LS80 needs refret. How big of a deal are nibs?

Nibs and resale value

• Nibs are very important

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Nibs are somewhat important

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Nibs aren't very important

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Nibs don't matter at all

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

archey

Reaction score
When getting a full refret is it important to keep the nibs to maintain resale value?

Roxy13

Reaction score
If it has the small vintage nibs that are beveled along with the fret ends it might be even more difficult to try to keep them.

I'd always rather have a good playing guitar myself and don't worry about nibs but there are people who won't buy a guitar without them. I've removed my nibs on all my guitars that needed a refret.

Uncle Vinnie

Amity, as you know, means friendship
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Estimates I've gotten on refrets with nibs bumped up the price about $350. Ain't cheap.

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditch the nibs. If you're worried about the resale because of not being able to very the model number just take pictures now.

Honestly once you refret and replace all the wiring and hardware on an old Tokai the only thing that starts to matter is finish, flame, and weight.

Deftone

Reaction score
When I re-fret my '79 LPC, the nibs are history.

zeneffect

Reaction score
guess it depends on how nice that top is on the 80. I have considered the same and found pricing for refret + plek + keep the nibs to be in the $700 range. certainly not cheap at all, but is it worth it? dont know... i just put that guitar in the case and got another one because it was more economical to replace the entire guitar.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I have a 79 LS-50 that was a dog turd when I first bought it(bought off Ebay). The frets were so low I couldn't get under the strings to do any kind of bend. I had a Luthier instal Dunlop stainless steel frets a bone nut and setup. I then later on went and had Jonesy make me a 50's wiring harness, bought a set of Fat Boy Dry Z clones from Harold Wulf bought a Faber bridge and tail piece. I accidentally knocked the guitar over and it suffered a minor headstock crack, so I had a different Luthier "repair" that which he did a piss poor job on.... I have around $1500 in upgrades and repair costs in it. Not including the original purchase price of the guitar.

So to me an LS 80 is definitely worth installing new frets with or without the nibs

Last edited:

Squints17

Reaction score
If you’re worried about resale and a refret just sell it before the refret. If it’s going to be kept, the nibs don’t really matter.

archey

Reaction score
If you’re worried about resale and a refret just sell it before the refret. If it’s going to be kept, the nibs don’t really matter.
Do any of us really plan on selling? It just seems to happen eventually to fund the next thing.

Last edited:

Latest Threads