Lumpy Neck

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
40E4F9A8-4501-491D-835D-70C251394B72_4_5005_c.jpeg

DaveSG

Reaction score
Everyone is correct…that is a return. I imagine that higher ups hear of a ton of issues every day so maybe them not wanting to dig into it is more of a volume thing but as long as that doesn’t affect your return it’s all good.

moreles

Reaction score
Yikes! That unevenness is even visible! It must feel weird, and while it would be terrible anywhere, having it in the first position is a deal breaker, no question. That's very poor work. And I've got to say that any situation that gets described as "lumpy neck" calls for immediate intervention and treatment, guitars included. A guitar should feel inviting and great to handle -- not weird.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
I returned a reissue for this and they built me a new one … this was back in 2014..

That should not have passed QC
Thanks for mentioning that. I think the situation would of been a lot different if I had of been an American resident. Gibson USA did say that if I was in the US they would of been able to get me to send it in for appraisal. Although the guitar shouldn't of left the factory, mistakes happen, I can accept that. I find it very difficult to accept how Australis, the Australian distributor has handled the situation though. My dealing with Fender here in Australia have been the exact opposite.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
Reply from retailer today,

"Gibson, for better or worse, sticks to its handmade roots more so than just about every other legacy foundational guitar brand. Techniques like those used to shape a neck have remained virtually unchanged since the birth of the Les Paul back in the '50s.
Woodworking by hand in a production line setting, just like doing binding by hand in a production line setting, has its disadvantages when pitted against production lines that incorporate a lot of automated robotic processes or at the very least, much more modern machinery.
The thing about buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard is, you're not just buying a guitar...You're becoming part of the tradition they're trying to keep alive - Handmade tools for musical expression. One part of your guitar I guarantee you cannot argue against is the tone of it. Do you know why Bryan? I know why....It's because the bloody thing has a handmade soul, built on the shoulders of generations of humble and dedicated people who appreciated that so many musicians around the world respected and appreciated the voice and character within their guitars, even if perhaps they were often not technically flawless showpieces.
"After respected advice from those with a lot of skin in the game it appears this guitar should not of left the factory, passed through Australian distribution or been sold by you with such a poorly finished neck" The thing about opinions, as so many people say, is that everyone has got one and they usually stink. Try to remove yourself from the situation and view it objectively....THREE separate organisations, completely independent of each other in terms of processes and procedure, gave your guitar the tick of approval:

- An iconic guitar brand who manufactured the guitar

- The biggest major brand wholesale musical instrument distributor in the southern hemisphere

- The store owned by the guy who has physically handled more Gibson guitars than any other person working in Australian music retail today

I point this out only to highlight that I'm not saying you're imagining things that don't exist, I'm simply saying that using other guitar brands as a measuring stick or blindly following the advice of others is perhaps a little unfair and you're actually doing yourself a disservice.
I'd encourage you not to let a couple of characters behind desks cloud your judgement, nor any other outside voices regardless of their experiences and opinions...And that includes me!
The only thing I have to say about your guitar is to summarise what I've already told you, it's actually a really fucking good guitar.
If it brings you joy when you close your eyes, crank it up and start rocking out on it, then surely it's a keeper. Only you know what it makes you feel like when you play it, so only your opinion matters...Not mine, not someone from Gibson, not a chorus of lonely people on internet forums, not an adviser with 'lots of skin in the game' or anyone else. Just you mate, let the musician inside you decide."

10 points for effort I suppose.

smk506

Reaction score
Sorry, but that response is an absolute load of bullshit.

‘Handmade quirks’ would be little imperfections; imperfect binding, imperfect inlay work, maybe a wonky screw hole in the pickup rings.

You have a neck that should have failed QC. Don’t let them try to make this your problem, it shouldn’t be anyones problem except Gibsons. They might not want to do that leg work, but no way this isn’t a manufacturing defect. I’m amazed they would be ok with something like that out in the wild.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horse shit ....

Thats a crock of big stinky poo

The dealer I got mine from ....bent over backwards to satisfy my claim, first they offered a full refund , then offered "pick of the litter" (I didn't like any of them) ...picky I guess ....then they got in touch with Gibson Custom and started the ball rolling on a new build....

It was Daves Guitar Shop in Wisconsin....I check their inventory first whenever I feel a "buy" coming up just because they treated me right.....they deserve it.

And there are plenty of other dealers who would do the same.

I'll bet that guitar isn't warrantied ....its probably second hand ...sold as new....IF it is then he should have been up front about that little detail.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
I'll bet that guitar isn't warrantied ....
Funny enough, the brand manager at the distributor tried to suggest I'd voided warranty because i had mentioned a loose strap pin that wouldn't tighten. I suspect I'm going to have problems getting my money back..

