LP3+ in bridge pickup cavity of '01 LP Std.

Matt_B

Reaction score
I received a new (to me) 2001 LP Standard today so I'm giving it the once over while I change the strings, polish the frets and oil the fingerboard. I popped the pickups out to check what was written inside the cavities and found the usual markings in the neck pickup route (HS for Heritage Cherry Sunburst) but I was hoping someone could tell me what the "LP3+" in the bridge pickup route means. I searched this site and didn't find any info on that particular marking.

Matt_B

Reaction score
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

ben-stein.jpg

Mr. Snappy

Reaction score
You don't mention if it has good flame but the + should indicate it as being a "plus" top. That became standard in '02.

Matt_B

Reaction score
You don't mention if it has good flame but the + should indicate it as being a "plus" top. That became standard in '02.
;) I didn't give out any details about the guitar intentionally, just in case.

That said, it does have a very nice flamey top, somewhere between a plus and premium plus grade. I'm still stumped about the "3" though. I know it could be an "S" but if so, it would be the worst "S" I've ever seen.

Mr. Snappy

Reaction score
I'll try to do some research on the 3. I'm curious about it, also.

Matt_B

Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to do that. ;)

I'm waiting to post pics until after I decide what to do with the pickups. It has the stock covered 490R/498T pickups which are still in the probationary period for me though I will probably end up replacing them with a set of zebra Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs (I've got a set in my Classic and I really like them). I imagine I'll have some pics of it in the next 2-3 weeks. I've got (3) guitars I need to take pics of, including this LP, and I need to take the ubiquitous couch pic soon too.

Matt_B

Reaction score
that could be "LPSt" not "LP3+"
I agree that is possible but I stared long and hard and the marking and it definitely looks like "LP3+". I'll get a pic when I can and as I said, it does have a pretty crazy top on it so the "+" meaning "Plus" isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Latest Threads