M2M program alive?

derek1977

Reaction score
I was watching a demo of a Gibson CS guitar on youtube posted by a dealer. In the details, they said the m2m program was phased out at the end of 2019. I had not heard this before. I was thinking about using the m2m program for a new guitar.

Is the M2M program finished?

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I was just at the Gibson Garage in Nashville a couple weeks ago... they had a whole section dedicated to the Custom Shop and to the M2M program where you could order a M2M guitar directly from the Gibson Garage... so no, it’s not been phased out. Maybe that particular dealer whose video you were watching had phased out their participation in the M2M program.

Here’s pics from my visit to the Gibson Garage showing the M2M goodies. :)

Necks
FEEAF27B-D3F7-438A-AF26-760C0571E750.jpeg

Finishes
5AD1A92E-1854-4700-A088-055666FE7F84.jpeg

Top “blanks”
C3E8B1E1-FDA2-4AAD-BF46-A1C8C8118716.jpeg

derek1977

Reaction score
Thanks Pub. Good to know that it's still around. Great photos as well. Bet you had a great time!

derek1977

Reaction score
It's beautiful. Is there anything different about it or is it a regular spec R9?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's beautiful. Is there anything different about it or is it a regular spec R9?
I was told it was M2M due to the top being selected and the color choices (green lemon top and slightly lighter cherry on the back). The specs are all standard for an R9.

goldtop0

Reaction score
My thoughts are that we're currently in the best period ever for Customshop guitars and Gibson overall, they're making outstanding instruments.

Thanks for the pics of the Garage Pub..........really great to see:applause:

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
I own a '20 M2M R9 and love it. Whoever ordered it, backed out and I bought for regular price. I have no idea what differences were ordered and unfortunately I shipped a guitar I sold with the box that came with it. I've contacted Gibson, but haven't gotten a reply. I think many M2M are just nicer tops. I am not an expert. Here is my '20 R9:

Small 1.jpg

IGRocker

Reaction score
What’s a ballpark estimate on price for these? I assume it varies widely. I’ve been looking for an R8 with a burst that’s almost wine red, and they’re hard to come by.

DBDM

Reaction score
The M2M is still very much alive. The Gibson Garage is the place where you can order Rx Les Paul styles. For other reissues or true bespoke made guitars (non historic specs or something you personally dreamed up that does not involve colors or combo of available features), you will be redirected to the custom shop who may or may not be able to accommodate your specific requests. The costs are no cheap, per se, but not out of line of many of the limited artist models or higher end Custom shop models being sold today.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’d love to get a M2M. There has been so many that have popped up under normal production that meet the criteria I’d want anyway so I’ve never ventured down that avenue.

After being without one for so long.. I feel the need for one again:hmm:

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Mike Doty at Tone Shop in the Dallas area this week and he assures me that M2M is indeed up and running.
I got a price quote and a 16-month waiting period for a rather unique build.
(Inspired by a 2003 ‘68 re-issue that I have.)
A Les Paul Custom, but with a flamed Maple top.
White binding.
Clear natural finish front and back.
60 slim taper neck, dark Ebony board.
Black plastics.
Nickel hardware.
Locking Rotomatics and ‘57 Classics.

Gibson built some natural finish Customs in the 70s, but most of them had really dull or boring tops.
And I’m not going to pay collector money for a Norlin when I can get a brand new one.

I know, it's an unusual guitar.
Probably will be quite rare since it's not something that Gibson ever did in normal production.
I mean, a slim neck on a Custom is already hard to find.

The only hurdle now is finding a buyer for my 2002 Les Paul Black Beauty with a glossy finish and a Bigsby.
C’mon, Reverb!
Leee wants a new guitar!!!

If all of that happens, and the guitar is everything I have wanted for 25 years, next on the auction block will be that ‘68 reissue I mentioned.
I won’t need it anymore!
The top is absolutely stunning, and it sounds killer, but the neck is a little fatter than I prefer.
The final rub is that I’ve never liked the finish. Too much amber tint in the top.
(To me, it screams YELLOW!)

So I have decided that if I can get the killer flame top natural finish Custom I’ve always wanted, I can probably part with it after all.
Then at that point, I will be looking to spend that money on a killer ‘60 Les Paul burst re-issue.
But there's PLENTY of them out there to choose from.

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit disappointed with the M2M program. I wanted a specific neck size and profile and my dealer told me Gibson said "no can do"

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How specific, exactly?

Latest Threads