Luthier's Corner Plans / Templates Resource

ExNihilo

Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

This thread invites all who are willing to share their resources of where to obtain plans or templates for popular guitar builds. Also for those to inquire where one can obtain plans or templates . Thanks to you good folks who have been so generous with your time and efforts to make resources like this accessible to our community.

VERSION 2.0 NOW AVAILABLE!

Greetings Everyone!

Daniel Dean, Frank Pine, and myself, have completed the first stage of a set of vintage correct Les Paul plans for you all. This project was begun by Daniel Dean, who has been compiling information and measurements on vintage Les Pauls for years. He was the master mind, and ensured that every measurement was verified and then worked into the final plan in such a way that truly represents extreme vintage accuracy. Frank Pine, supplied a ton of measurements, images, and even video of his vintage Les Pauls. I did the easy part, I drew the plans. They are drawn in a way that reflects my own building experience. Every messurment and detail is drawn into the body so that the plans can be made into templates, thus disposing of the need for a separate paper plan.

V2 Plans.JPG

The shape (including the body outline and elevation contours) and measurements for these plans were derived by carefully studying 7 vintage Les Pauls. Four of these guitars no longer have their serial numbers. They are:

1. A 1953-57 conversion (original finish)

53-57 conversion.jpg

2. A refinished 1953 gold top

Refinished 53 GT.jpg

3. A refinished 1954

Refinished 1954.jpg

4. A refinished 1959 burst

Refinished 59 Burst.jpg

The other three guitars studied and measured were:

5. A 1956 gold top (serial #6 2510)

6 2510.jpg

6. A 1959 burst (serial #9 2044)

9 2044.jpg

7. A 1959 burst (serial #9 1152)

9 1152.jpg

All these guitars were surprisingly similar to each other. The conventional wisdom, which maintained that vintage Les Pauls were pretty different from each other, being hand made, did not prove to be the case. There seemed to be much more uniformity than what was expected.

We hope you enjoy these plans. As you know we are very passionate about being "vintage correct." We assure you that we have proceeded very carefully and thoroughly to create a "gold standard" set of plans.

This first set contains just the body plans. A set of neck plans will come in the future along with some plans for jigs to help you do your own build.

Print these plans at 100% without a boarder. Everything should print perfectly to actual size. Bring your measuring instruments to your printer to be certain.

Gold Standard Vintage Correct Les Paul Plans V-2.0

On behalf of Daniel, Frank, and myself . . . ENJOY!

Sincerely.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Mod Note*

I'd like to sticky this thread, or with Scott's permission, make it a permanent place for plans and templates.

Plans and templates for all types?

What say you, Scott?

Or should I make a plans / templates sticky thread and include this thread as a link?

It's high time we had a community resource place for plans and templates, I say.

Either way is totally great with me, but I think the title should be changed to reflect the content..

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Mod Note*

I'd like to sticky this thread, or with Scott's permission, make it a permanent place for plans and templates.

Plans and templates for all types?

What say you, Scott?

Or should I make a plans / templates sticky thread and include this thread as a link?

It's high time we had a community resource place for plans and templates, I say.

Either way is totally great with me, but I think the title should be changed to reflect the content..
Brilliant idea!

dickjonesify

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys :applause::applause::applause::applause:
I still haven’t built a full on LP and this is some motivation. I’ll download and print it up just for the work of art it is in the mean time haha.

Pablo erco

Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

This thread invites all who are willing to share their resources of where to obtain plans or templates for popular guitar builds. Also for those to inquire where one can obtain plans or templates . Thanks to you good folks who have been so generous with your time and efforts to make resources like this accessible to our community.

Greetings Everyone!

Daniel Dean, Frank Pine, and myself, have completed the first stage of a set of vintage correct Les Paul plans for you all. This project was begun by Daniel Dean, who has been compiling information and measurements on vintage Les Pauls for years. He was the master mind, and ensured that every measurement was verified and then worked into the final plan in such a way that truly represents extreme vintage accuracy. Frank Pine, supplied a ton of measurements, images, and even video of his vintage Les Pauls. I did the easy part, I drew the plans. They are drawn in a way that reflects my own building experience. Every messurment and detail is drawn into the body so that the plans can be made into templates, thus disposing of the need for a separate paper plan.

View attachment 443198

The shape (including the body outline and elevation contours) and measurements for these plans were derived by carefully studying 7 vintage Les Pauls. Four of these guitars no longer have their serial numbers. They are:

1. A 1953-57 conversion (original finish)

View attachment 443191

2. A refinished 1953 gold top

View attachment 443192

3. A refinished 1954

View attachment 443193

4. A refinished 1959 burst

View attachment 443194

The other three guitars studied and measured were:

5. A 1956 gold top (serial #6 2510)

View attachment 443195

6. A 1959 burst (serial #9 2044)

View attachment 443196

7. A 1959 burst (serial #9 1152)

View attachment 443197

All these guitars were surprisingly similar to each other. The conventional wisdom, which maintained that vintage Les Pauls were pretty different from each other, being hand made, did not prove to be the case. There seemed to be much more uniformity than what was expected.

We hope you enjoy these plans. As you know we are very passionate about being "vintage correct." We assure you that we have proceeded very carefully and thoroughly to create a "gold standard" set of plans.

This first set contains just the body plans. A set of neck plans will come in the future along with some plans for jigs to help you do your own build.

Print these plans at 100% without a boarder. Everything should print perfectly to actual size. Bring your measuring instruments to your printer to be certain.

Gold Standard Vintage Correct Les Paul Body Plans

On behalf of Daniel, Frank, and myself . . . ENJOY!

Sincerely.
Congratulations, what a great job! And thanks for this. Gonna print these asap. Greetings from Argentina.

Duane.S

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! I have built a few replicas and each one has been a bit different as I was able to obtain a bit more information from the helpful people here. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and time that you put into these plans and your generosity in sharing them.

Duane.

Sunburstman

Reaction score
Can someone please put a sideview photo of a 50's les paul, so we can see the carve from the tailpiece to the end of the guitar? thanks!!!

wk1957

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and am very curious to see how these drawings compare to drawings I put together from two Les Paul's (a 1958 and 1960) I had the opportunity to study years ago. I built my first replica back in 1985. I tried to access the link but it says the file is no longer there.

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and am very curious to see how these drawings compare to drawings I put together from two Les Paul's (a 1958 and 1960) I had the opportunity to study years ago. I built my first replica back in 1985. I tried to access the link but it says the file is no longer there.
I’d love to see yours if you can dig them up!

wk1957

Reaction score
I would be happy to. I Will be starting what may be one of my last builds in the spring and may try to post the build here. I wish that they had these forums around 35 years ago with all of this shared knowledge.

jkes01

Reaction score
Dropbox says the file isn’t there anymore. :(

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropbox says the file isn’t there anymore. :(
I think Scott took it down temporarily. We discovered a few things that needed tweaking. It will get put back up once he makes the corrections

Latest Threads