Luthier's Tips, Tricks And Tutorials

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
like you said in an earlier post....i overlooked this one somehow when it was published. while i'll probably never build one, i like looking at threads of other models. this has exceptionally crisp work, has great pics, and is well delivered.
It's a gem of a thread, and not just for Explorer content.

Any thread by Tom Bartlett is a doosey!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apologies is this isn’t what you’re looking for...

I’ve learned a million and one tricks on this forum, but hands down the most useful has been the “masking tape & super glue” trick for attaching templates to work pieces. For those that don’t know, place a piece of 2” painters tape on the facing sides of your wood and on your template. Use a few dabs of medium or thick CA glue and press the pieces together. In this photo I temporarily attached two blocks to the tenon of this neck for easy clamping in my vise.

View attachment 445036

Unlike carpet tape, this method has no lateral wiggle, and is easy to remove by just pulling the pieces apart. Carpet tape has caused me to rip fibers from the wood and rip my fingernails back many times, and it leaves sticky residue behind.

I use this painters tape + CA glue technique for all kinds of guitar and furniture making projects. Fastening MDF routing templates and taping small pieces down to a sled for thickness sanding work out great.

*Edit
I had to do this with some templates this week and took some more photos.

Start by masking both sides to be glued together with some wide tape.
View attachment 470332
Medium CA....NOT the thin stuff. That will run everywhere.
View attachment 470333

Honestly that's probably too much glue.
View attachment 470334

Give it a minute or two to dry with something heavy on it proceed with routing!
View attachment 470335
does it matter if you use thinner glue?, as I have a load of normal CA glue.

DaveR

Reaction score
does it matter if you use thinner glue?, as I have a load of normal CA glue.
Water thin CA is not a good choice for this because it runs everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I like medium for the tape trick. The thicker gel stuff would probably work too, but takes longer to cure.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Water thin CA is not a good choice for this because it runs everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I like medium for the tape trick. The thicker gel stuff would probably work too, but takes longer to cure.
Yep. Even if you tape it off really well, water-thin can get under that tape.

Gel is too thick, but regular will do the job fine.

-Just make certain you've taped it off really well, and use a whip-tip for best results.

Bainzy

Reaction score
I've been trying different methods over the years to transfer plans to wood for making templates, including:

• measuring then redrawing onto the wood (very hard for curved things)
  • tracing, cutting it out and sticking the copy to the wood
  • tracing, cutting it out and drawing around it on the wood
  • pricking holes through the plan onto the wood
They all work to varying degrees but I think I've found my new favourite. This method doesn't damage the plans and doesn't result in paper furring up when you sand and thus making your line hard to see.

This afternoon I tried putting the plans over the wood with a large sheet of carbon paper in between. Just like you would do when writing an old fashioned invoice, it's just with bigger paper. With a sharp pencil the line is very clear, you just draw over the plans and the plans are then transferred to the wood below.

Attachments

the great waldo

Reaction score
Nice idea using a cove bit, I wouldn't have thought about that in a million years.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest Threads