Lukather '59 burst circa 1978 or 1979; and two other bursts, one '58, one '59

xarkon

Reaction score
In other posts, I see that Steve Lukather mentions that his '59 came from a store in Phoenix. I worked there from '78 to '79 while going to college, and took a number of photos of the guitars we had in the store, including three different bursts.

These aren't great pics - first SLR, stock 50mm lens, still learning about photography and how to use light. Would love to have the chance to do it over again, of course. Anyway, I have posted scans of the pics in this thread. These are low-res scans, but the back of headstock shot does display the S/N 9 0494 on the back. Unfortunately, for the other two bursts, I did not have the presence of mind to record the S/Ns, so those will be a guessing game...maybe someone will be able to identify them from the tops.

I'll add the scans of the other two in subsequent posts to this thread.

59burst3.jpg

59burst1.jpg

59burst4.jpg

59burst6.jpg

59burst5.jpg

59burst2.jpg

58burst3.jpg

xarkon

Reaction score
Here is the '58 burst. Don't know the S/N. Honestly, I remember this guitar as being a bit of a dog compared to the '59 above, and the notes I have indicate it was priced about 25% lower. Of course, if I had known what would happen to pricing, I would have scraped together every penny and bought all three!

58Burst1.jpg

58Burst2.jpg

xarkon

Reaction score
Here is the other '59. Don't know S/N. This one has some intense flame.

2nd59burst1-1.png

2nd59burst2.jpg

2nd59burst3.jpg

59burst7.jpg

kdm

Reaction score
what was the asking price for those guitars in that time....!?

bryvincent

Reaction score
In other posts, I see that Steve Lukather mentions that his '59 came from a store in Phoenix. I worked there from '78 to '79 while going to college, and took a number of photos of the guitars we had in the store, including three different bursts.

These aren't great pics - first SLR, stock 50mm lens, still learning about photography and how to use light. Would love to have the chance to do it over again, of course. Anyway, I have posted scans of the pics in this thread. These are low-res scans, but the back of headstock shot does display the S/N 9 0494 on the back. Unfortunately, for the other two bursts, I did not have the presence of mind to record the S/Ns, so those will be a guessing game...maybe someone will be able to identify them from the tops.

I'll add the scans of the other two in subsequent posts to this thread.

59burst7.jpg

[/IMG]
i think the 6th pic is of a different guitar. probably the darkburst 59 with the zebras. note the tuners; 9 0494 has schallers.
i think the actual back pic of 9 0494 is on the '58 burst post. note the strap buttons

thanks for posting the pics. the "Rosanna Burst"(9 0494) is my favorite burst of all time. if you watched the youtube video(not there anymore) of Lukather with Japanese guitarist Char, the tone of the guitar is so alive.

FUS44

Reaction score
Now that is a great series of posts to get started!.
Welcome!

xarkon

Reaction score
i think the 6th pic is of a different guitar. probably the darkburst 59 with the zebras. note the tuners; 9 0494 has schallers

thanks for posting the pics. the "Rosanna Burst"(9 0494) is my favorite burst of all time. if you watched the youtube video(not there anymore) of Lukather with Japanese guitarist Char, the tone of the guitar is so alive.

You are correct - I will fix the original post. Missed that when trying to match up the photos, which had only cryptic notes.

Before the '59 was sold (I think I had graduated and left the store), the owner was using it occasionally in his band, but not on gigs. I can tell you - through a 100w Marshall and 2 4x12 cabs, it sounded awesome.

bryvincent

Reaction score
You are correct - I will fix the original post. Missed that when trying to match up the photos, which had only cryptic notes.

Before the '59 was sold (I think I had graduated and left the store), the owner was using it occasionally in his band, but not on gigs. I can tell you - through a 100w Marshall and 2 4x12 cabs, it sounded awesome.

the back pic of 9 0494 is actually on the 1958 burst post. note the strap buttons.

xarkon

Reaction score
what was the asking price for those guitars in that time....!?

Sitting down?

Have tissues to wipe your eyes? :)

My notes as of taking the pics: $3500 for the '58, $4500 for the Lukather model, $5000 for the darkburst '59.

Prices were already on the rise. I think I have seen Lukather say variously that he paid 4 or 5k. The guitar was sold after I graduated college and left the store, so I don't know for sure.

As it was, I recall having a conversation with the owner a couple years later regarding a 1960 that apparently showed up at the store in like new condition with all the original tags still in the case. It apparently sold within days for about 40 or 50k.

xarkon

Reaction score
the back pic of 9 0494 is actually on the 1958 burst post. note the strap buttons.

You are correct and that has been fixed. Casualty of me having multiple back shots with only "'58" or "'59" written on the back and matching them incorrectly while scanning.

Red Baron

Reaction score
the "Rosanna Burst"(9 0494) is my favorite burst of all time. if you watched the youtube video(not there anymore) of Lukather with Japanese guitarist Char, the tone of the guitar is so alive.

+1 ...it had a 'sizzle' that was very unique.

zorglub!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the new pics of 9 0494. If you don't mind I have tried to correct them a little bit.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the name of the store and the store owner. I was just wondering why you didn't mention either one? I've had conversations with the store owner about how he sold the burst to Luke. :D

xarkon

Reaction score
I know the name of the store and the store owner. I was just wondering why you didn't mention either one? I've had conversations with the store owner about how he sold the burst to Luke. :D

Focus was on the pictures, not the shop. I still talk to him every year or two. You work there? :)

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've played Luke's Burst. It kills.

My version of correction...

LukeBurst.jpg

xarkon

Reaction score
Thanks for the enhancements. Know that these are scans of silk-finished 3 1/2 by 5 prints. I do have the negs and a negative holder for my flatbed, but doing that level of scanning work just would consume a bunch of time I don't have. Also - it's been 30 years - honestly, the chemistry in probably both the negs and the prints has gone south by now...

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Focus was on the pictures, not the shop. I still talk to him every year or two. You work there? :)

No, but I've spent 28K at his store over the last 23 years. You must have worked there when it was on Indian School Rd. I went in there once or twice back in the late seventies to look around, I didn't have much money back then.

xarkon

Reaction score
No, but I've spent 28K at his store over the last 23 years. You must have worked there when it was on Indian School Rd. I went in there once or twice back in the late seventies to look around, I didn't have much money back then.

Yep, Indian School. It IS a toy store, isn't it? :D

Latest Threads