LP Studio Limited Color series? Budget LP custom alternative?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Can’t seem to find much info. online on these. But a used one popped up at a pawn shop locally for $950 in dark red. Was curious to know about it and if it might be worth driving to check it out. This is an old listing I found.

I’ve been wanting an LP custom but am a long way from being able to buy one. So I’ve been looking into studios with the ebony board and 498T/490R pickups for better value or more budget brands.

This one has an ebony board with no inlays, and uncovered 498T/490R. Cool 2 tone color scheme, top is red but the rest of the guitar is black. I think these were made 2002-2004 ish. I heard these ebony board studios are going up in price, so if I can talk the shop down to $850, wondering it if might be worth getting. If it would be easy enough to resell for that price, I’d take a chance on it knowing I can sell it without a big loss.
It’s this dark red color.

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I would say that any Studio in good shape is a deal at 850, let alone with the ebony board.

Mine has the same black back color scheme but rosewood board and still ran just over a thousand.

It's not a Studio Limited like this but a Studio Deluxe which was also a limited run. I love it! it's my main workhorse for live playing.

I would say go for it!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I would say that any Studio in good shape is a deal at 850, let alone with the ebony board.

Mine has the same black back color scheme but rosewood board and still ran just over a thousand.

It's not a Studio Limited like this but a Studio Deluxe which was also a limited run. I love it! it's my main workhorse for live playing.

I would say go for it!
Wow! What a gorgeous shade of blue. That’s a beautiful and unique Les Paul.

Thanks for the perspective, glad to know the price is fair for what it is. I hope I never need or want to sell a guitar when buying, but it’s reassuring to know when I’m getting a solid deal in case I ever need to move the guitar in the future and don’t need to worry about taking a hit on the cost.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Can’t seem to find much info. online on these. But a used one popped up at a pawn shop locally for $950 in dark red. Was curious to know about it and if it might be worth driving to check it out. This is an old listing I found.

I’ve been wanting an LP custom but am a long way from being able to buy one. So I’ve been looking into studios with the ebony board and 498T/490R pickups for better value or more budget brands.

This one has an ebony board with no inlays, and uncovered 498T/490R. Cool 2 tone color scheme, top is red but the rest of the guitar is black. I think these were made 2002-2004 ish. I heard these ebony board studios are going up in price, so if I can talk the shop down to $850, wondering it if might be worth getting. If it would be easy enough to resell for that price, I’d take a chance on it knowing I can sell it without a big loss.
It’s this dark red color.
Since it's local just go and spend time with it.
How it feels in your hands is the most important thing.
Let us know what happens!
:thumb:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think i might start collecting some of these rare spin offs, an all mahogany studio sounds like a great guitar to have in any collection.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Wow! What a gorgeous shade of blue. That’s a beautiful and unique Les Paul.

Thanks for the perspective, glad to know the price is fair for what it is. I hope I never need or want to sell a guitar when buying, but it’s reassuring to know when I’m getting a solid deal in case I ever need to move the guitar in the future and don’t need to worry about taking a hit on the cost.
Thank you! :cheers:

It was also used but a 'closet queen' when I bought it.

Supposedly its 'Caribbean Midnight Blue' in Gibby speak :laugh2:
Darker blue rim with a nice rippled grain. What sold me were the Burstbuckers being un potted in this.
This is how it came originally..

My 82 has unpotted Shaws so I was already a fanboi! :dude:

Yeah, I agree with the guys above... go handle it, play it see how it feels and sounds because even at 950, that's fair.

Not a steal, but not a bath either.

Especially if you really like it! :jam:

GT40

Reaction score
Were I in your shoes, I would hold on, and keep working towards a Custom.

As nice as these studios are, they are not a Les Paul Custom. If it were me and it's not the guitar I really want, I know I would never be really satisfied. I'd probably end up hating/resenting the guitar because it's not what I really wanted and now I'm even further away from getting what I truly want to play because my money is tied up in this guitar I didn't really want. Every time I picked up I'd be thinking about how it's nice and all, but not a custom.

I wouldn't sell myself short and comprise on my dream guitar just so I can get something right now.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Since it's local just go and spend time with it.
How it feels in your hands is the most important thing.
Let us know what happens!
:thumb:
Thanks! Will def update if I end up going. Hopefully I’ll get some time this afternoon. Really curious to see and play it in person.

Darker blue rim with a nice rippled grain. What sold me were the Burstbuckers being un potted in this.

Yeah, I agree with the guys above... go handle it, play it see how it feels and sounds because even at 950, that's fair.

It’s funny how detailed some of the Gibson color names get. I like to think there’s just a room full of employees who’s job is to find creative long winded names for their colors.

Didn’t know that about the pickups. That’s cool. Will have to try some unpotted ones out. I love the zebra pickups. Almost got an LP classic just for that. I liked that this studio had the uncovered 498T/490R which I haven’t seen before.

Now that I know the price is fair, I think I’m gonna check it out. No harm in taking a look.

As nice as these studios are, they are not a Les Paul Custom. If it were me and it's not the guitar I really want, I know I would never be really satisfied. I'd probably end up hating/resenting the guitar because it's not what I really wanted and now I'm even further away from getting what I truly want to play because my money is tied up in this guitar I didn't really want. Every time I picked up I'd be thinking about how it's nice and all, but not a custom.

