LP Standard Negative Comments

geoffc13

Reaction score
First off apologies if this is the wrong area.

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?
congrats at starting at 70, i started 4 years ago 44, never too old to learn new things,

popeye7140

Reaction score

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?

popeye7140

Reaction score
congrats at starting at 70, i started 4 years ago 44, never too old to learn new things,
First of all, what are the other guitarists in the band playing? And, if you love her and got a price you're happy with, to hell with them lol. I'm a lefty, I just bought a new 2017 Traditional, and for the price, I absolutely love her! Does your guitar have that Gforce tuner, or the push/pull pots for split coil or something like that they might not necessarily like? Even so, screw em! Rock on my friend!

drpietrzak

Reaction score
A "real" guitar player knows that a guitar is like a special friend. You only partially pick them, they jointly pick you. My Les Paul just feels right. It was/is, to me , not the most beautiful in appearance (probably as I am color blind). But it has a connection with me (or I it) that just is there. It that sense it is perfect. I have not found one that is more for me. It took a couple tries to get there.

If the guitar is connected to you, it is the guitar.

popeye7140

Reaction score
Well here she is....I had it set up similar to Billy Gibbons LP. Tail wrapped and a set of Pearly Gates Pickups.

View attachment 382096
She's a Beautiful Lady! I think you might just have a group of envious friends that wish they had that Gibson! I get the Same ribbing when I bring PRS to a gig, and the other guitarist who is a Gibson loyalist starts in on me! I just laugh, because he always compliments the Tone. I love my Les paul Traditional, and my PRS, I think I will bring my 84' American Standard stratocaster next show and come back and tell you what he says about that! lol I also take heat about using my Headrush Pedalboard though the PA, I don't bring an amp sometimes, that makes him nutz too! I'm 60 years old and I don't really worry to much about what others think as long as the crowd is Happy! Keep Rockin!

Attachments

popeye7140

Reaction score
She's a Beautiful Lady! I think you might just have a group of envious friends that wish they had that Gibson! I get the Same ribbing when I bring PRS to a gig, and the other guitarist who is a Gibson loyalist starts in on me! I just laugh, because he always compliments the Tone. I love my Les paul Traditional, and my PRS, I think I will bring my 84' American Standard stratocaster next show and come back and tell you what he says about that! lol I also take heat about using my Headrush Pedalboard though the PA, I don't bring an amp sometimes, that makes him nutz too! I'm 60 years old and I don't really worry to much about what others think as long as the crowd is Happy! Keep Rockin!

Attachments

radiomatts

Reaction score

What am I missing?
Screw them.