LP Traditional 2018 Pickup's

mark_knopfler

Reaction score
i have a Les Paul Traditional 2018, non-weight relieved body , i like it a lot,
i thoth about installing a new pickups to get this sweet PAF 58-59 sound,
i have now the stock pickups, BurstBucker 1 and BurstBucker 2 and they are sound very good, but still somthing is missing,

i am thinking about the the MojoTone 59' Clone Humbucker Pickup's set ,
anyone tried this pickups on a traditional ?

do you think is it an upgrade or not for getting close to the PAF sound ?
i have a good deal for them - 170$ aged nickel set

what do you think guys?

thanks

Hecubus

Reaction score
Those are great pickups and will sound good in your guitar. The "PAF sound" varies widely and is somewhat subjective. However, the pickups you are considering will fall within that variation.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have the exact model from 2018. I like the Burstbucker 1 & 2 and I recently took to “dialing in” the neck and bridge individual pole pieces for clarity and volume balance. Once I figured those out, I re-tweak the pickup heights and I can say that I made a good sounding pickup even better sounding. In the 3 years of owning this Traditional, I never considered finding a better sounding set, because “better” is subjective. I trust Gibson to design and install Les Paul pickups that are versatile for several genres of music and that the majority of players are content with what comes stock, on the guitar. If the player has a certain sound in mind that cannot be obtained with the stock pups, then the search may begin to find that sound.

Classicplayer

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
do you think is it an upgrade or not for getting close to the PAF sound ?

Neither the modern Gibsons nor the Mojotone are really accurate to the construction techniques or materials to original PAFs.

Though PAFs certainly varied in sound, they were not random and all had some common qualities, including a great deal of clarity and character, regardless of warmth or fatness. Not a combination of qualities found in much modern gear.

Most modern gear (of all sorts, not just humbuckers) forces a player to choose between either being bright and clear, but thin and weak OR full and fat, but dark and congested.

Original PAFs, in good condition and in the right guitar/rig, have that extremely rare "both at once" mostly found only in great vintage audio gear.

bluefrog

Reaction score
I swapped the BB1/2 for a set of SD 59 from the 80ties in my Traditional-18
I like the SD59 very much - has more texture and bite.

Latest Threads