Luthier's Corner Plans / Templates Resource

pavel

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are all of these templates, including the carve templates, designed to be used with flush trim bits (as opposed to using a bushing screwed into the router base plate)?

As always, thank you very much for your generosity of time and talent!
Yes, flush trim bits (or a pin router).

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are all of these templates, including the carve templates, designed to be used with flush trim bits (as opposed to using a bushing screwed into the router base plate)?

As always, thank you very much for your generosity of time and talent!
Correct. No bushing

Rubetel

Reaction score
Hello guys, a friend gave me a set of plastic covers that he bought for an epiphone and although they are not the correct color I decided to keep them to have references of sizes, thickness holes and these issues, but when comparing it with the plan ...
1627795756272.png

1627795784372.png

Oops they have nothing to do with it at all and it doesn't even have the same angles.
please bear with the newbies

Last edited:

pshupe

Reaction score
That's the tricky part with vintage instruments. You have to realize these guitars are 60 years old. You cannot expect to have parts from a newer guitar and have it match. Frankly some guitars made in the same year may have had different sized plastics. There are some standardized suppliers out there but even those may not fit on every vintage guitar.

Cheers Peter.

Bainzy

Reaction score
Found somewhere - click-post.co.uk . I might give them a try and see how I get on, they only do folded postage but they specifically give you an option to print at 100% 1:1 scale.

Just an update here for any UK forum visitors, I finally got around to using this company. Really happy with the results, it's folded A0 but done well and came within 2 days and most importantly is accurate. So happy to recommend.

HMH

Reaction score
Hi guys
I repeated the template this time more detailed using the spline tool in corel draw. I made sure that the vectorized drawing was on the line all the time and this time I sent it to be cut with a laser in 5.5 mm mdf. I only spent the equivalent of 4.3 dollars adding the mdf and the cutting service.
If anyone wants me to share the vectorized file, you can request it and I will gladly send it to your email
greetings Rubén
View attachment 519773
View attachment 519774
I would greatly appreciate a copy of the file.
Thank you

Rubetel

Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate a copy of the file.
Thank you
yes of course friend, give me your email
We would appreciate very much if you share your experiences and post photos and if you can cut the acrylic templates as well

HMH

Reaction score
Thank you. My email is:
[email protected]

I plan on cutting the templates in both thick acrylic as well as MDF. If the templates come out as planned, I will make duplicate copies on my pin router. I also plan on photographing the whole process.
Thanks again,
Matt

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Just a tip. I use cheap 5 minute epoxy to glue the plans to the MDF when making templates. Use a razor blade to squigy the epoxy to a thin film on the MDF. Expoy does not shrink the paper and it is stronger than any spray glue.

Dread Not

Reaction score
Hi, All. I'm new to this incredibly rich forum (thanks to the lead of a kind luthier who answered a cold-call email I sent him with another question). I recent had both a good experience and good success in building my first acoustic guitar and doing it with traditional, uncorded tools. So, I am new to guitar building; please be patient with my newbie question. Because of how much I enjoyed the process, I wanted to try my hand at a 1955 LP Jr build but with modern tools. I found a template online that seems precisely machined, but the rudimentary plans only include a few measurements for the body (e.g., neck pocket depth, control cavity depth, etc), but no other explanatory information. (I had to figure out the scale by doing the fret calculations from the frets that were included on the neck template; it seems to be a scale that Gibson didn't use for this model, 24.5). Perhaps, I'm over my head, and this template is for a more experienced builder. Whatever the case, I'm stumped, and I have a question that I feel like I need answered before I cut/profile and waste the neck material.

The routing template provides for a box joint with angled neck heel. The plans indicate cutting the neck pocket to 1.25 inches deep. However, when I put the neck profile//heel routing template in the mortise, the top of the neck, or bottom of the fretboard, will sit above the body of the guitar from 5/16" on the bridge side of the heel to 3/16" of at the 16th fret where the joint starts at the body. This seems like an eyesore to me, along with being a set up conundrum. Should that amount of wood, and keeping the angle, be taken from the bottom of the heel? If not, what is the fix? Otherwise, it seems like the top of the fretboard will be 9/16" off the body, rather than approx 1/4".

Thank you for dealing with the wordiness and considering my question.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, All. I'm new to this incredibly rich forum (thanks to the lead of a kind luthier who answered a cold-call email I sent him with another question). I recent had both a good experience and good success in building my first acoustic guitar and doing it with traditional, uncorded tools. So, I am new to guitar building; please be patient with my newbie question. Because of how much I enjoyed the process, I wanted to try my hand at a 1955 LP Jr build but with modern tools. I found a template online that seems precisely machined, but the rudimentary plans only include a few measurements for the body (e.g., neck pocket depth, control cavity depth, etc), but no other explanatory information. (I had to figure out the scale by doing the fret calculations from the frets that were included on the neck template; it seems to be a scale that Gibson didn't use for this model, 24.5). Perhaps, I'm over my head, and this template is for a more experienced builder. Whatever the case, I'm stumped, and I have a question that I feel like I need answered before I cut/profile and waste the neck material.

The routing template provides for a box joint with angled neck heel. The plans indicate cutting the neck pocket to 1.25 inches deep. However, when I put the neck profile//heel routing template in the mortise, the top of the neck, or bottom of the fretboard, will sit above the body of the guitar from 5/16" on the bridge side of the heel to 3/16" of at the 16th fret where the joint starts at the body. This seems like an eyesore to me, along with being a set up conundrum. Should that amount of wood, and keeping the angle, be taken from the bottom of the heel? If not, what is the fix? Otherwise, it seems like the top of the fretboard will be 9/16" off the body, rather than approx 1/4".

Thank you for dealing with the wordiness and considering my question.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sc-lp-juniors-pdf.431971/

^^ this thread has a detailed plan of the Les Paul Jr with many details from the various years in the early/mid ‘50s

pumpkinhead

Reaction score
Hi guys
I repeated the template this time more detailed using the spline tool in corel draw. I made sure that the vectorized drawing was on the line all the time and this time I sent it to be cut with a laser in 5.5 mm mdf. I only spent the equivalent of 4.3 dollars adding the mdf and the cutting service.
If anyone wants me to share the vectorized file, you can request it and I will gladly send it to your email
greetings Rubén

May I ask for a vector copy of your plans.

[email protected]
David

Rubetel

Reaction score
At this moment I have problems with my email but anyone here who has the file can share it with you, even a member from Argentina has continued working on it and is more up-to-date than mine.

stonedmoses

Reaction score
Hi guys
greetings Rubén

I would really appreciate the vectorized files! Thank you so much! [email protected]

Rubetel

Reaction score
Yes friend, with pleasure ... check your email. Share your experience please.

GPL90

Reaction score
Does anyone have the measurements for a Gibson EDS 1275? i cant find very many details.

Latest Threads