on a stone to do this once. Took forever.
If you have any doubt about your ability to bend the tangs, get reproductions and hang on to these. once you break the tang they are done and useless.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I'm not familliar with any type "waffle back" tuner, but if your going to try it for the first time, I'd get a few extras to experiment with so you don't ruin your originals. I've also restored vintage Deluxe Klusons.

Dougie

Reaction score
Yep get the repro waffle backs and SAVE the originals.. They're probably worth several hundred bucks by now.

Latest Threads