Luthier's Corner Plans / Templates Resource

RibbonCurl

Reaction score
M-69 rings (at least the bridge one) measures in at 3/8” (short side) and 1/2” (tall side), and they’re 1.75” across. That’s a change in height of 1/8” over the width which comes to a 4.085616 degrees.

View attachment 443704
View attachment 443733
View attachment 443734
View attachment 443735
Hi Dan, forgot to add your post which I am commenting on. Here it is again ... Thank you kindly for the extrodinary dedication to detail (as always). Makes all things that much more understandable!

Owen2414

Reaction score
New builder here with a simple Q?

On the Gold Standard plans, where is the recommended location for the securing drill hole on carve (contour) template #3? Is one missing on the plan, or is it to suggest there is only a single recommended location for this one template?

RibbonCurl

Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

This thread invites all who are willing to share their resources of where to obtain plans or templates for popular guitar builds. Also for those to inquire where one can obtain plans or templates . Thanks to you good folks who have been so generous with your time and efforts to make resources like this accessible to our community.

VERSION 2.0 NOW AVAILABLE!

Greetings Everyone!

Daniel Dean, Frank Pine, and myself, have completed the first stage of a set of vintage correct Les Paul plans for you all. This project was begun by Daniel Dean, who has been compiling information and measurements on vintage Les Pauls for years. He was the master mind, and ensured that every measurement was verified and then worked into the final plan in such a way that truly represents extreme vintage accuracy. Frank Pine, supplied a ton of measurements, images, and even video of his vintage Les Pauls. I did the easy part, I drew the plans. They are drawn in a way that reflects my own building experience. Every messurment and detail is drawn into the body so that the plans can be made into templates, thus disposing of the need for a separate paper plan.

View attachment 446659

The shape (including the body outline and elevation contours) and measurements for these plans were derived by carefully studying 7 vintage Les Pauls. Four of these guitars no longer have their serial numbers. They are:

1. A 1953-57 conversion (original finish)

View attachment 443191

2. A refinished 1953 gold top

View attachment 443192

3. A refinished 1954

View attachment 443193

4. A refinished 1959 burst

View attachment 443194

The other three guitars studied and measured were:

5. A 1956 gold top (serial #6 2510)

View attachment 443195

6. A 1959 burst (serial #9 2044)

View attachment 443196

7. A 1959 burst (serial #9 1152)

View attachment 443197

All these guitars were surprisingly similar to each other. The conventional wisdom, which maintained that vintage Les Pauls were pretty different from each other, being hand made, did not prove to be the case. There seemed to be much more uniformity than what was expected.

We hope you enjoy these plans. As you know we are very passionate about being "vintage correct." We assure you that we have proceeded very carefully and thoroughly to create a "gold standard" set of plans.

This first set contains just the body plans. A set of neck plans will come in the future along with some plans for jigs to help you do your own build.

Print these plans at 100% without a boarder. Everything should print perfectly to actual size. Bring your measuring ins
Brilliant idea!

RibbonCurl

Reaction score
Neck and headstock drawn by @DoneOne

the original file was not to scale...the second one should be as far as I know
Hi Daniel,

May I kindly ask if there is an update/news on the progress of the neck templates? Body templates printed spot-on to scale! Thank you "Gold Standard Vintage Correct" Team!

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

May I kindly ask if there is an update/news on the progress of the neck templates? Body templates printed spot-on to scale! Thank you "Gold Standard Vintage Correct" Team!
Somewhere in this thread Scott posted a headstock/Fretboard profile, but other than that there’s just the one I posted (in the post you quoted above) with the neck profiles that was more or less a work in progress by DoneOne. It is more than adequate, and is pretty spot on (the heel side profile is a bit oversized, but the curves are correct). That may be the only drawing that ever gets made.

RibbonCurl

Reaction score
Somewhere in this thread Scott posted a headstock/Fretboard profile, but other than that there’s just the one I posted (in the post you quoted above) with the neck profiles that was more or less a work in progress by DoneOne. It is more than adequate, and is pretty spot on (the heel side profile is a bit oversized, but the curves are correct). That may be the only drawing that ever gets made.
Are you referring to the 1.5 MB file (by DoneOne) which is the second file listed at the beginning of this thread?
Thanks Dan.

RibbonCurl

Reaction score

Rubetel

Reaction score
Greetings friends, someone has a vectorized dxf version that they can share to make a template in cnc machine

Rubetel

Reaction score
Hello friends, last night I asked you for a digitized vector file for a matter of time, a friend kindly gave me his cnc to cut a body template but with a little work today and with the valuable help of some friends who handle the Corel draw well it could be done.
Here I share this body template for you to review and correct it if necessary
Greetings from Colombia
Ruben
1611973535146.png

I do not know how to upload the dwg file this page did not allow me

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, last night I asked you for a digitized vector file for a matter of time, a friend kindly gave me his cnc to cut a body template but with a little work today and with the valuable help of some friends who handle the Corel draw well it could be done.
Here I share this body template for you to review and correct it if necessary
Greetings from Colombia
Ruben
View attachment 515580
I do not know how to upload the dwg file this page did not allow me
Looks pretty good from here :thumb:

Rubetel

Reaction score
By the way Daniel
what is the diameter of the switch cavity
I understand that before it was narrower and that later to facilitate handling they made it wider
What is true in here

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre 1958 the 3-way cavity was 1.375”, but when they switched to humbuckers the cavity increased to 1.6875”

(there are some 58s where the cavity is stepped, and the top half of the cavity is 1.6875” and the bottom is still 1.375”)

Last edited:

Rubetel

Reaction score
Hi guys
I repeated the template this time more detailed using the spline tool in corel draw. I made sure that the vectorized drawing was on the line all the time and this time I sent it to be cut with a laser in 5.5 mm mdf. I only spent the equivalent of 4.3 dollars adding the mdf and the cutting service.
If anyone wants me to share the vectorized file, you can request it and I will gladly send it to your email
greetings Rubén
1613445282991.png

1613445325231.png

batleamster23

Reaction score
Hi guys
I repeated the template this time more detailed using the spline tool in corel draw. I made sure that the vectorized drawing was on the line all the time and this time I sent it to be cut with a laser in 5.5 mm mdf. I only spent the equivalent of 4.3 dollars adding the mdf and the cutting service.
If anyone wants me to share the vectorized file, you can request it and I will gladly send it to your email
greetings Rubén
View attachment 519773
View attachment 519774
Please, could you share that file with me? My email is [email protected]
Thank you so much

Kennoyce

Reaction score
Hi guys
greetings Rubén
View attachment 519773
View attachment 519774
I'd appreciate a copy of that file as well, [email protected], thanks!

Latest Threads