LP Standard Negative Comments

judson

Reaction score
funny i was looking at Standards last night on ebay and Reverb and since i like to buy Studios and clean them up to my liking or a Deluxe i was going to ask what is the difference between :

Studio
Standard
Deluxe
Classic
Traditional
Pro
Custom (sort of got this one fingered out)
other gibson models.....????:dunno:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Anytime I only hear one side of a story I can't help but want to hear the other side just to keep things in perspective. I have a real hard time taking sides if I don't. That being said...

Why would you even care? If there's one thing you've earned at 70 it's the god given right to not give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

Here's my parody of the other side, don't get offended cuz it's just for laughs...

New group of beginner guitar players get together for the first time. They're all playing beginner guitars and then another total beginner shows up with a brand new Gibson LP Standard lefty that he's already swapped the pickups on.

To be fair what they might be noticing is a little "cart before the horse" and just poking a little fun at you. Here's why...

In most cases left handed beginners are encouraged to try playing right handed before buying a left handed guitar. I'm naturally left handed, but I've learned to do a lot of things right handed for convenience. It's usually not that hard to adapt with no loss of dexterity.

The other thing I couldn't help but notice is that you swapped pickups on a really nice guitar before you even knew how to play it. Forgive my confusion but why?

I'm not judging any of it, like you my first electric was a Gibson LP Standard. I expected a little good natured guff from friends for my decision to spend that much as a beginner and I wasn't disappointed.

I did it for inspirational and motivational reasons. There is just something about a really nice instrument that makes you want to play it. A younger person on a budget would naturally take a different view. Both sides of that one are simply justifying menu choices.

Enjoy that guitar because they truly are great instruments and stop caring what anyone else thinks about it. One, because after putting up with society's crap for 70 years you've EARNED it, and two, because you're doing this for YOU... not anyone else :)

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
The other thing I couldn't help but notice is that you swapped pickups on a really nice guitar before you even knew how to play it. Forgive my confusion but why?

I'm not judging any of it, like you my first electric was a Gibson LP Standard. I expected a little good natured guff from friends for my decision to spend that much as a beginner and I wasn't disappointed.
Maybe because he’s a fan of Billy Gibbons?

Guitpicky

Reaction score
funny i was looking at Standards last night on ebay and Reverb and since i like to buy Studios and clean them up to my liking or a Deluxe i was going to ask what is the difference between :

Studio
Standard
Deluxe
Classic
Traditional
Pro
Custom (sort of got this one fingered out)
other gibson models.....????:dunno:
That's like 20 questions in one :)

lunchbox

Reaction score
First off apologies if this is the wrong area.

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?
I don't know why they'd hate on it other than personal preferences. The Standard has the asymmetrical, slim 60's neck carve, different (more) weight relief, and costs more. Other than that it's just parts, which can always be switched out.

I prefer a Trad, but would never question why you would buy a Standard over one. I'd just figure it's what you liked when you went to try them out.

*shrug*

lpfan1980

Reaction score
First off apologies if this is the wrong area.

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?
Ignore them..enjoy Your guitar.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all of them.

These were grown men not one of which had a Gibson and none could play much of anything. It's a mystery to me why they reacted that way but I won't be going back.

I've been playing for about two months. I am a Lefty.

Will post a photo soon as I figure out how to do it.:)
Sounds good. You got a left handed guitar built like a Trad, that’s a perfect fit.

judson

Reaction score
That's like 20 questions in one :)
yeah i know , was trying to sneak it in......

but was wondering if the Standard is the first step up from the Studios ? and do all Standards have binding?

and so i got carried away a bit.....its friday at MLP ....we can do that.. :rofl:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah i know , was trying to sneak it in......

but was wondering if the Standard is the first step up from the Studios ? and do all Standards have binding?

and so i got carried away a bit.....its friday at MLP ....we can do that.. :rofl:

Fillmore

Reaction score
Guitpicky....no offense taken.

I saw ZZ Top in the seventies when they were still wearing jeans. Billy's tone and playing was amazing so I promised myself if I ever bought an LP it would be as close to Billy's as I could afford.

So to me it was like buying a dream car, I'm only going to do it once so make right from day one. Add the Pickups and tail wrap.

These guys were casual acquaintances that invited me to jam, said they all have played for ten years. My reaction was I waited all this time to hang with some players and learn a few things and my first exposure is a group of fools. Even after 70 years it still sucks.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guitpicky....no offense taken.

I saw ZZ Top in the seventies when they were still wearing jeans. Billy's tone and playing was amazing so I promised myself if I ever bought an LP it would be as close to Billy's as I could afford.

So to me it was like buying a dream car, I'm only going to do it once so make right from day one. Add the Pickups and tail wrap.

These guys were casual acquaintances that invited me to jam, said they all have played for ten years. My reaction was I waited all this time to hang with some players and learn a few things and my first exposure is a group of fools. Even after 70 years it still sucks.
There are a lot of players that saw Billy with "Pearly" and thought and did the exact same thing..... your in good company amigo............

I don't know if you know but there is a special custom shop run of "Pearly"s made a few years back that are to die for.....( i don't know if they made lefties )

A bit out of reach for me..... they're a bit pricey.

smk506

Reaction score
I wouldn’t put much stock in the negative, they were probably just breaking balls.

But, Gibson ownership has been mystified by their slogan ‘only a Gibson is good enough’ and somewhere along the lines people have morphed that slogan to ‘are you good enough for a Gibson?’

Whores swaggle.

The only thing that needs to be ‘good enough’ for Gibson ownership is your checking account.

Kudos for picking up the instrument at 70! I remember starting at 15/16 years old and thinking it was already too late for me to ever be REALLY good when so many of the greats started at the onset of puberty or before.

Yet, here I am, still making noise and still having fun. Do the same, play and have fun, keep learning new things and don’t stop going to jams just because of one bad night that might be a misunderstanding anyway.

Beautiful guitar too by the way, even if it was built bass ackwards ;)

guitaroholic

Reaction score
So did I miss the answer in here?
you ARE left-handed correct? Or is that what they picked up on?

And very nice guitar!