LP Std Plustop pickup swap Probucker vs Tonerider vs ?? More clarity...

Presence

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm seriously looking to change out these Probuckers in my Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro already for something with a little more clarity and bite in the bass especially. I do like this guitar and kept it because it's not overly bright and I don't have to tame any shrill or icepickyness in it but, it is maybe too dark and not clear (dare I say...muddy...like I said, mostly the bass strings, I like the trebles) I'm not using the tone knobs at all, they're on full blast. I have played with adjusting the neck pickup many ways and now have it adjusted low with pole pieces sticking up to try to get more clarity.

So, I'd like a clearer pickup set, not too bright, but I would like to be able to use the tone knobs and volume as needed. I'd like to retain and perhaps enhance the thickness and density in the treble, which I like.

I'll get it totally rewired too. It's a circuit board 2012 Indonesian Epi and the tech that just put the treble bleed in said he'd recommend totally rewiring it sans circuit board if I decide to have more work on it. I don't know if I want to spend several hundred bucks right now so I'm looking at the Tonerider pickups for around $100 or less for a set. That plus the rewire and I'm looking at $200+ probably anyway??

Are the Toneriders going to be an upgrade in clarity, or a lateral move to the Probuckers? Also, which Toneriders? I'm thinking Rocksongs??
Tonerider

Has anyone replaced their Probuckers with Toneriders and can give me a direct experience recommendation either way? Any other ideas??

I'm playing Classic Rock. 60's, 70's. Bad Company, Free, Zep, Cream, etc...

Thanks!

Presence

Reaction score
Also, here's another pic of this beautiful honeyburst flametop. I'm debating whether to go with open coil zebras or stay with nickel silver covers? :hmm:

Attachments

• New Epi LP pic.jpg
    New Epi LP pic.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 80

rem22

Reaction score
Hi, if I had to swap pups and do a rewiring I'd prefer put seymour duncans, they make very good pups at reasonable prices.
I don't know how they compare to your pickups but Gibson has also a very good set of pups : Classic 57/57+. I love them.

56GT

Reaction score
I would go for quality
Seymour duncan jazz and jb set

Presence

Reaction score
After more trial and comparison, I'm finding it feels and sounds muddy or less clear mainly in the middle position because for some reason there is a slight drop in volume in mid position. This gives me less cut. I would think that combining the fullness of the neck with the cut of the bridge would be the ideal position but for some reason it dulls the bridge pickup. Even when lowering the volume a bit on the neck pickup to try to blend them.

Why is that?

So, the Probuckers really aren't bad (the tech did mention that the pickups sound good) I'm just comparing to a brighter guitar too. Maybe I'll play and get used to it awhile more or get the rewire first before changing the pickups? I do like the fullness and warmth of this guitar.

Will a rewire give the Probuckers that much more clarity and bite that I'll notice a difference? Even with the volume and tone pots all the way up?

Presence

Reaction score
Sorry, just talking out loud to me own thread here documenting what I've done.

I've adjusted the neck pickup even more and I am getting a bit better clarity in the bass. I've lowered neck bass side pickup a little more and have the pole pieces sticking up pretty far now accordingly. I had to wipe off even more excess wax as I raised them. But it has made a difference - seems to have woken them up a bit and seems more effortless to get some cut and definition in the bass.

The middle position still seems to have less power and dulls both pickups like turning down the tone knob slightly which I don't like. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Sorry, just talking out loud to me own thread here documenting what I've done.

The middle position still seems to have less power and dulls both pickups like turning down the tone knob slightly which I don't like. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks!

I've noticed the same phenomenon to varying degrees on all 3 of my LP's.:hmm:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I would go for quality
Seymour duncan jazz and jb set
I am pulling a JB/Jazz set out of my LP Ultra II and, ironically, dropping in a set of Probuckers I just bought off of eBay. The Ultra is a very bright guitar, so for me, the Duncans were not working.

OP, i will be selling the Duncans if you are interested. here's what they look like on my Ultra II...

DSCN0119.JPG

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd swap the wiring/caps first, and then see if you still want to swap out the pickups.

keith longstaff

Reaction score
Agree with Malikon and J-Dizzle's posts about changing the wiring, pots and caps first it makes a massive difference. I know I've done it. You may find out you actually like your pickups I didn't personally but they were 16yr old epiphone alnico classics but it did help.

I fitted Seymour Duncan Slash signature alnico 2 pro.

Presence

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I'm leaning toward going all in and trying the JB/Jazz set and new wiring all at once. I can always have the tech put the Probuckers back in if I don't like the Duncan's. If I do decide on a pickup change and modern wiring, should I go with 500k pots with the JB/Jazz set?

Rocco Crocco, I'm going to pm you about those pickups, thanks! I'm actually not far from you in NEPA. :)

truckermde

Reaction score
Yes, you should be using the 500k or matched 550k set of pots. Do yourself a favor and get a matched set of CTS 550k pots from one of our vendors on the forum (you will be reaming out the holes in the guitar just a tad). They have drop-in harnesses, too. It really is worth it...

Presence

Reaction score
Thanks again truckermde et all.

I'll probably be inquiring more about wiring and pickups just to learn and get as much recommendations as possible. I really do appreciate all the knowledge and help here. I have been kind of "Jonesing" for a Jonesy 50 wiring harness but may just upgrade the Pots 500/550k and caps with modern wiring and see what these Probuckers really sound like.

FYI I've been searching, reading and learning A LOT already about wiring/pickups here on MLP. Thanks!

Presence

Reaction score
Hello again, it's me and my indecisive self. I just want to update this thread to let everyone know Rocco's Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups are still available. I've decided to wait a few more weeks at least on buying new pickups.

I've been doing more research tonight and my head is still spinning...I've still got to decide on wiring etc....So, I PMed Rocco to let him know sooner rather than later so he doesn't lose any prospective buyers. Sorry Rocco!!! And thanks!!

I've edited my previous post so there is no confusion...I hope.

Latest Threads