LP Standard Refin in Custom Color

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
I must have a thing for "Slash" LP's, since this is the second one I've done. I've always loved his first signature LP... a 1990 in a custom red/orange with yellow binding and back hardware. There were only 4 made, and I wanted one. So I took my 2005 Standard, which has a 60's neck and an unimpressive burst finish, and went to town.

The result looks killer! The red color has the slighted orange hue to it and a nice contrast with the black back. I dyed the binding in order to get the yellow and I decided to paint the original chrome hardware black. There was a thread somewhere inquiring about black hardware. I did a custom truss rod cover, and still have to add Slash's skull and crossbones (I'll probably draw it on, or maybe make a waterslide). Again, I happened to have an extra set of Slash SD Alnico 2's.

I love the way it turned out and I wanted to share.

This is the guitar I wanted to replicate. I still have the page I pulled out of Guitar World in 1990 haha!

full

This pic shows the guitar in different light. They must have used some filers on that other pic.

full

My 2005 LP Standard

full

full

Started with a little bit of amber

full

Then I mixed the red color

full

For the black hardware, i roughed up the original chrome with low grit sandpaper and then steel wool. I sprayed a light primer (don't think I really needed to) and then some black enamel.

full

full

And here it is!

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Razzle

Reaction score
Hey that thing turned out great! Let me know if you ever do a purple one!!

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
Wasn't complete without the artwork on the truss rod cover:slash:

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

GBLEV

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same guitar, or how the pic was taken, but I have also seen him with this amber colored one and a brighter orange one. They both have the same black hardware, and cream colored truss rod cover with the skull and bones:

Slash's Guitar.jpg

L.A.M.F.

Reaction score
That's awesome.

As a finishing touch, you need black TonePros Kluson tuners.

L.A.M.F.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same guitar, or how the pic was taken, but I have also seen him with this amber colored one and a brighter orange one. They both have the same black hardware, and cream colored truss rod cover with the skull and bones:

View attachment 169714

Gibson custom-built 4 guitars with the black hardware for Slash: 2 in red and 2 in amber. Slash only kept one of the ambers.

The other amber was modded and auctioned on eBay years ago.

GBLEV

Reaction score
Gibson custom-built 4 guitars with the black hardware for Slash: 2 in red and 2 in amber. Slash only kept one of the ambers.

The other amber was modded and auctioned on eBay years ago.

I thought there was a couple of different colors. That's funny you say that about eBay, because I do remember seeing it on there and if I remember correctly, the seller was trying to get something like $40,000 for it.

GBLEV

Reaction score
By the way Mr.Beef, you did a very nice job on this guitar. I forgot to mention that earlier. I enjoy reading your refinishing threads. They are always inspiring and full of good info.

Latest Threads