ARandall

Reaction score
^ A short mention of the ombudsman tends to make the wheels turn......
Did you pay with Credit Card......get onto the bank and mention you were sent something that has a warranty/failure issue which is not being honoured and they might refund the charge.

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
This is a real shame because ok, yes return it (sooner rather than later) but your experience has been marred.

Not much you can do about it being sold on.
Hopefully if they do, the next person will also return it and they will have to send it back to be sorted out.

Hope you find one you like even more and speaks to you to turn this into a positive.

1allspub

Reaction score
Reply from retailer today,

"Gibson, for better or worse, sticks to its handmade roots more so than just about every other legacy foundational guitar brand. Techniques like those used to shape a neck have remained virtually unchanged since the birth of the Les Paul back in the '50s.
Woodworking by hand in a production line setting, just like doing binding by hand in a production line setting, has its disadvantages when pitted against production lines that incorporate a lot of automated robotic processes or at the very least, much more modern machinery.
The thing about buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard is, you're not just buying a guitar...You're becoming part of the tradition they're trying to keep alive - Handmade tools for musical expression. One part of your guitar I guarantee you cannot argue against is the tone of it. Do you know why Bryan? I know why....It's because the bloody thing has a handmade soul, built on the shoulders of generations of humble and dedicated people who appreciated that so many musicians around the world respected and appreciated the voice and character within their guitars, even if perhaps they were often not technically flawless showpieces.
"After respected advice from those with a lot of skin in the game it appears this guitar should not of left the factory, passed through Australian distribution or been sold by you with such a poorly finished neck" The thing about opinions, as so many people say, is that everyone has got one and they usually stink. Try to remove yourself from the situation and view it objectively....THREE separate organisations, completely independent of each other in terms of processes and procedure, gave your guitar the tick of approval:

- An iconic guitar brand who manufactured the guitar

- The biggest major brand wholesale musical instrument distributor in the southern hemisphere

- The store owned by the guy who has physically handled more Gibson guitars than any other person working in Australian music retail today

I point this out only to highlight that I'm not saying you're imagining things that don't exist, I'm simply saying that using other guitar brands as a measuring stick or blindly following the advice of others is perhaps a little unfair and you're actually doing yourself a disservice.
I'd encourage you not to let a couple of characters behind desks cloud your judgement, nor any other outside voices regardless of their experiences and opinions...And that includes me!
The only thing I have to say about your guitar is to summarise what I've already told you, it's actually a really fucking good guitar.
If it brings you joy when you close your eyes, crank it up and start rocking out on it, then surely it's a keeper. Only you know what it makes you feel like when you play it, so only your opinion matters...Not mine, not someone from Gibson, not a chorus of lonely people on internet forums, not an adviser with 'lots of skin in the game' or anyone else. Just you mate, let the musician inside you decide."
1660994994142.jpeg

Now shut your lyin’ pie hole and issue me a damn Return Authorization!

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
View attachment 629325
Now shut your lyin’ pie hole and issue me a damn Return Authorization!
He's not going to take it back as a warranty claim. He's prepared to refund because I'm not happy with it apparently. He's suggested that if there's any signs of use or tinkering we'll figure something out along the lines of a restock fee and refund the remaining balance. There isn't but I'm not feeling confident of getting all my money back.
It's a nice looking guitar

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_094326.jpg
    IMG_20220820_094326.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 49

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you know who to smear publicly… there is this tool called the internet… and a shitty review goes a long way in the guitar world…

He’s going to Nickel and Dime you? . He doesn’t belong in the guitar business.

He should be offering another choice. If not a refund due to some warranty issue.

Full on refund or we will crowd “one star” him…

Flash mob of shit reviews….

Now regarding the strap post …. It’s an easy fix … and not “really” a warranty item. But that’s something you can fix on your own …

Toothpick and glue. Done .. because that’s all Gibson or a repair guy would do anyway.

They will tell you … drill out. Glue in dowel (plug) and re-drill it and thread to size. And retouch finish $$$…

smk506

Reaction score
I would be on the phone with my credit card company at this point. His mention of ‘figure something out’ regarding restocking fees would be the absolute final straw before I went as far to full nuclear as I possibly could.

Please name names, no one here wants to buy a guitar from this asshole.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I would be on the phone with my credit card company at this point. His mention of ‘figure something out’ regarding restocking fees would be the absolute final straw before I went as far to full nuclear as I possibly could.

Please name names, no one here wants to buy a guitar from this asshole.
Yep, need to out this putz.

He's asking for it. Almost begging...

danzego

Reaction score
For sure, the worst deflection I’ve ever seen. Sadly, that reply looked like a pre made reply ready to go for any Gibson complaints/QC issues. Call your credit card company (if applicable) and light this guy up. Don’t ever shop with him again if possible. There has to be someone else selling Gibson guitars, right?

Latest Threads