M2M Limits?

JMP

Reaction score
That would be way outside the box for Gibson. I bet they wouldn’t...cause it’s not in line with their history. But who knows.
I have no idea what the M2M will and won’t do, but Gibson most certainly made Les Pauls in the 70s with maple necks and volutes.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That would be way outside the box for Gibson. I bet they wouldn’t...cause it’s not in line with their history. But who knows.
Man, I thought they did a Norlin LPC reissue in recent years. Reason I think that is b/c I have a distinct memory of thinking they were pricier new than actual clean vintage examples. But, if that's true, then it's perhaps a template/spec that's in the historic shop repertoire.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Man, I thought they did a Norlin LPC reissue in recent years. Reason I think that is b/c I have a distinct memory of thinking they were pricier new than actual clean vintage examples. But, if that's true, then it's perhaps a template/spec that's in the historic shop repertoire.
They did.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Hmm, looks like they went mahogany for the neck.
it's a 74 reissue, maple necks didn't start until 75 i believe.

They also did the 70s Tribute Les Paul, which had Norlin features such as a three-piece maple neck, volute and large headstock. Very cool.

I think it would be awesome if they expanded the Classic Collection line with a Standard '70s model with those specs. I mean why not?

Jer

Reaction score
I asked Wildwood yesterday if they could do a custom neck carve, a soft V like Clapton's Strat specifically, and was told they can't duplicate things like that. From this I infer that custom shapes like volutes wouldn't work either...

...though I bet you if my name was Clapton r Jimmy they could probably do it. :cool:
You could ask for the Tommy Colletti Custom neck profile. It has a soft V profile.

Unionjack515

Reaction score
We’re getting closer. I’m strongly considering a fully painted body and neck. It’s a toss up at this point between that and a dark back. Interestingly, I’ve been told it won’t change the price...I think there’s some dealer fudgery going on there but no big deal.

Pappy35

Reaction score
You could ask for the Tommy Colletti Custom neck profile. It has a soft V profile.
I found and played a brand new Custom Shop R9 in Nashville and I love that neck! Problem solved. Now I just have to figure out which bank I'm going to rob....eh, I mean, where to "find" the money to pay for it...

Reactions: Jer

Unionjack515

Reaction score
wow thats not bad! I got quoted $7500 for a 68 reissue custom in candy apple blue :rofl:. obviously did not move forward. Was expecting something more along the lines of your quote. Going to have to call CME
Yeah I’d be curious what helped my quote stay low-ish. I’m assuming it’s because it’s a painted plain top (though yours would have been too) and I didn’t ask for any aging. Maybe they actually charge less for less electronics and routing? Is that even possible??? Ha

Unionjack515

Reaction score
Price is settled on. I decided on a fully painted body and neck. And I requested a clear cavity cover...weird quirk of mine I guess, I have them on all my LPs. Figured it would be easiest to request them from Gibson in this case as I’m sure the control cavity will be a weird shape and not commercially available. Now a 6-12 month wait.

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
this has a headstock with the Gibson logo somewhat lower than usual. Actually 1952-1956 period correct I think. Why don’t they do this for reissues then?

Latest Threads