I wouldn't sell myself short and comprise on my dream guitar just so I can get something right now.
That’s a good thought, I’m def gonna keep it in mind. I had that experience with my epiphone. I liked it a lot, but it always felt like I settled and I still had my eyes on the Gibson. Eventually I ended up getting the Gibson and that epiphone is now sitting in a case. In hindsight, I def would have been better off getting the gutiar I wanted from the start even if I needed to wait.

I definitely won’t buy this studio if I’m not genuinely blown away or happy with it. If I can get a really good deal, I could have the option to resell it when I decide to go for the custom in the future.
I’m also tempted by it since it’s a rare and unique studio I might not find again. Hopefully I can try it out in person today and I should know pretty quick once it’s in my hands if it’s really gonna be worth it or if I’ll wait.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Thanks! Will def update if I end up going. Hopefully I’ll get some time this afternoon. Really curious to see and play it in person.

It’s funny how detailed some of the Gibson color names get. I like to think there’s just a room full of employees who’s job is to find creative long winded names for their colors.

Didn’t know that about the pickups. That’s cool. Will have to try some unpotted ones out. I love the zebra pickups. Almost got an LP classic just for that. I liked that this studio had the uncovered 498T/490R which I haven’t seen before.

Now that I know the price is fair, I think I’m gonna check it out. No harm in taking a look.

That’s a good thought, I’m def gonna keep it in mind. I had that experience with my epiphone. I liked it a lot, but it always felt like I settled and I still had my eyes on the Gibson. Eventually I ended up getting the Gibson and that epiphone is now sitting in a case. In hindsight, I def would have been better off getting the gutiar I wanted from the start even if I needed to wait.

I definitely won’t buy this studio if I’m not genuinely blown away or happy with it. If I can get a really good deal, I could have the option to resell it when I decide to go for the custom in the future.
I’m also tempted by it since it’s a rare and unique studio I might not find again. Hopefully I can try it out in person today and I should know pretty quick once it’s in my hands if it’s really gonna be worth it or if I’ll wait.
Maybe that Epiphone needs to go now.
It has filled its task. On to someone else.
Money towards a Gibson eventually.
?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Maybe that Epiphone needs to go now.
It has filled its task. On to someone else.
Money towards a Gibson eventually.
?
Haha that’s not a bad idea, could put it toward my LP custom. :thumb:
I seem go back and forth on selling it or using it as a modding platform. It was a gift from my parents when I was a teenager. It was my first proper nice guitar. Had it as my main guitar for 7 years so that little nostalgic bit of me has kept me from selling it all these years. But I hate leaving a guitar in the case, it needs to be played either by me or someone else. It def needs some work though, switch is faulty, fretboard needs some cleaning, and a pickup upgrade to bring out its potential.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Haha that’s not a bad idea, could put it toward my LP custom. :thumb:
I seem go back and forth on selling it or using it as a modding platform. It was a gift from my parents when I was a teenager. It was my first proper nice guitar. Had it as my main guitar for 7 years so that little nostalgic bit of me has kept me from selling it all these years. But I hate leaving a guitar in the case, it needs to be played either by me or someone else. It def needs some work though, switch is faulty, fretboard needs some cleaning, and a pickup upgrade to bring out its potential.
The fact that it's your first guitar makes it a little more tricky to sell.
I'm a nostalgic at heart!
I would like to still have my first piece of shit guitar.
The $30 I got for it at the time seems pretty lame now!
:rofl:

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm OK with my eight Gibsons that aren't a Les Paul Custom. I wouldn't mind having another Custom (I'm too old to bother with something like that now), but a Studio is easier to move, and the one the OP is considering will pretty much sound just like a Custom.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Ugh was about to drive out but getting thunder storm warnings and bad weather. It’s a bit of a long drive. Will have to push back the visit to my next day off this weekend. :( I hope it doesn’t get sold in that time. Was reality excited.

The fact that it's your first guitar makes it a little more tricky to sell.
I'm a nostalgic at heart!
I would like to still have my first piece of shit guitar.
The $30 I got for it at the time seems pretty lame now!
:rofl:
Exactly! I could prob get like $300-400 for it best case scenario. But I’m not sure if it’s worth it in the grand scheme for a guitar that has sentimental value. We never miss the money, that comes and goes lol. But we always miss the guitars.

I'm OK with my eight Gibsons that aren't a Les Paul Custom. I wouldn't mind having another Custom (I'm too old to bother with something like that now), but a Studio is easier to move, and the one the OP is considering will pretty much sound just like a Custom.
That’s my hope. I feel like this is as close as I can get to the sounds and feel of one without dropping 3 grand. As long as I can be confident in being able to move it if necessary, I think it’s worth a try.

redcoats1976

Reaction score

that is beautiful...

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Update! A white LP studio from 2005 just popped up too. What year did they stop using ebony boards in the white studios? I know some of the early 2000 models had them. Any way to know for sure it’s ebony versus a darker rosewood?

Last edited:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Update! A white LP studio from 2005 just popped up too. What year did they stop using ebony boards in the white studios? I know some of the early 2000 models had them. Any way to know for sure it’s ebony versus a darker rosewood?
Saturday I bought a 2007 alpine white Studio with an ebony fretboard. Don't ask what price...I almost stole it :) That doesn't guarantee your 2005 is ebony...but it likely is. You should be able to tell be seeing it.

Latest Threads