LP studio...yrs using flame maple top

tamias89

Reaction score
Hi guys, newb here! I'm a fender man who wants to dive into the gibson lp pool,lol. I'm looking at studios, but they seem to have a mix btwn the solid mohagony and ones with a flamed maple top. Would you know the years that gibson used the maple tops? A freind bought a wine colored one and assumed it had the maple. I'd like to be sure before I buy. (Does the year matter or do they just distinquish the two types by calling one vintage mohagony and one 'worn'?). Oh yeah, sweet forum!
Jay

kspeed

Reaction score
Gibson's made Studios since the early 80's. A regular ol' Studio will have a mahogany back and maple top - usually plain maple, not flamed, though there were some special models (paging Jonesy!). The Vintage Mahogany model has a mahogany top and thin, satin finish and has been made for the last several years but is now called "Worn" - they are the same guitar.

If you don't know anything else about the two models it's easy to see the difference - the VM top has a very tight, thin grain that matches the body where a regular Studio top has pronounced, wide grain that in no way matches the body.

axepilot

Reaction score
The Studio Plus models have flame tops. This one is a 2001:

LesPaulStudioPlus.jpg

tamias89

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I can clearly see the difference, wow great pics! I would even give in to something that doesn't look like a les paul, but sounds like one..."Iike a Guild M-80 (good luck on finding one of those, lol)
Jay

scozz

Reaction score
Killer finish! :thumb:

What pickups are in it?

Thanks axe, I've got Dimarzios DP103 in the neck and DP223 in the bridge. They're his 36th anniversary 59 PAFs, (vintage output). Very responsive and articulate pickups.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2n4dUVf_Q]YouTube - Larry DiMarzio's 36th Anniversary PAF[/ame]

scozz

Reaction score
I have a Studio Premium Plus also. Awesome guitar. :dude:

HPIM0193.jpg

Gorgeous top Sven! :applause:

Where did you get yours, were you able to see it and play it before the purchase? The reason I ask is that I've seen some not so good tops on these natural PP.

Funny story how I got mine. My wife and I took a road trip around Florida, (we live in Port Orange Fl) in Sept. 2006, the week of my 50th birthday. We hit all of the GCs and other guitar shops looking for a new LP for me. From Winter Park to Miami, to Tampa, and all spots in between. I was looking for a nice Standard and I was having a hard time finding the right one. Finally in the GC in Tampa I'm playing three different Standards and I see one of the salespeople putting out this beautiful Premium Plus top Studio. I ask the manager, who I was dealing with, about it, I had never seen this model Studio before. He said it's just a regulat Studio with a AAA top and that it just came in, in fact no one had even played it yet. I thought it was a beautiful guitar and decided what the hell, let me give it a go. I played it unplugged first as I always do when I'm considering buying, and it was incredible! It was loud and resonate and sounded sooooo much better than ALL of the other LPs I played that week, and then I plugged in and that was all I needed!!!!! SOLD

I got a great new LP, (my 3rd) and saved some green too! Sorry about being a little long winded here.

100_2444.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
Also for a few years Studios were offered with a Premium Plus top.

My 2006 Premium Plus

100_2436.jpg

Those are flat top guitars, right? Any way you can measure the thickness of that top?

scozz

Reaction score
Those are flat top guitars, right? Any way you can measure the thickness of that top?

:shock:

um,,,,,,,,,,,no,,,,,,,regular size/thickness carved maple top like any other LP.

You can see the thickness better in this pic.

100_2440.jpg

Sven

Reaction score
Gorgeous top Sven! :applause:

Where did you get yours, were you able to see it and play it before the purchase? The reason I ask is that I've seen some not so good tops on these natural PP.
I'm almost ashamed to say I got it at GC, but I did. I'd seen one there a few months earlier, but it was sold. I just happened by one day, and it had just come in. I picked it up, it's light-under 7 pounds, and played it. I liked it right away, and after years of searching for a Les Paul that wasn't crap, I had finally found one. I bought it right then and there.

Rodierick

Reaction score
I have a 2008 les paul studio that has a flamed top in a red velvet look but the flame is noticeably less dramatic then some others. Mine has nickel hardware and pickups with the normal studio knobs not the top hats and the chrome hardware. I think someone may have swapped the gold hardware. Its also got a locking nuetrix 1/4 jack for output. Will post more pics.

Curious if anyone can help decipher if its a premium plus since gibson themselves were less then helpful when i sent them serial numbers

budg

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I can clearly see the difference, wow great pics! I would even give in to something that doesn't look like a les paul, but sounds like one..."Iike a Guild M-80 (good luck on finding one of those, lol)
Jay
You might want to look at a midtown custom.Its a flat top with F holes and gets some decent Les Paul type tones.Kind of a cross between a LP and a Semi Hollow.

wallym

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a flame top Studio recently and the only Studios that I have come across with any decent flame all seem to be chambered.

Is this right, or have I just been unlucky so far?

Are the Premium Plus Studios chambered?

Latest Threads