LP Toggle switch hook up wire

Mr French

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a 4 conductor hookup wire for Les paul / Les paul style guitars?
https://www.amazon.com/ROSENICE-4-C...19&sprefix=hookup+wire+guitar,aps,123&sr=8-13

Had someone over today for a rewire job and he brought his prewire harness alone with a long 3 way toggle for his imported LP. His guitar needed a short shaft switch "Guitar is not built for long shaft" and I had one but he insisted on using the long shaft. Anyways I wired it up using Gavitt Single-Conductor Braided Shield Cable and I was struggling to put the jack in as the routing channel for the cable is too close to the top of the guitar body.

Wonder if this 4 wire hookup cable is any good and could come in handy for gigs like this.

Overall I managed to fit the cables with the long shaft and my fingers are hurting.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll work just fine.
Double up the shield with the ground conductor just to have a place to land it.
Work quickly... I always end up melting plastic insulation... cloth is very forgiving ;)

Roxy13

Reaction score
Gibson uses it as well as several other manufacturers. I've used it when wiring channels were too tight for 3 strands of braided shield and the pickup leads as well. I remember an Agile that had an especially shallow route for the wires and it was actually put into the maple cap instead of the mahogany back and I had to use it on that one.

I had to use it one of my pre CNC Aria's as well as there was no good way to get into the hole to the switch cavity to enlarge it and it was such a tiny hole from there to the pickup cavity.

Roxy13

Reaction score
As for long switches in import guitars, usually they fit as far as the length goes. I've had at least one though that the opening into the maple cap was thicker than usual so that even with the deep nut I couldn't grab the threads on the switch lol. I went in with my Dremel and a large grinding bit that was flat on the top and shaved some of the wood out to correct that.

Mr French

Reaction score
As for long switches in import guitars, usually they fit as far as the length goes. I've had at least one though that the opening into the maple cap was thicker than usual so that even with the deep nut I couldn't grab the threads on the switch lol. I went in with my Dremel and a large grinding bit that was flat on the top and shaved some of the wood out to correct that.
He had the knurled deep nut and it was needed as no threads made out the cap. Had to open the poker chip with the dremel and good thing I have that tool as it comes in handy for the small things.

Mr French

Reaction score
It'll work just fine.
Double up the shield with the ground conductor just to have a place to land it.
Work quickly... I always end up melting plastic insulation... cloth is very forgiving ;)
Thank you. It sure could of came in handy for todays job. Yikes my hands are hurting just trying to maneuver the cables around even with the use of picks.

Roxy13

Reaction score
He had the knurled deep nut and it was needed as no threads made out the cap. Had to open the poker chip with the dremel and good thing I have that tool as it comes in handy for the small things.
Yeah, the hole needs to be a half inch. I usually just use the tapered reamer to do it as it only needs a small amount and it takes like 10 seconds.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It may interest you to know that shielded 4 conductor USB 2.0 spec cable is absolutely perfect for guitar wiring. I have a big reel of it (thousand feet or more) and it's just the thing any time I'm working with pickups with extra wiring options, and I take this cable apart and use the individual conductors for internal wiring. Except in the case of the 3 position toggle switch, where I used shielded single conductor cable, Gibson style.

The color code of the USB cable is red, black, white, green, shield. Very typical for guitar usage.

And this cable is cheap. WAY cheaper than the overpriced "guitar wiring cable" sold by some of the usual luthier's supply outlets.

mistermikev

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a 4 conductor hookup wire for Les paul / Les paul style guitars?
https://www.amazon.com/ROSENICE-4-Conductor-Shielded-Guitar-Circuit/dp/B077QP9PZH/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1G1PI5VSZDMOD&keywords=hookup+wire+guitar&qid=1652655819&sprefix=hookup+wire+guitar,aps,123&sr=8-13

Had someone over today for a rewire job and he brought his prewire harness alone with a long 3 way toggle for his imported LP. His guitar needed a short shaft switch "Guitar is not built for long shaft" and I had one but he insisted on using the long shaft. Anyways I wired it up using Gavitt Single-Conductor Braided Shield Cable and I was struggling to put the jack in as the routing channel for the cable is too close to the top of the guitar body.

Wonder if this 4 wire hookup cable is any good and could come in handy for gigs like this.

Overall I managed to fit the cables with the long shaft and my fingers are hurting.
literally just used it. if it's good 'nuff fer pickups it 's good 'nuff fer passing the pickup signal to the 3-way. I'd watch out for some of the cheaper cable on evilbay as the actual foil shield in there along with the bare ground wire that it makes contact with are pretty important... and some (maybe not all) of the cheap version don't have either. Since you can't really paint or get copper foil in that run from cavity to 3-way it's important to used shielded cable.

Mr French

Reaction score
literally just used it. if it's good 'nuff fer pickups it 's good 'nuff fer passing the pickup signal to the 3-way. I'd watch out for some of the cheaper cable on evilbay as the actual foil shield in there along with the bare ground wire that it makes contact with are pretty important... and some (maybe not all) of the cheap version don't have either. Since you can't really paint or get copper foil in that run from cavity to 3-way it's important to used shielded cable.
Thoughts about this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/264129221368

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Just realized, that is exact;y what Gibson uses on the Original series

60-50.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Time to get this in the tool box. I purchased the bare PVC tubing months back before I started to offer services.
Even my R4 has that.
Main value IMHO is to prevent the jack tip from grounding out on the braided shield. Everything in the control cavity can be routed clear of any contacts.

R4-Guts.jpg

Mr French

Reaction score
looks like good wire to me - has shield/foil and has bare ground, 24awg is fairly flexible so... I'd say "thumbs up".
Just purchased. The amazon item has a longer delivery time frame and at this time I like to have something now so that I am ready for these odd ball jobs.

mistermikev

Reaction score
Just purchased. The amazon item has a longer delivery time frame and at this time I like to have something now so that I am ready for these odd ball jobs.
always good to have some 4 conductor lying around.

Latest Threads