Lumpy Neck

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
Hello all, new here.
I've just purchased a new 2021 Gibson Les Paul '50s Standard through an online retailer in Melbourne, Australia, my first Gibson and a long time coming.
I'm wanting to get some opinions on an inconsistency in the neck shaping, it feels a bit lumpy. Is this something to be expected? I have never come across this before in 40 years of playing guitars. I like the guitar but this seems a bit odd to me. I'm currently awaiting a response from the Australian distributor's tech department.

Attachments

• Bumps.jpg
    Bumps.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
... definitely not good! Hope your Gibson distributor makes it good for you.

..After the CNC, somebody most likely got sloppy with the dead-end sander.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
... definitely not good! Hope your Gibson distributor makes it good for you.

..After the CNC, somebody most likely got sloppy with the dead-end sander.
Thanks mate. I have since received a response from the Australian Brand Manager for Gibson in Australia and he failed to acknowledge that specific issue completely, fobbed me off. Bit disappointing to say the least. Don't know what to do now. Perhaps I'll just have to put up with it, it's not that noticeable when playing, but still, bugs me.

Dilver

Reaction score
Inconsistent from guitar to guitar, maybe. But lumpy? That’s just weird. Did you buy this from a retailer? I’d make it their problem…

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
Inconsistent from guitar to guitar, maybe. But lumpy? That’s just weird. Did you buy this from a retailer? I’d make it their problem…
I have raised this issue and some other concerns with the retailer, expressing priority specifically on this neck issue. They have offered for me to return the guitar with full refund if I am not happy. However, frustratingly, both the retailer, brand management in Australia and Gibson USA have refused to even acknowledge or offer an explanation for what you can clearly see in the picture they have viewed. I feel that if I return the guitar there's a fair chance this will become another unsuspecting recipient's problem, if it hasn't already previously. I'm prepared to absorb the issue, but I feel Gibson, brand management and the retailer should be too, or at least acknowledge and offer an explanation on it. I posted here in an attempt to gain an insight and understanding into the nature of the problem and its possible frequency of occurrence. This is my introduction to brand Gibson so I am personally in uncharted waters. As I said I do like the guitar and already somewhat attached to it, including some of its other minor idiosyncrasies.

danzego

Reaction score
If the neck isn’t even and has “bumps” on it, return it.

I’ve seen some issues with necks like what feels like a higher shoulder in some areas between a span of frets, such as a slightly higher shoulder between the 7th and 9th feet, resulting in a bit of an asymmetrical profile on that part of the neck. But if what I’m seeing in your picture is accurate- actual bumps because the neck wasn’t sanded smoothly, that needs to go. That’s not normal. You’re never going to unfeel it, either. That guitar has “regret” written all over it.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
If the neck isn’t even and has “bumps” on it, return it.

I’ve seen some issues with necks like what feels like a higher shoulder in some areas between a span of frets, such as a slightly higher shoulder between the 7th and 9th feet, resulting in a bit of an asymmetrical profile on that part of the neck. But if what I’m seeing in your picture is accurate- actual bumps because the neck wasn’t sanded smoothly, that needs to go. That’s not normal. You’re never going to unfeel it, either. That guitar has “regret” written all over it.
Thanks mate, I appreciate that advice. I think I will, trying to sort it now.

AJK1

Reaction score
When I worked at Musos Corner they would return/replace/refund no questions asked even if it was obvious that the reason wasn’t genuine or they had buyers remorse
We had a May the fourth be with you sale each year and any guitars like that would be marked as having a fault etc and sold for big discounts

Last edited:

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
What I found most confounding, I also mentioned in the email to the Gibson Brand Manager that upon receipt of the guitar the end strap button was loose and that it wouldn't tighten. His response "We are happy to investigate the strap button issue however your comments indicate you have attempted to address this which may void the warranty."

lats667

Reaction score
My impression is that Gibson still has a way to go with QC. Both in the USA factory and the custom shop. That's a return.

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
My impression is that Gibson still has a way to go with QC. Both in the USA factory and the custom shop. That's a return.
Certainly looks that way which is a pity really. This one was born 4 June 2021. I'm worried for Mesa Boogie which have a lot more to lose than Gibson as far as their brand reputation goes.

AJK1

Reaction score
What I found most confounding, I also mentioned in the email to the Gibson Brand Manager that upon receipt of the guitar the end strap button was loose and that it wouldn't tighten. His response "We are happy to investigate the strap button issue however your comments indicate you have attempted to address this which may void the warranty."
Have you been dealing with Australis ?

Gibbus collum

Reaction score
Have you been dealing with Australis ?
I tried to yes, I sent Gibson USA an email about it all and they told me the dealer where I purchased the instrument would be able to provide me with the Australia distributor's contact information. I emailed the retailer echoing what Gibson had said but got sick of waiting so I tracked them down myself.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a new feature for you Aussies..... "speed bumps"....... slow those radical attempts to wear those cowboy chord frets out..................:rofl:

That's a return amigo..... that is even affecting the binding..... whoever sanded that neck had a stroke and didn't feel those bumps....i hope he's alright.

Latest Threads