LP wiring diagram : 50s wiring + coil split using SPST

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Hi, just removed the PCB in my LP 2016T and replaced it with CTS 550k and new capacitors.

I bought 2 x CTS SPST pots (same that are on the board) and would like to wire it 50s while keeping the coil split function.

Anyone has a diagram having 50s + coils split using 2x SPST volume pots ?

I looked at SD, YouTube and every place I could think without finding one wiring diagram that does both

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Actually, I did the SD one and moved the capacitor like on the 50s diagram but I only get a hum, no sound at all

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Looks like that (green & black inverted out of the switch to the output jack)

05.jpg

Took this diagram and changed the capacitor position to match 50s diagram

SD-2H_3G_2VppSPL_2T.jpg

I guess I'll desolder the capacitors and see if I have sound

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
From that picture I can't really see what's going on with the switch to jack cables, but something's weird there. Why do you say they're inverted? I mean, they look like they are, but why?

A couple pics with better quality and possibly different angles to check what is soldered well would also help. There's too much shine from the foil which makes it hard to see in detail, try to use a different light maybe.

Still, you could clean up the job a little bit. A do-over in these situations is usually more time efficient than trying to find which point is poorly soldered. I know I've been there more than I'd like to admit.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Actually, I did the SD one and moved the capacitor like on the 50s diagram but I only get a hum, no sound at all
Did you move the capacitor and add the black wire in its place? I don't see the black wire in your picture.

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Why do you say they're inverted? I mean, they look like they are, but why?
Still, you could clean up the job a little bit. A do-over in these situations is usually more time efficient than trying to find which point is poorly soldered. I know I've been there more than I'd like to admit.

For whatever reason, the wire going out the switch to the hot is green. The tip on the jack is black and the ground on the jack is green, I assume it's a Gibson thing related to the PCB.

All solders are correct, issue is with the circuit somewhere. Picture is higher res (1280), the site downgraded the resolution strangely

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
Even though I can't open the higher res attachment, those arrows do help a lot, and it seems like I actually understood it right the first time, minus the unnecessary green/black reversing on the jack part.

You swapped the colors correctly from the SD schematic, it is indeed 50's wiring, the coil tap is alright... so unless something else is fishy (and not visible from the pic, evidently), I'm puzzled on this one. Unless something is touching the shielding... I have no clue.

My suggestion would be the same as is if you were dealing with a muddy/squashed mix: set all faders to zero and start over. De-solder the whole thing, walk on your own steps with a clearer perspective of the job (you probably have the whole thing memorized by now) and you'll get it right this time.

Other than that, it looks right to me (again, i couldn't open the high res pic). The only thing that always leaves me hanging is if you should revert polarities (red/black) on the neck pickup. I know I've found that issue on Gibson's pickups before and it was a pain in the ass to figure out.

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I will check it again tomorrow. I've done over 10 rewiring in the last years but they were either 50s or coil split. It's the first time I try to do both at the same time, thus the reason I wonder if moving the cap could be the issue since I solder the most of it on a jig oustide the cavity and I have no sound from any switch position.

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
Found it...

I had a junction between the black from the switch to the ring wire of the jack and I shrink wrapped it instead of soldering it to the ground.... just looked at it and said to myself... why are there 2 shrink wrapped wires :0

Must be the blinding effect of the foil :)

Everything is good now !! Thanks all

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
That's great news! I'm really glad it turned out well. Let us know should anything else come up.

By the way, how do you like the results so far?

Snowboy1234

Reaction score
I like it better now, the lower value caps give me more fine tuning on the tone as I never want to go too low.

I play mostly hard rock and it was getting really muddy with the stock caps + the modern wiring of the board when I was going from 10 to 8 on the tone. If I was touching the volume, it was worst.

I did not use the single coils yet apart for testing if they worked (they are), new band and to many songs to learn at the moment to experiment but will do in the near future

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
Well, what matters is it works. It sucks to have a great guitar and not being able to get the best out of it.

I often do a bunch of mods on mine as well, but I rarely use all the switching options after. They're there if I need them, but there's too much playing to do to be fumbling with options all the time anyways.

Latest Threads