LP Studio Limited Color series? Budget LP custom alternative?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update! A white LP studio from 2005 just popped up too. What year did they stop using ebony boards in the white studios? I know some of the early 2000 models had them. Any way to know for sure it’s ebony versus a darker rosewood?
I’m pretty sure a 2005 will have an ebony fretboard..... alpine white was standard to have ebony to about 2011 or 2012 when the wood debacle occurred.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Saturday I bought a 2007 alpine white Studio with an ebony fretboard. Don't ask what price...I almost stole it :) That doesn't guarantee your 2005 is ebony...but it likely is. You should be able to tell be seeing it.
That’s reassuring! I feel pretty good it’s ebony in that case. Will def make the trip out to see it.
I’m pretty sure a 2005 will have an ebony fretboard..... alpine white was standard to have ebony to about 2011 or 2012 when the wood debacle occurred.
Good to know! The seller isn’t sure so I wanted to check with you guys. I’ll make the drive out. Hopefully it’ll be available and not sold.

endial

Reaction score
Maaaaaan, if that's an Alpine White with ebony board like what @joe_cpwe got last week, you may not want/need a Custom after playing it for a bit and it's in good shape.

Good luck!

AJK1

Reaction score
Were I in your shoes, I would hold on, and keep working towards a Custom.

As nice as these studios are, they are not a Les Paul Custom. If it were me and it's not the guitar I really want, I know I would never be really satisfied. I'd probably end up hating/resenting the guitar because it's not what I really wanted and now I'm even further away from getting what I truly want to play because my money is tied up in this guitar I didn't really want. Every time I picked up I'd be thinking about how it's nice and all, but not a custom.

I wouldn't sell myself short and comprise on my dream guitar just so I can get something right now.
Yep I agree
I just got a Custom and it was well worth the wait
I’ve lost way too much money on guitars that were stop gaps towards what I really wanted
Just save for a Custom
They are FREAKIN’ AWESOME !!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Maaaaaan, if that's an Alpine White with ebony board like what @joe_cpwe got last week, you may not want/need a Custom after playing it for a bit and it's in good shape.

Good luck!
That’s my hope! I’ve heard even on their own these studios are awesome guitars.

Yep I agree
I just got a Custom and it was well worth the wait
I’ve lost way too much money on guitars that were stop gaps towards what I really wanted
Just save for a Custom
They are FREAKIN’ AWESOME !!
Your white custom is gorgeous! Just out of curiosity, what about it really made it worth the wait? I’d be willing to wait and save if it’ll be worthwhile.

I believe the white LP studio I found has the traditional 9 hole weight relief, 498T/R pickups and ebony board. Other than the slightly thinner body seen on studios and the aesthetic difference, I figured it should sound and feel just like a custom…but does the custom sound, or feel even better? Would there be other noticeable differences beyond the aesthetics?

The studio I found is listed for $850, which seems like a great price.
I’m hoping I could easily get that money back if I sell it and upgrade to a custom later.

Last edited:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
That’s my hope! I’ve heard even on their own these studios are awesome guitars.

Your white custom is gorgeous! Just out of curiosity, what about it was worth the wait? I’d be willing to wait and save if it’ll be worthwhile.

The white LP studio I found has the traditional 9 hole weight relief, 498T/R pickups and ebony board. Other than the slightly thinner body seen on studios and the aesthetic difference, I figured it should sound and feel just like a custom. But does the custom sound, or feel even better? I know coming from custom shop it’ll have better build quality.
The studio I found is listed for $850, which seems like a great price.
I’m hoping I can easily get that money back if I sell it and upgrade to a custom later.
I think at $850 you're right. If you want to move it when getting a Custom you won't lose money.

I've played that new-to-me '07 white Studio every day since Saturday, and at a band rehearsal, and it plays great, has great tone and stays in tune. Will take the spot of a Hamer I'd been using at gigs.

I had cash, saving up for a Standard, and committed not to spend until I accumulated enough gig money to pay for a Standard. I came across the Studio cheap (paint issue) and had to buy it. Now, it's such a good guitar. I'll likely keep it and just need to save more again for the Standard. I wasn't looking for or really wanting a white LP. but I'm damn impressed with it as an instrument.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha that’s not a bad idea, could put it toward my LP custom. :thumb:
I seem go back and forth on selling it or using it as a modding platform. It was a gift from my parents when I was a teenager. It was my first proper nice guitar. Had it as my main guitar for 7 years so that little nostalgic bit of me has kept me from selling it all these years. But I hate leaving a guitar in the case, it needs to be played either by me or someone else. It def needs some work though, switch is faulty, fretboard needs some cleaning, and a pickup upgrade to bring out its potential.
Keep it, I regret selling off my early guitars.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update! A white LP studio from 2005 just popped up too. What year did they stop using ebony boards in the white studios? I know some of the early 2000 models had them. Any way to know for sure it’s ebony versus a darker rosewood?
2012 they stopped.

Here is my 93' LP studio.... It's in amazing condition and plays great. Good luck finding one that isn't beat up or messed with.... they are out there but you will pay dearly for one. I wouldn't sell this one for less then $2000 with OHSC.

