LP Standard Negative Comments

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
There is one inviolable rule that applies here:

Do you like it?

If no, they're right, so find one that you do.
If yes, sodomize them with a mic stand - WTF do they know? Unless they're showing at the jam with a '56 goldtop, your LP is at least as good as theirs.

Fillmore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all of them.

These were grown men not one of which had a Gibson and none could play much of anything. It's a mystery to me why they reacted that way but I won't be going back.

I've been playing for about two months. I am a Lefty.

Will post a photo soon as I figure out how to do it.:)

scozz

Reaction score
First off apologies if this is the wrong area.

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?
I’m just happy there’s a member here that’s older than me!!!

Pay the bastards no mind gramps,....,,

@Christosterone and @mudface nailed it!

Oh and beautiful guitar @DarrellV ,......I don’t think I’ve seen that one! :naughty: :fingersx:

scozz

Reaction score
I’m just having a bit of fun this morning @Fillmore!

:welcome: To the MLP Forum! You’re gonna find a great bunch of guys here who have a plethora of information,.....and we like to occasionally take a jab at each other now and then!:cool2:

BTW,...what kind of guitars do these fellows have that they feel free to bash Gibson LP Standards?!

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
They were playing....two Squiers an Ibanez and an Epiphone.
:rofl:

Well here she is....I had it set up similar to Billy Gibbons LP. Tail wrapped and a set of Pearly Gates Pickups.

View attachment 382096
Very Nice!!!!

Just to clarify, I have nothing against other guitar types. Many of us own more than one of these other brands ourselves. Just having fun.

FWIW I got my first Standard only a couple years ago, in my fifties. I played cheapies my whole life. No Rockefellers in my family tree.

But I've come to realize that, at least to me, there IS a difference in feel and performance of a real pro instrument like the Standard. In how it plays, in how it feels, in how it sounds, and how it looks and how its made.

I bought it for the looks at first, but I've come to really appreciate the difference in the build and performance qualities.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m just happy there’s a member here that’s older than me!!!

Pay the bastards no mind gramps,....,,

@Christosterone and @mudface nailed it!

Oh and beautiful guitar @DarrellV ,......I don’t think I’ve seen that one! :naughty: :fingersx:
:rofl:i have never seen that before,.... i never knew @DarrellV could play well enough to own such a nice guitar....

I learn something new everyday..... :p

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
:squint:

Well, my friend... you have just proven the old adage that says;

'You can only learn something new each day if you start off the day dumb enough'...

:cheers:

:rofl:That's why i'm so dang smart till i wake up...........:hmm:

You're good people @DarrellV ........... Don't let anyone tell ya different.... I have seen your vids.... you're a great player too...well worth a dozen Gibsons. :cheers:

( I just mentioned that for those who don't know i was only kidding about Mr D's playing ability )

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
:rofl:That's why i'm so dang smart till i wake up...........:hmm:

You're good people @DarrellV ........... Don't let anyone tell ya different.... I have seen your vids.... you're a great player too...well worth a dozen Gibsons. :cheers:

( I just mentioned that for those who don't know i was only kidding about Mr D's playing ability )
All good, mate!

And we both have a wife to manage our waking hour smartz for us! :laugh2:

In fact, OP (that's you, Mr. Fillmore in faarum speak) Muddy brings up a good point.

We hope you'll stick around and join us in the fun and discussions.

Lots of really good players from all walks and ages in here.

From bedroom players to rock stars, but I have found it to be true that the best players are the ones who don't brag about it... and this place is loaded with them.

Enjoy your stay! :cheers: