LPC 74 RI in Aspen White undergoes an RR Makeover

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Posted this in the Norlin section but putting it here as well since it is a Reissue :)
So, tonight I finally got the final piece on the guitar to complete another Randy Rhoads makeover :cool2: The guitar is a Les Paul Custom 74 Reissue in Aspen White. For those who are not aware of it, these are 74 RI's that are pretty much identical to the Randy Rhoads sig model except without the brass parts and RR serial number. They even have the same 74 reissue pickups in them. Anyway, I think all cream white LPC's need to be converted to RR models :D So, I obtained the brass parts from the supplier who made them for Gibson's sig run, replaced the truss rod cover with a blank one, added the Schaller strap locks, replaced the witchhats with gold speed knobs, added pointers under the knobs and, the final part tonight was getting the pickguard engraved with RANDY RHOADS then filling that in with gold paint. It is now a Rhoads clone! The only thing not changed is that I left the Grover tuners on it. I do have a set of original Schaller tuners that could go on it to complete the transformation but I elected not to drill the back of the headstock for Schallers and left the Grovers on. Now my original 74 LPC which previously underwent a similar makeover can stay at home. The 74 RI will be played out live. Here it is before and after.

Before:
DSC_8929.jpg

DSC_8932.jpg

DSC_8946.jpg

DSC_8944.jpg

DSC_8958.jpg

DSC_8960.jpg

...and lets not forget the volute!
DSC_8906.jpg

The paint was just applied today to the engraved pickguard.
DSC_9314.jpg

Here it is after the RR Makeover:
DSC_9337.jpg

DSC_9341.jpg

DSC_9346.jpg

DSC_9351.jpg

DSC_9372.jpg

DSC_9412.jpg

DSC_9417.jpg

Rudy

LesAdrian

Reaction score
Beautiful:thumb:
I respect your opinion, but why you make another RR makeover if you already have 2 RR makeovers.Which is the point?

guitarmandp

Reaction score
I like the guitar better before the "makeover". I own an aged RR and If I couldn't have an aged RR I would just get the 74RI

LesAdrian

Reaction score
Yeah, i like the guitar better before the makeover too, because looks more original and vintage.:)

iamjoe

Reaction score
Love it! You should post a picture of it next to the real deal.

roodyrocker

Reaction score
The reason I did another RR makeover is that some guitars are more collectible than others. Now the original 74 as well as the RR sig VOS do not have to do the bar scene gig, that's the job of the 74 RI :)
And yes, if I had another cream white 74 whether original or RI, I'd do another RR Makeover on that! Like I said before, all cream white LPCs should be dressed in RR appointments :D all the RR stuff aside, these 70's RI's are just plain fantastic guitars!
Anyway, this one's first live gig will be coming up in early June :cool:

Rudy

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
You did a good job, but I liked it as it was (minus the witch hat knobs, black bell knobs or top hats would be better)

Latest Threads