LP Studio education please.

tygr1

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I've never had a Gibson LP. I think it's time I try one.

I'm looking at a 2013 Ebony Les Paul Studio. What should I look for? It has 57 pups in it, which have to be better than my Epi pups. It also has a Min-E-Tune or some darn thing auto tuning system. Can this be replaced with conventional tuners or locking tuners maybe, or has the headstock been drilled for the auto tuner setup?

I'm not into fancy cosmetics. Just a clean, shiny guitar does it for me. Is the Studio a good representation of the Gibson name and quality?

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Reaction score
Others will be along shortly, but the quick answers are yes on the Studio being a great guitar for the money.

Les Paul sound with less bling.

Many here have changed out the auto tune and gone on to lead fairly normal lives, so I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Welcome back!!!

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I love my studio....it absolutely holds up to every model...

Like with every les paul, it does require a set up but once dialed it, it’s every bit the guitar of any I own...

And if you want it to be blinged out, studios hold their own against any if ur talking craftsmanship imho

Here’s mine(2016 with 490/57+/498)

-Chris

tygr1

Premium Member
Reaction score
Others will be along shortly, but the quick answers are yes on the Studio being a great guitar for the money.

Les Paul sound with less bling.

Many here have changed out the auto tune and gone on to lead fairly normal lives, so I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Welcome back!!!
Is that auto tune system an option on some Studios from that era?

DarrellV

Reaction score
I love my studio....it absolutely holds up to every model...

Like with every les paul, it does require a set up but once dialed it, it’s every bit the guitar of any I own...

And if you want it to be blinged out, studios hold their own against any if ur talking craftsmanship imho

Here’s mine(2016 with 490/57+/498)

-Chris
Dammit man! You gotta warn us before you whip that out!!:wow:

Shades!! My eyes!!!!! :run:

DarrellV

Reaction score
Is that auto tune system an option on some Studios from that era?
Pretty sure they were standard issue on most all of the models.

Henry J seems to have had a love affair with them and thought they would be the wave of the future..

But it didn't work out that way.... A lot, if not most folks have swapped them out for standard tuners.

At least that's what I understand from being here at MLP....

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I have the gen 2 g-force system and it’s awesome...

Didn’t own a min-e-tune gen 1 but the 2nd generation on mine is fantastic...and has ability for way more than I need

-Chris

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sure, you can replace the Min E Tune with Grovers or Hipshot tuners. Pretty common mod.

You might want to try them first though. I am enjoying the next gen G Force on my SG. I'm going to use it until it breaks. It's kind of handy changing your tunings in seconds.

judson

Reaction score
dont pay over $1k

lots out there under

i prefer the early 90's with ebony fret board....got 2 of em

post the one your lookin at if you like.....studios are sleepers

here is one of em

IMG_20180906_133007837_HDR.jpg

and the other

IMG_20180609_174426256.jpg

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
the '13 should have coil splits, so you can make those '57s a little more versatile. I personally despise those pickups, so I won't comment if they'll be better than what you have, but they'll be more "sellable." It'll also have a slim taper neck.

It really just depends what you want, plenty of studios out there to fits anyone's needs, just depends on the specs.

AlvisX

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Im a real fan of 90's gloss finished USA production guitars . I think the Studios from that era are an outrageous bargain
Not a fan of gold hardware ...unless it's on a LP Custom . I de-blinged my 97 DC (I love a wraparound)

scozz

Reaction score
Les Paul Studios are some of the finest LPs out there. It seems that everyone that owns a Studio loves it,.....more so than most other LP models!

I’ve heard/seen/read all kinds of complaints about every LP model there is,...but it seems the Studio by far has the fewest!!

My 06 Premium Plus Studio,....

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Les Paul Studios are some of the finest LPs out there. It seems that everyone that owns a Studio loves it,.....more so that most other LP models!

I’ve heard/seen/read all kinds of complaints about every LP model there is,...but it seems the Studio by far has the fewest!!

So awesome...

Show me the gold one too plz

-Chris

judson

Reaction score
Les Paul Studios are some of the finest LPs out there. It seems that everyone that owns a Studio loves it,.....more so that most other LP models!

so true about studios...and i have stopped checking them on reverb, eBay and such because they are all screaming deals and i cant pass up a deal!!!....would end up with a dozen of them for the price of one R9 maybe....great guitars without a doubt

i have set my limit at two and i just dont look anymore to stop studio GAS

im gonna strip the wine/gold one and just spray the top black and leave the rest natural wood...and put all the gold back on ...i think with the black it will look good

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score