LPC Norlin Finish Identifier

[email protected]

Reaction score
View media item 104095Hey all, long time listener, first time caller. I have a 1977 LPC and I’m trying to figure out what finishes were available and what exactly I have? I’m inclined to think it’s a Tobacco Sunburst but those seem to have black around the edges as it fades into a brown and mine looks light brown. Any help would be appreciated.
View media item 104094

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Also the "middle" looks a little dark.
Usually the "middle" remains almost clear.
Any chance that guitar was refinished?

I found one that resembles it, a 1976:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's got it's own video:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks for taking a look. Nah little chance that it was refinished. The serial number decal on back of headstock remains intact and lots of natural wear on back of guitar. The burst colors on back and back of neck look like any other factory finish I can find. Lots of natural aging and finish cracks. I’m very sure this is original. It has just been played for 41 years.

[email protected]

Reaction score
It is tobacco burst....you find varying shades and shapes.
Thank you Troubadour, that's what I figured.

I was mulling over the decision to refinish it as a Silverburst but I've been reading all these responses to not touch the older guitars and it will significantly drop the value. After a fret dressing, leveling, and polishing...a new custom cut nut and a set-up adjusting it plays better than any guitar I've owned with great sustain. I may just revert the hardware to gold (tuners, bridge, tailpiece) and call it a day.

Any input on this? Just curious the current value vs the refin value (my guy does great refinishing and could do the job right at about $400-550). It seems I would be losing quite a bit by refinishing though.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You will never get a silver burst finish to look like you think it should, don’t do it.

If you wanted to put the gold hardware on it, that is absolutely fine, but in the spirit of the silver burst, the hardware looks great with the chrome.

I like Customs with chrome for a change sometimes......

If it plays better that any guitar you have owned with great sustain....why mess with it.

Go play the hell out of it.

Congratulations.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Personally I would leave it like that and play it.
If you really want to refinish it, I would suggest another color/tone
than Silverburst. Maybe it's just me but their value in general is not a high as more traditional finishes.

bblooz

Reaction score
Well, a refinished guitar is usually worth 20-30% less than an otherwise original piece with the same specs. Factor in the cost of the refin, and you're typically looking at roughly half the value of the original (unless you hang on to it for a long, long time)! Enjoy it as is, IMHO. The only ones I get refinished are items that are otherwise damaged or have already been refinished by a previous owner (thus bought cheaply be me - LOL)

Progrocker111

Reaction score
This finish isnt so rare, was kinda common since 1974. Its like a mix between tobacco, honeyburst or bourbonburst or whatever... :)

wildstage98

Reaction score
yep, i agree with the others here, looks like tobacco burst. i have seen a few like that over the years and would leave it be imo.

zamdrang

Reaction score
If it were mine i'd leave it alone and play it, its cool and it is what it is.. a 77 custom. No point in trying to make it something it's not. My worthless two cents.

Latest Threads