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I think at $850 you're right. If you want to move it when getting a Custom you won't lose money.

I've played that new-to-me '07 white Studio every day since Saturday, and at a band rehearsal, and it plays great, has great tone and stays in tune. Will take the spot of a Hamer I'd been using at gigs.

I had cash, saving up for a Standard, and committed not to spend until I accumulated enough gig money to pay for a Standard. I came across the Studio cheap (paint issue) and had to buy it. Now, it's such a good guitar. I'll likely keep it and just need to save more again for the Standard. I wasn't looking for or really wanting a white LP. but I'm damn impressed with it as an instrument.
Glad to hear yours is serving you well! I’ve heard so many good things about these older white studios but never got to play one since they don’t pop up often. I’m very excited to try it, planning to go this weekend since it’s an hour away. Really hope it doesn’t get sold in that time, I told the seller to let me know if anyone reaches out to buy and I’ll get to it sooner.
Exactly the same boat! I was planning to save and get an LP Custom hopefully sometime next year but I feel like I’d be silly to pass up a guitar at a really good deal which this seems to be if it’s got the ebony board and is in good condition. We might have to save for a bit longer to get the standard and custom but with a guitar as nice as these studios, I’d certainly be in no rush. :cool:

2012 they stopped.

Here is my 93' LP studio.... It's in amazing condition and plays great. Good luck finding one that isn't beat up or messed with.... they are out there but you will pay dearly for one. I wouldn't sell this one for less then $2000 with OHSC.

Man that is a stunning guitar! I love the gold hardware. The one I found has silver, but the gold looks so much better.

True on the condition, most of the listings I see seem to be player grade and have clear signs of wear. Yours looks almost new in the photos. Hopefully the one I found is in good condition, seemed okay in the photos but hard to say without seeing it in person up close.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Glad to hear yours is serving you well! I’ve heard so many good things about these older white studios but never got to play one since they don’t pop up often. I’m very excited to try it, planning to go this weekend since it’s an hour away. Really hope it doesn’t get sold in that time, I told the seller to let me know if anyone reaches out to buy and I’ll get to it sooner.
Exactly the same boat! I was planning to save and get an LP Custom hopefully sometime next year but I feel like I’d be silly to pass up a guitar at a really good deal which this seems to be if it’s got the ebony board and is in good condition. We might have to save for a bit longer to get the standard and custom but with a guitar as nice as these studios, I’d certainly be in no rush. :cool:

Man that is a stunning guitar! I love the gold hardware. The one I found has silver, but the gold looks so much better.

True on the condition, most of the listings I see seem to be player grade and have clear signs of wear. Yours looks almost new in the photos. Hopefully the one I found is in good condition, seemed okay in the photos but hard to say without seeing it in person up close.
Mine has the gold hardware too, although far from immaculate like @MP4-22 has. Mine was sprayed with brighter white (than the original fading finish) on the front, behind saddle. Not stark, but noticeable. That flaw resulted in a quite a discounted price.
Looking forward to hearing how you like the one you're checking out.

20210605_141716_sm.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Mine has the gold hardware too, although far from immaculate like @MP4-22 has. Mine was sprayed with brighter white (than the original fading finish) on the front, behind saddle. Not stark, but noticeable. That flaw resulted in a quite a discounted price.
Looking forward to hearing how you like the one you're checking out.

View attachment 542924
Still a beauty! I’m excited to see what you decide to do with the paint. I saw the thread where they were suggesting a cool decal and you mentioned possibly refinishing it. Either way, you’ll be able to make it more personalized.
Same, I’ve never played one of these older studio models. I actually really like the 498T/490R pickups a lot.

lwchafin

Reaction score
Pull the trigger at $850 if it's in decent shape and plays well and sounds good. By the time you have enough money to get a Custom, you'll forget you ever paid $850 for the Studio. That's the floor for used ones at GC, so your investment is safe. I bought a Studio Deluxe about 5 years ago, got it new for a grand on a MF Stupid Deal of the Day, flamed top honey burst and it is a gorgeous guitar, played beautifully and sounds great - if you like the 490/498 pickups. And really, don't get rid of the Epi - sounds like it's solid, and if you're like me, somewhere down the road you'll be trying to kick yourself in the head for getting rid of it. I got rid of my first - a 1968 Silvertone (Harmony) single-cut that was a LP Tuxedo copy - and have regretted it ever since.
1623421168880.png

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Pull the trigger at $850 if it's in decent shape and plays well and sounds good. By the time you have enough money to get a Custom, you'll forget you ever paid $850 for the Studio. That's the floor for used ones at GC, so your investment is safe. I bought a Studio Deluxe about 5 years ago, got it new for a grand on a MF Stupid Deal of the Day, flamed top honey burst and it is a gorgeous guitar, played beautifully and sounds great - if you like the 490/498 pickups. And really, don't get rid of the Epi - sounds like it's solid, and if you're like me, somewhere down the road you'll be trying to kick yourself in the head for getting rid of it. I got rid of my first - a 1968 Silvertone (Harmony) single-cut that was a LP Tuxedo copy - and have regretted it ever since.
View attachment 543180
That’s reassuring to know the price is good. As long as I can make sure I’m not losing money a guitar, I’m happy to take a chance on it.

Wow! That is one of the nicest tops I’ve seen on any model of LP. Great score, especially at that price. It has even more flame than many of the current standards I see.
I do like the 498T/490R a lot, actually preferred them to all the various burstbuckers I’ve tried.

Yeah that’s definitely me as well. I tend to get sentimental with things I own. I feel bad selling any of my guitars. But that Epiphone having the sentimental value it does, I’m sure I’d miss it a lot and regret letting that one go. Will save it for a fun mod project when I’ve got some time and money to spend on it.
I thought about it for a while since it came up. If I decide to sell any guitar, it’s prob gonna be my American standard tele. Great guitar but I could easily replace it anytime if I miss it and I definitely prefer Gibson scale. The tele has barely been used since getting my standard 60’s.

lwchafin

Reaction score
That’s reassuring to know the price is good. As long as I can make sure I’m not losing money a guitar, I’m happy to take a chance on it.

Wow! That is one of the nicest tops I’ve seen on any model of LP. Great score, especially at that price. It has even more flame than many of the current standards I see.
I do like the 498T/490R a lot, actually preferred them to all the various burstbuckers I’ve tried.

Yeah that’s definitely me as well. I tend to get sentimental with things I own. I feel bad selling any of my guitars. But that Epiphone having the sentimental value it does, I’m sure I’d miss it a lot and regret letting that one go. Will save it for a fun mod project when I’ve got some time and money to spend on it.
I thought about it for a while since it came up. If I decide to sell any guitar, it’s prob gonna be my American standard tele. Great guitar but I could easily replace it anytime if I miss it and I definitely prefer Gibson scale. The tele has barely been used since getting my standard 60’s.
Even at Ebay the cheapest US Gibsons on Buy it Now prices start at $850, and depending on age and color, go up from there to over 3 grand. Be interested to see what yo do and what it looks like.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Even at Ebay the cheapest US Gibsons on Buy it Now prices start at $850, and depending on age and color, go up from there to over 3 grand. Be interested to see what yo do and what it looks like.
I’ll keep you guys posted and update as soon as I see it (and hopefully bring it home). Planning to drive out Sunday when I have some time off since it’s an hour away. Told the seller to let me know if anyone reaches out to buy sooner so I don’t miss it.

DBDM

Reaction score
2 potential scenarios here that I would recommend.

1--is if you have a guitar that you can possibly live with now, keep playing the one you have till you can afford the one you REALLY want. If you are like me, you will likely never be totally happy till you have what you actually want. I have posted several times about all the guys who say, "I could never afford a $3-4k Gibson so instead I got 6 guitars that cost $1000 each." Don't be that guy!

2--if you do not have a guitar you can live with, get the studio with an eye on trading it for a custom when you save the money. I doubt you will lose too much in future trade value on a sub $1k Studio (maybe a few hundred). If you remotely take care of it, you can likely get your money back (or more). My experience is that most stores typically KILL you on purchases but are much more favorable on trades. In Tennessee (where I live), you do not pay tax on the trade in amount when putting that toward a new purchase. So you functionally get to subtract that from the total cost.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
2 potential scenarios here that I would recommend.

1--is if you have a guitar that you can possibly live with now, keep playing the one you have till you can afford the one you REALLY want. If you are like me, you will likely never be totally happy till you have what you actually want. I have posted several times about all the guys who say, "I could never afford a $3-4k Gibson so instead I got 6 guitars that cost $1000 each." Don't be that guy!

2--if you do not have a guitar you can live with, get the studio with an eye on trading it for a custom when you save the money. I doubt you will lose too much in future trade value on a sub $1k Studio (maybe a few hundred). If you remotely take care of it, you can likely get your money back (or more). My experience is that most stores typically KILL you on purchases but are much more favorable on trades. In Tennessee (where I live), you do not pay tax on the trade in amount when putting that toward a new purchase. So you functionally get to subtract that from the total cost.
Good perspective, I’ll def keep both points in mind. I guess I’m in between.

I do have a guitar I’m more than happy with. I actually have several that I would consider keepers. So I’m in no rush. I actually wasn’t planning on getting a new guitar.

The reason these two caught my interest was the prices. Both the ebony board studios that popped up looked like good deals and both are out of production and hard to find under $1k.

I’ve found, when I usually go for option 2 and save and wait. Once I’m finally ready to buy my dream guitar, I’m a bit more impatient and have a hard time waiting even longer for good deals to pop up. I usually just get impatient and end up buying the guitar at a higher cost and lose money down the line when I want of upgrade or trade.

On the other hand, I’ve missed a lot of good deals and good guitars because I wasn’t looking for that at the time and sometimes regretted it in hindsight when I did want it later.

BUT, I am limited in funds AND space. And I got an amazing standard 60’s that I love. So I certainly wouldn’t be upset skipping on this studio as I have an LP I’m very happy with. I just really wanted an LP with the custom specs as I like that sound as well. My standard doesn’t have that sound, it does what it does very well but it’s different for sure.

Last edited:

Latest Threads